• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Handcent is free. You are getting exactly what you paid for with the Handcent application.

Use the stock MMS, no reason not to anymore. Or ChompSMS.

If you are not happy with the phone (and this isn't a phone problem it is an application problem) change to a different phone that you are happy with.

Handcent is instant on the Nexus one. Damn that is a nice piece of hardware....

Upvote 0
For everyone going back to the stock app... after the MR update from sprint i figured why not use stock since the battery issue was fixed. It worked great for a little while but unless u remember to delete ur threads when they start getting large, like over 500, it will bog down just like handcent. So there is only temporary relief in switching programs... I really wish android had the option to set certain things to save to the sd card like old text messages etc. or at least a program that could automatically delete ur threads when they get over a certain message count. Oh well maybe one day that will happen.

Upvote 0
wow thanks for all these responses!
see, i went to Handcent because originally I had that BankofAmerica text update problem, so the stock msg app would start sending texts to all the wrong people and mixing up contacts in different threads and stuff..
so i did a hard reset then that problem was solved but i found out about the phone's sleeping issue... and decided to stay with Handcent. my battery life has improved noticibly but this lag to start Handcent just sucks.

i havent rooted or done anything else to my phone, its all stock programs.

looks like we're in the same boat because i can't receive none of my mms from the new updated handscent and that bankofamerica was a bitch wasn't it?! i want to switch to the stock but i'm not exactly sure if this would fix the problem. guess i gotta do some trial and error

Upvote 0
For everyone going back to the stock app... after the MR update from sprint i figured why not use stock since the battery issue was fixed. It worked great for a little while but unless u remember to delete ur threads when they start getting large, like over 500, it will bog down just like handcent. So there is only temporary relief in switching programs... I really wish android had the option to set certain things to save to the sd card like old text messages etc. or at least a program that could automatically delete ur threads when they get over a certain message count. Oh well maybe one day that will happen.

Don't know if you're familiar, but you can search for "SMS Backup" in the Market. It backs up every text message to your Gmail account. The beauty part is, it labels it with an SMS tag and places in in an SMS folder in your Gmail inbox. It also "threads" it convo style just as normal Gmail messages do, so you essentially have the entire conversation in your Gmail inbox w/o it being on your phone. ANother great feature is, you can set it to automatically save incoming messages. I received a text yesterday and within 20 seconds it was in my Gmail SMS box. I don't have any messages on my phone anymore, as I now just delete them after reading them.

Saved a bunch of space and did actually speed things up a bit. I don't really ever have to open handscent, because when I want to compose, I just long press the search button to get a quick compose box.

Upvote 0
I'm on my phone and the "similar threads" thing didn't pop up so...

Anyone else using Handcent have a serious lag when you open it?
Like I mean 5 to 10 seconds before my text threads pop up.
It didn't used to do this when I first started using it, and every once in a while it pops up right when I click it... but 9x out of 10 it lags real bad.

Damn and my text input on the internet lags too. Damn.
Help? :)
I agree. The settings for Handcent is great. But the lag time is not worth the wait. I just uninstalled it. I went back to stock msg. I changed my camera to 3 mega pixels, so I can send picture mail. Stock messaging is so much faster.

Upvote 0
Fellow geeks! I just removed Handcent for the 7x. I would like to use the app but it's just too slow. And honestly theres too many settings. I spoke with the Dev plenty of times. There is no solution for this app. It's bloated like a women on her period. I have also set my pixels to 3, you can't tell the difference if your not printing pictures out. The stock application is faster and simple, hands down. Even though I like the settings of Handcent I'm never going back!

From Baltimore MD to Piscataway NJ!

Upvote 0
Fellow geeks! I just removed Handcent for the 7x. I would like to use the app but it's just too slow. And honestly theres too many settings. I spoke with the Dev plenty of times. There is no solution for this app. It's bloated like a women on her period. I have also set my pixels to 3, you can't tell the difference if your not printing pictures out. The stock application is faster and simple, hands down. Even though I like the settings of Handcent I'm never going back!

From Baltimore MD to Piscataway NJ!

I agree. I abandoned that App weeks ago. I do like some of the customization, but there is sometimes too much to deal with. Also, it is hands down slower than the Stock app, which is simple and too the point. I don't need Iphone like bubbles in a text conversation, and I like how the stock app shows us Facebook pictures or saved contact pictures.

Upvote 0
hi..this might be a dumb question..but i really can't figure it out..

how can i set handcent to default as ABC rather than XT9 when i enter text..

i was able to do it wid the stock sms..but i can't figure it out on handcent..

thanks in advance..

When I use Handcent, whatever I last had it set on is what it will use when I go back to Handcent. So if you switch it to ABC then it should stay that way unless you change it (although I'm not sure if it will revert back after rebooting)

Upvote 0
thanks v425

i wasn't clear with my question..

i still use the stock keyboard for my phone..when i reply to my texts it is always on XT9..i swith it to ABC..right before the keyboard disappears, after i press reply.. i notice that it switches itself back to XT9..this happens only when i use handcent though..

Upvote 0
thanks v425

i wasn't clear with my question..

i still use the stock keyboard for my phone..when i reply to my texts it is always on XT9..i swith it to ABC..right before the keyboard disappears, after i press reply.. i notice that it switches itself back to XT9..this happens only when i use handcent though..

That is definitely strange because when I text in either Handcent or the stock app it will stay on whichever setting I last selected. I searched if there was a default ABC/XT9 setting but didn't find one in either app or the phone in general.

Maybe it matters which keyboard type you use (full, compact, or phone pad). I use the compact QWERTY

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones