• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Brick Recovery

I managed to do this by:

1. Restoring to zv3
2. Booted up to install TWRP
3. Used in-phone factory reset
4. Factory reset via TWRP
5. Installed carrier fix
6. Boot and install updates (will overwrite TWRP)

After that, I got my Boost config back. I am not saying that this will work however, simply that it worked for me.

Actually this method didn't work....This seems to be a problem with flashing the stock firmware. I couldn't figure out why, but when it says "Complete" stock that's not necessarily what would happen. When I booted up after I purchased the phone it did a hands-free activation thing and PRL Upgrade and other network stuff. And installed the virgin mobile configuration. When I flashed the stock firmware it would boot up normally.

I found a solution to this after making a mistake while flashing the stock firmware later on.

I selected "Upgrade DL" and got the Factory Reset Status 2 Error. So I reflashed it correctly using the "Board DL" and this seemed to fix the problem. I booted up with the LG boot animation and then it did a Hands Free Activation and rebooted with the Virgin Mobile Boot Logo. I don't see why though? I've tried this on two different Windows 7 Laptops and got the same result. Is there any way around this so I don't have to flash it twice?

Upvote 0
Actually this method didn't work....This seems to be a problem with flashing the stock firmware. I couldn't figure out why, but when it says "Complete" stock that's not necessarily what would happen. When I booted up after I purchased the phone it did a hands-free activation thing and PRL Upgrade and other network stuff. And installed the virgin mobile configuration. When I flashed the stock firmware it would boot up normally.

I found a solution to this after making a mistake while flashing the stock firmware later on.

I selected "Upgrade DL" and got the Factory Reset Status 2 Error. So I reflashed it correctly using the "Board DL" and this seemed to fix the problem. I booted up with the LG boot animation and then it did a Hands Free Activation and rebooted with the Virgin Mobile Boot Logo. I don't see why though? I've tried this on two different Windows 7 Laptops and got the same result. Is there any way around this so I don't have to flash it twice?
What exactly is your issue here?

Upvote 0
I'm trying DP Tools on my Boost LG Volt (v5) and its getting stuck looking for the phone in download mode. I have the LG drivers installed and DP Tools recognizes the phone.

DP copies the first three files then reboots the phone. I press volume up and enter download mode without a problem but DP still says "waiting for LG serial port".

I tried changing the serial port to 41 as instructed in the depreciated method to see if that'd help but it didn't.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm trying DP Tools on my Boost LG Volt (v5) and its getting stuck looking for the phone in download mode. I have the LG drivers installed and DP Tools recognizes the phone.

DP copies the first three files then reboots the phone. I press volume up and enter download mode without a problem but DP still says "waiting for LG serial port".

I tried changing the COM port to 41 as instructed in the depreciated method to see if that'd help but it didn't.

Any ideas?
I was able to root my BM LG Volt Zv5 using the One Click Root v1.2. I tried to use the graphical version which is the one you are probably getting stuck with, but it errors out after looking for LG serial port. Using the command prompt version worked perfect, though you have to be patient when it looks for device, I think it was maybe between a 5 to 10 minute wait before it got past that and started the process.

Reactions: NeoZiggy
Upvote 0
I was able to root my BM LG Volt Zv5 using the One Click Root v1.2. I tried to use the graphical version which is the one you are probably getting stuck with, but it errors out after looking for LG serial port. Using the command prompt version worked perfect, though you have to be patient when it looks for device, I think it was maybe between a 5 to 10 minute wait before it got past that and started the process.
One Click GUI is doing the same as DP Tools and not finding the serial port once in download mode. I will try the older version like you suggested.
I didn't know I had to wait a while, thank you. I'll give it another go...

Update: The LG Root Script worked flawlessly and fast... as soon as I entered download mode it found the phone. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kwsn
Upvote 0
One Click GUI is doing the same as DP Tools and not finding the serial port once in download mode. I will try the older version like you suggested.
I didn't know I had to wait a while, thank you. I'll give it another go...

Update: The LG Root Script worked flawlessly and fast... as soon as I entered download mode it found the phone. Thanks!
Glad to hear it worked!

Reactions: NeoZiggy
Upvote 0
Very strange! I just used an app (didn't have any permissions) to change my dpi to 220 (which I like better), rebooted and lost root! All it should have done is changed the build.prop file.

I successfully rerooted. To test things I manually edited the build.prop file then rebooted. I still have root. No idea why or how that app unrooted me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
has anyone gotten Link2SD or App2SD to work with the volt after rooting? I am having a helluva time with it and I've followed all the guides.

Use SDFix app for kitkat, then use aparted to split sdcard into a fat32 and an ext4 partition, then use link2sd to link to the ext4 partition. But it still doesnt let me install to sd or link to sd.

also, everytime i create an ext4 partition with aparted, it shows up as ext2??

let me know if you've had any success

Upvote 0
has anyone gotten Link2SD or App2SD to work with the volt after rooting? I am having a helluva time with it and I've followed all the guides.

Use SDFix app for kitkat, then use aparted to split sdcard into a fat32 and an ext4 partition, then use link2sd to link to the ext4 partition. But it still doesnt let me install to sd or link to sd.

also, everytime i create an ext4 partition with aparted, it shows up as ext2??

let me know if you've had any success
You can't install directly to the ext4 position. You have to install, then move/link it. The ext2 thing is normal.

Upvote 0
You can't install directly to the ext4 position. You have to install, then move/link it. The ext2 thing is normal.
i cant get link2sd to mount the partition at all. When it asks what the filesystem is of the 2nd partition when I open Link2SD, i choose ext2 or ext4, but it always gives me Mount Script Error: Mount script cannot be created. Mount: Invalid argument.

so I cant even get the ext4 partition mounted to use?

Upvote 0
i cant get link2sd to mount the partition at all. When it asks what the filesystem is of the 2nd partition when I open Link2SD, i choose ext2 or ext4, but it always gives me Mount Script Error: Mount script cannot be created. Mount: Invalid argument.

so I cant even get the ext4 partition mounted to use?
Is the ext4 partition the second partition? Only thing I can think of off hand. That our something is weird with the partition. I had to partition mine on my computer in Linux. Aparted didn't work for me.

Upvote 0
Is the ext4 partition the second partition? Only thing I can think of off hand. That our something is weird with the partition. I had to partition mine on my computer in Linux. Aparted didn't work for me.
thx bg4m3r i'll try that. I dualboot linux on most of my computers, what partition table did you use and any special flags set on either of the partitions? I usually use the terminal based 'parted' and then mkfs.ext4, should i enable journaling? boot flag? etc

Also, i've read a few of your threads, even one that is aimed more specifically on this link2sd -- you are an extremely helpful individual :]

Upvote 0
thx bg4m3r i'll try that. I dualboot linux on most of my computers, what partition table did you use and any special flags set on either of the partitions? I usually use the terminal based 'parted' and then mkfs.ext4, should i enable journaling? boot flag? etc

Also, i've read a few of your threads, even one that is aimed more specifically on this link2sd -- you are an extremely helpful individual :]
Thanks. I didn't set up anything special. Just deleted everything off the card and made half FAT32 and half ext4, both primary partitions, with the stock Ubuntu disk manager. I don't think there's any point in enabling journaling.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I didn't set up anything special. Just deleted everything off the card and made half FAT32 and half ext4, both primary partitions, with the stock Ubuntu disk manager. I don't think there's any point in enabling journaling.
doing it in ubuntu worked great, now it mounts perfectly. weird that aparted cant properly formate or create a usable ext4 partition. Honestly it makes the app pretty worthless.

Thanks again

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
Hey guys,

So ive just recently purchased an LG Volt LS740 Boost, yesterday. I was wondering has anyone of you guys found a way to root ZV5 without computer. Ive tried multiple times using different root apps. For example, Farmaroot, towelroot, etc.. but nothing happens...

Rooting with a computer is out of the question because my computer done for... :(

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones