• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] FroYo 2.2.1 for Root Users! (Updated 3/3/2011 at 3:40 pm EST - NOW EASIER THAN EVER!)

Thanks

I dont see a velocity toolkit.
Is the velocity toolkit something I install on the phone?

I tried tghis using the term emulator and I it prsented several options.

1) Cosmetic Chnages
2) Perfomance Changes (which is cool. I may try and overclock although i need to read this forum for guidance. Any links to where is this addresses would be appreciated but not nessesary)
3) ROM Utilities
4) Script Options

Which one would I choose to make this update notofication go away?

The velocity tool kit is in velocity 1.1, just starting the scripts and updating them will fix the notifications.

Upvote 0
I'm unable to make it past step 9. Once the software update reaches 30% completion, it stops to tell me that the USB cable and my phone are no longer connected even though they clearly are. This has happened 4 times, and it always stops at 30%..

Nice handle.

I just made an automator for LGNPST, http://androidforums.com/2940797-post92.html most people that have trouble with the beginning of this process have success starting with LGNPST to get to back to stock, after your phone is restored you can follow this guide starting at step 10

Reactions: Broseph7
Upvote 0
It would be c:\froyo\. . . . Since you didnt put the froyo folder on the root of your c drive, it would be c:\documents and setting\(yourusernamehere)\desktop\and the rest of the directory. Come on guy. This is simple stuff. Just gotta find adb.exe and use the directory after the cd command. Also if you didnt put the froyo folder on the root of your c drive, the batch scripts wont work.

ok i got everything to work its just now im having trouble with the bootloader it keeps saying device not found. so it looks like im gonna have to keep trying at that.

Upvote 0
Still awaiting a response in that thread about flashing the stock recovery. Given what I've explained as far as my situation with my phone, would I only have to flash the zip of that stock recovery, or do I need to go through the process of flashing a stock nandroid first? Remember, I'm still using stock, as I never flashed a custom ROM or anything. I just downgraded from 2.2.2 to 2.2.1.
Then no you do not need to flash the nandroid. UNLESS you are rooted. If you're rooted and want to go back to unrooted stock you must. or use LGNPST to go to V6 and take the OTA updates

Upvote 0
Quote:Originally Posted by LGAllyGirl
Oops! It says underneath that #28 is #10 on this forum.

11. Expand "ADB Bootloader Device" (Might be listed as "Android!" Under Other Devices)
This is where I'm stuck now. I don't see either of these options appearing in my device manager.

Sorry for having a million questions, I'm not very technology savvy! :thinking:

Originally Posted by LGAllyGirl
Oops! It says underneath that #28 is #10 on this forum.

11. Expand "ADB Bootloader Device" (Might be listed as "Android!" Under Other Devices)
This is where I'm stuck now. I don't see either of these options appearing in my device manager.

Sorry for having a million questions, I'm not very technology savvy! :thinking:

The phone has to be plugged in and in fastboot, blue screen

I'm having this same problem. I don't see ADB Bootloader or "other devices" in my device manager. My phone is plugged in and I have a blue screen on my phone. All I see in the device manager is:
"ADB Interface
Fastboot interface (Google USB ID)"

I don't understand what exactly "fastboot" means.

I'm using Windows 7. What do I need to do?

Upvote 0
I'm having this same problem. I don't see ADB Bootloader or "other devices" in my device manager. My phone is plugged in and I have a blue screen on my phone. All I see in the device manager is:
"ADB Interface
Fastboot interface (Google USB ID)"

I don't understand what exactly "fastboot" means.

I'm using Windows 7. What do I need to do?

Fastboot is the phones bootloader. Low level interface between the pc and the phone for flashing (writing) file systems.

Now the drivers thing is tricky, ive hear of a few cases where windows 7 has actually been able to find and hook up the drivers automatically, i did it on a friends pc. This is just a matter of getting the pc to recognize the new device and finding the drivers. Sorry i cant be of much more help, ive had this set up for a while and dont remember the details.

Upvote 0
My phone was originally a ZV6 phone which I have updated over OTA updates to 2.2.1 (Have not taken the latest OTA) and is currently rooted. My fastboot does appear to be disabled, as plugging it into a computer and running `fastboot devices` pulls up nothing.

I installed ROMmanager and flashed the amon ra recovery. When I reboot immediately after flashing it, and boot into the recovery, it boots into fastboot instead. In this fastboot mode, fastboot on my computer can see the phone, although `fastboot devices` comes back with:

root@*****:/usr/local/velocity/Froyo/AndroidSDK/tools# ./fastboot devices
???????????? fastboot

so I'm not sure how if it's really fastboot or some broken version of it.

so.... I only have a linux machine, which means I can't really do the downgrade method. Could I just boot into this fastboot and flash Velocity 1.1 as if I had fully working fastboot?

Upvote 0
My phone was originally a ZV6 phone which I have updated over OTA updates to 2.2.1 (Have not taken the latest OTA) and is currently rooted. My fastboot does appear to be disabled, as plugging it into a computer and running `fastboot devices` pulls up nothing.

I installed ROMmanager and flashed the amon ra recovery. When I reboot immediately after flashing it, and boot into the recovery, it boots into fastboot instead. In this fastboot mode, fastboot on my computer can see the phone, although `fastboot devices` comes back with:

root@*****:/usr/local/velocity/Froyo/AndroidSDK/tools# ./fastboot devices
???????????? fastboot

so I'm not sure how if it's really fastboot or some broken version of it.

so.... I only have a linux machine, which means I can't really do the downgrade method. Could I just boot into this fastboot and flash Velocity 1.1 as if I had fully working fastboot?

Because you already have fastboot, there is no need to downgrade. All you need to do is use fastboot to flash the latest amon ra recovery and then boot into recovery and use that to wipe and flash Velocity 1.1

Reactions: vortmax
Upvote 0
even though it's not a permanent fast boot?

Once I reboot the phone normally, I have to reflash the recovery to get it back ... and I can only access it by using the 'reboot into recovery' option in ROMmanager.

Fastboot is permanent. if its locked you can still get in it if you try to boot into recovery abd its messed up, but if you have a phone shipped with zv6 and never used lgmu to update you have fastboot. Your recovery isnt sticking. NOT fastboot, there is a file /system/ect/install-recovery.sh that overwrites the recovery with stock. This is why it isnt sticking. You can delete the file or flash velocity because it isnt in there. But ROM manager is far from the best way to flash your recovery

Reactions: vortmax
Upvote 0
alright. I moved the install-recovery.sh to disable that and wrote over the stock recovery with the flash_recovery tool. Rebooted the phone and it dumped me into fastboot, so I pushed the boot, recovery and system images from the automated linux zip file to the phone and rebooted. I now have a working Velocity 1.1 install.

Thanks

Upvote 0
alright. I moved the install-recovery.sh to disable that and wrote over the stock recovery with the flash_recovery tool. Rebooted the phone and it dumped me into fastboot, so I pushed the boot, recovery and system images from the automated linux zip file to the phone and rebooted. I now have a working Velocity 1.1 install.

Thanks

Yupp! If im not mistaken the files in that zip are 1.0 but they may have been updated. I really dont know.

Upvote 0
I know this is an old post and I'm sorry to reopen it. However, I have recently acquired an LG ALLY with the 2.2.2 update on it. I'm not sure if this will work for me... I have Baseband Version: VS740MV3.6040.1001.....and SW Version: VS740ZVE.

If I follow the steps on the first page will I have a successful root?

-Thanks.

Yes, your root will be successful. It will take you back to 2.1 eclair to get fastboot, and then will flash you to Velocity or stock, gaining root access as well. From there, you can upgrade to 1.2 or whatever you'd like.

Upvote 0
for those whose update fails during the lg update.... reinstalled the androiddriver that was supplied in teh froyo root tools zip.... if you install the lg update software and let it install the android universal driver you will not be able to successfully update to vs740zv6_01

i had this same issue until i reinstalled the proper driver then it took off

also installing su required toggling signature verify to s-off before it would install

I would just like to add that I had to uninstall my LG driver manually in Control Panel before reinstalling the driver in the froyo.zip download. Simply reinstalling over what was already there did not work for me.

Upvote 0
Yes, your root will be successful. It will take you back to 2.1 eclair to get fastboot, and then will flash you to Velocity or stock, gaining root access as well. From there, you can upgrade to 1.2 or whatever you'd like.

It was successful but now i'm running into some issues. I tried flashing clockwork mod, but when I do it reboots and brings me to fastboot. From there I have no control over anything so I have to pull the battery and I don't get clockwork. It brought me to Velocity btw.

What roms will work best for the Ally? or good ones at the very least.

You guys are awesome, Thanks. :)

Upvote 0
Maybe someone else has ran into this. My wife's Ally has had a problem with the gallery app freezing the phone and causing a reboot. No big deal, I call Verizon and they send me a replacement. I made a current nandroid backup of her phone as it was. After I received the replacement yesterday, I powered down the old device and activated the replacement. Everything is working perfectly on the replacement up to this point.
I've rooted and installed Velocity 1.1 on both her Ally and mine, and a few days ago, upgraded both to Velocity 1.2. Both devices have fastboot, and had it from the beginning since both were originally shipped with ZV6. I was wanting to restore her nandroid backup so it would basically be a transparent change to the replacement. I fairly certain that the replacement would not have fastboot, so I followed the guide listed here.I noticed a few things changed since I used it before to root/flash/install Velocity, so I just followed this revised guide to make sure I didn't miss anything. Somewhere along the way here something happened. After reboot from the LGMU software flash back to ZV6-everything started force closing, and the touchscreen was totally dead-no response whatsoever. I went ahead and ran through the rest of the commands listed at #10, and it flashed Velocity 1.1 on the device. That rebooted fine, but no touchscreen at all. Nothing, nadda, zip. Thinking that something had gone wrong with it somehow, I repeated the process, but this time flashed it with stock 2.2.1. Same thing. No touchscreen. SO, I guess my question is this-is it possible that it's something with a hardware revision of the phone, and LGMU screwing up, or just a bad device? Both her old device and my device are HW Rev 1.1, and this replacement is HW Rev 1.0. Any ideas? Verizon is sending another replacement, I just wanna double check that it's not something I'm doing before the 2nd replacement gets here.
JL

Upvote 0
Update, it was just that device. The replacement for it arrived today, and the whole process went smooth and without any errors or problems. The good thing-this new device REALLY likes Velocity 1.2. I've had it running overclocked to 864 running every app on the phone without issue. I've ran multiple rounds of quadrant tests, and the results have been in the 1100's. Linpack scores have been 10.5+ Mflops without a single hiccup.
JL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones