• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] FroYo 2.2.1 for Root Users! (Updated 3/3/2011 at 3:40 pm EST - NOW EASIER THAN EVER!)

I am ready to snap froyo onto my phone, i guess i need to go ahead and do this, i know ill need it for future ROMS. Ive skimmed thru the 200 post on this thread and picked up abit of knowledge. So here are my questions before i do this.

1.) Does my partition on my sd for vo.4 need to be removed?

2.) Does doing this on a laptop change anything?

3.) I DO NOT have a backup of anything...first time modder and bad luck set in. So should i create one before doing this?

I think thats the only questions i have, im excited, but really nervous because its hours of work, which means alot of room for me to Fu*k up, so im trying to read, i wish i hadnt let this thread get 200 post in before i opened it...thanks alot everyone, cant wait to see this

Upvote 0
Where does move2sd enabler says it needs an ext partion? move2sd enabler was designed for 2.2 apps2sd only (which uses the .android_secure folder on the sdcard, which is where the apps are stored.) which is why 2.1 users dont see it on the market. Move2sd enabler is an app that enables it the "easy" way. You can do it manually aswell. See [GUIDE]Full Apps2SD on 2.2 Froyo - xda-developers for the manual way.

Upvote 0
I am ready to snap froyo onto my phone, i guess i need to go ahead and do this, i know ill need it for future ROMS. Ive skimmed thru the 200 post on this thread and picked up abit of knowledge. So here are my questions before i do this.

1.) Does my partition on my sd for vo.4 need to be removed?

2.) Does doing this on a laptop change anything?

3.) I DO NOT have a backup of anything...first time modder and bad luck set in. So should i create one before doing this?

I think thats the only questions i have, im excited, but really nervous because its hours of work, which means alot of room for me to Fu*k up, so im trying to read, i wish i hadnt let this thread get 200 post in before i opened it...thanks alot everyone, cant wait to see this
So to answer your questions, 1) No, you don't need to remove your V0.4 SD partition, nor would I recommend removing the velocity back up folder, it hasn't been said anywhere, and I'm just geussing, but I think when/if Trident makes a V0.5 Froyo Edition, you're going to want both. 2) I used this method on an old Toshiba Sattelite laptop running Windows XP Profesional, no problems. 3) why wouldn't you want to make a back-up, that's like asking if you should get insurance, if it's free, yeah I'm getting the insurance. It's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Hope this helps you on your path to froyo enlightenment and good luck my friend!

Upvote 0
hey guys im getting to 29 and im in the recovery but when i try to apply udate from sdcard it aborts. it says update not found. the final ota i got put me at mvc and not zvc... what am i doing wrong...

Did you do step 7. Extract the contents of froyo_root_tools.zip\sdcard (su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip and update.zip) to the root of your sdcard?

Upvote 0
ugh. question:
im using my ally as a tester device before i do anything to my droid x. i got through flashing through step 17 and now im stuck because my ally isnt on a plan and it wants me to activate it. so i cant set the device to debug mode. is there any way i can get around this without activating my phone?

Upvote 0
yea i did. i did flyinjoe13's guide. it used 1-9 of tridents guide and then the alternative v6 recovery and then put me back on tridents from 28 on but i cant get into step 31 now. its saying fastboot isnt there in comand promt

The only thing I can think of right off the bat is the alternative v6 recovery dose not have fastboot. That's the purpose of making you go all the way back to VS740ZV6 I think, but I'm not familiar with flyinjoe13's guide. Suggestions anyone?

Upvote 0
Should step 2 take 3+ hours to complete? Can someone elaborate on running SDK Manager.exe as an "Administrator" and how you "grab" the following packages from within?
-Android SDK Tools, Revision 8
-Android SDK Platform-tools, Revision 1
-Google USB Driver package, Revision 4

i dont think it should take that long. it didnt take me but a few seconds and to run as an administrator you right click the application and choose "run as administrator". the packages are available under the "available packages" tab in the left task pane. then you just pick the ones you want and download them

Upvote 0
2 questions..

im already running 2.2 via ota i can still use this method? all i want to do is get root and custom recovery and also i got the sdk but some of the revisions have been updated , from 8 to 9 and from 1 to 2. that wont be a problem will it?

I don't know about rooting after the OTA update, but I used the new SDK revisions (9 and 2) with no problems.

Upvote 0
20. Now open Device Manager

21. Expand "ADB Bootloader Device" (or something similar - should be at top of device tree)

22. Right click and choose "Update Driver"

23. Select "I will choose driver to install"

24. Navigate to where the Android USB drivers are (eg: C:android-sdk-windows\usb_driver)

25. Choose "android_winusb.inf" and accept that this is an unsigned driver
it should notify you that the driver was successfully updated.

26. Go back to Command Prompt and type:
I got up to here and after renaming the files as described in a previous post - I was unable to open up an adb shell and run fastboot -w. Typing adb shell alone said no device and after trying several times I'm with a stock phone and lots of frustration.

Upvote 0
Trident, there are a few issues:
#15 should be cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools (credit: AfterAffekt)
After #15: Open SDK and go to Available Packages>Google Inc>Google USB Driver Package
Before #17: Windows 7 users: Upon entering fastboot and letting Windows choose your USB driver you must click on the update and choose SKIP WINDOWS UPDATE
Vista/XP users: Open the containing folder that has the new google drivers (e.g. google-usb-driver) and find android_winusb.inf
#23 you need to move the contents of \platform tools into the \tools folder (just so AdbWinApi.dll is in the directory)
after #28 you should have a disclaimer to not let your phone boot. immediately pull the battery or hold the button combination right away

That's about it :) only 4 hours to complete too!
Lomar24,
So on 15, I should enter "cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools" instead of "VS740ZV6_01.cab" when prompted for the cab file?

Upvote 0
While in the phone update process and before the "Downloading the LG Mobile Phone Software Update program" gets a chance to start I keep getting an error that says: "KP500-Utils-EN.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience..."It then closes the program and a lose was I was working on? Can someone tell me what I need to do to get this to stop? I have been working on this for hours and would hate to stop after getting this far... :thinking:

Upvote 0
Says Problem with communication between cell phone and PC I've installed the drivers from the Froyo root package and to no avail. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated...

Also here is the log, I don't know if it will help with my question though

i got the same error but only after it almost completing the first time and i pulled the battery too soon. is there any way around it? my phone works just fine except this one thing to downgrade. did anybody get this and try D2A's alt method?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones