• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to Root the HTC One V

Using the volume keys, scroll down until you loop back to the top. the up to loop to the bottom, then down to loop back to the top. You should see a message at the bottom about power menu enabled . The power button will now work to select. Or you can just flash TWRP recovery. It's a full touch recovery and much better in my opinion.

Reactions: weinerdog70
Upvote 0
I hope I didn't mess it up further. Before I saw your posts I think I nuked the stock OS/data.

If I do a standard reboot it just hangs on the white HTC splash screen. I can still get into the HBOOT menu by holding down the volume and it still shows unlocked at the top. However, if I choose Recovery it goes straight into the TWRP menu.

From there I have a bunch of options but none of them seem to do anything. I thought maybe I needed to then install the 'CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip' but that doesn't seem to change anything either. I rooted an HP touchpad in a matter of minutes so this is seriously making me feel like a dim noob.

Upvote 0
I think my problem now is this step:

5B. Copy CWM-SuperSU-v0.9x.zip to your SD card.

When I first tried this I had that file on an external SD card, but I think I recall reading after that that the file MUST be on the phone's internal SD storage, correct? When I've done the command line stuff to unlock the bootloader, etc I've hit the 'HBOOT USB' on the phone simultaneously and it's managed to work.

But I can't figure out how to get the phone to show as a drive so I can get the SuperSU zip on the internal storage. The only thing (I think) on there is the TWRP files/program, which loads if I choose 'Recovery' from the phone hboot menu.

As far as root checking app....not sure.

Upvote 0
I think my problem now is this step:

5B. Copy CWM-SuperSU-v0.9x.zip to your SD card.

When I first tried this I had that file on an external SD card, but I think I recall reading after that that the file MUST be on the phone's internal SD storage, correct? When I've done the command line stuff to unlock the bootloader, etc I've hit the 'HBOOT USB' on the phone simultaneously and it's managed to work.

But I can't figure out how to get the phone to show as a drive so I can get the SuperSU zip on the internal storage. The only thing (I think) on there is the TWRP files/program, which loads if I choose 'Recovery' from the phone hboot menu.

As far as root checking app....not sure.

It doesn't require the .zip to be on the phone's SD [which is the ROM, as I am told]. It just has to be on the micro SD card in your phone. This can be transfered in 2 ways:
  1. Go to phone settings
  2. Select Connect to PC
  3. And select Disk mode
This is how the phone communicates to the PC. Also, make sure USB debugging [Settings->Developer tools] is on and Fastboot [Settings->Power] is off.

Hope this helps!
~123386761

Upvote 0
I was able to get CWM-SuperSU-v0.9x.zip copied to the sd card and flashed that. Next I flashed Cyanogenmod 10 zip and then the Google apps zip. Then I rebooted the phone and it's hanging on the Cyanogenmod logo (lovely neon blue rotating circle).

I tried rebooting again but it's still stuck there. After I rebooted my pc did recognize the phone as an HTC Android device. I really hope I'm close. If I had any hair I would have pulled it out by now......

Update: nevermind - I think I might have bricked it. I can't get into the recovery options, and it just hangs on the white HTC splash screen with the 'This build is for development purposes only'. If anyone can help via PM it would be greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to paypal a bit for your time. (hangs head in shame)

Upvote 0
Thanks so much! I was able to restore it to stock and activate it thanks to your instructions. Not sure if I'll mess with trying again, at least any time soon. I must be worthy first. Minor thing...the Primo link in that post is dead, so maybe it just got moved somewhere else.
It looks like Football has been banned and all his posts removed. JMZTaylor has taken over his work. The link is fixed.

How long does it take for the email to send I'm at this screen
Token Submitted Successfully!

You've been sent an email with your unlock key as a file attachment. Please review this email for further instructions and a link to complete the Bootloader process.
I've always gotten it within seconds. Anyone else had to wait longer?

Reactions: stefan67
Upvote 0
Reactions: sellersj27
Upvote 0
this is my first time doing this. that being said. i unlocked the bootloader. got the recovery image on there and when i reboot it is stuck on the htc quietly brilliant "this build is for blah blah blah" page and won't load past that unless i hard reboot it and have to bring up the bootloader again. what am i doing wrong? i've looked everywhere and and tried a bunch of different recovery images. can anyone help me please?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones