• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to Root the HTC One V

how long can this step take? it's been almost two hours on a screen w a black top hat and w yellow/orange load circle. this was after i selected install zip from sd card (it went immediately to this screen, there was no option to select a specific zip)

5C. Restart the phone into HBOOT again and select Recovery. After Recovery has launched, choose install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select CWM-SuperSU-v0.9x.zip.

Upvote 0
I was flashing a custom ROM. And I don't know what I did wrong but now stuck at the htc logo with the red instructions below it. I created a backup when I rooted my phone as instructed by you. BUt even when I restore it it doesnt go back to original state? Please help
Also I am not able to find a RUU. And how to check if the RUU is correct for my phone? What all to check? Radio hboot version etc?
It'll be awesome if you can provide a link that works. The previous one provided seems to be broken.

Upvote 0
You are not bricked. If you can still get to the htc logo screen with red text then all you need i think is to select another recovery. CWM is not the one I would use. I trust twrp. Once you have it installed,do a full wipe of the device including cache,dalvik-cache,system and factory reset. Then install custom rom,then reboot to bootloader(option is in twrp reboot menu) with usb plugged in to pc and flash the boot.img to the device that came with the rom. that should get you up and running.

Upvote 0
I am new to this rooting and i wanted to try it out. got through step 3 fine. bootloader unlocked. got to step 4. none of the links gave me a legitimate recovery so i skipped on to step 5. clicked the link taking me to another forum post with MANY links. none took me to the specified .zip file. was it moved somewhere that i can't see it. all help will be appreciated.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if you found your answer yet but after you have flashed your recovery
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
you'll then have to boot into recovery manually either by press pwr button to select bootloader and then volume down button to select recovery and pwr to boot your custom recovery.......

Or send cmd
Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

I know in the cmd it say 'bootloader' but it will boot you into your recovery

Upvote 0
I am also a noob and I have three very important questions about rooting the HTC ONE V (VIRGIN Mobile version)! It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help : )

1.) How do I make sure I don't root the NEW HTC ONE V rather than the old. I have the OLD Virgin Mobile HTC ONE V. But I am having a ton of issues with getting info for the new one. What steps must I take to make sure that my root is for the proper phone?

2.) Will I still be able to use my Virgin Mobile call service in the same way? Will I still be able to reload my minutes through their website etc? Or do I have to flash it back on to the phone?

3.) Will I have the same telephone number?

I know these are basic questions but I figured it's worth asking.

Upvote 0
I am also a noob and I have three very important questions about rooting the HTC ONE V (VIRGIN Mobile version)! It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help : )

1.) How do I make sure I don't root the NEW HTC ONE V rather than the old. I have the OLD Virgin Mobile HTC ONE V. But I am having a ton of issues with getting info for the new one. What steps must I take to make sure that my root is for the proper phone?

2.) Will I still be able to use my Virgin Mobile call service in the same way? Will I still be able to reload my minutes through their website etc? Or do I have to flash it back on to the phone?

3.) Will I have the same telephone number?

I know these are basic questions but I figured it's worth asking.

Whenever you say 'new' and 'old' or have read about it, they are speaking about what radio you have, for me to assist you further I need you to boot into bootloader and tell me the information that is printed on it

Yes your number will stay the same

And to reload minutes or top up all you have to do is use the browser and go to virgin mobile's website and pay there, no biggie.

Ok "How do I 'boot into bootloader' ?"

Hold the power button down for like 12 seconds and you will see the hardware buttons flash.... As soon as your phones screen turns off release the power button and hold down the volume -(down) rocker. This will boot you into bootloader. Right down what you see and post it here for further help. To boot back into your OS (Operating System) use the volume ticket to navigate with and power button to select fastboot. Once in fastboot use your volume rocker to navigate to reboot and press the power button.

Upvote 0
Thank you for great instructions... Rooted my OneV successfully! :)
Getting rid of the bloatware with Greenify has made all the difference in the world - phone is (fairly) quick to respond to touch. Used to hang for minutes.

but...

I am trying to install an app from Play that needs android 4.1 or better, and I am getting a message "not compatible". When I go to Settings>About , I don't see an android version, what is there is "Software version" 1.10.652.6 710RD

So... what version of Android is this??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones