• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Has anybody tried to flash 1.6 on Bell's I7500L?

Has anybody tried to flash 1.6 on Bell's I7500L?

Yep, flashed it after removing the AMSS and Cache.img from the .tar file. Works like a charm. It's fast and WiFi is improved (Kept dropping on all the 1.5 versions, but not a single drop since I put 1.6 on).

This is awesome, I was iffy about buying this phone (Only bought it last week), but this just made me happy about my purchase (bought it straight out).

Now to wait for a 2.1 release so we can have Multi-Touch!

Upvote 0
I just did. Got really scared because after the reboot it was taking more than 10 minutes.

Than I saw in some brazilians foruns (I am brazilian an can read portuguese) that might be necessary to do a recovery (volume down + call + turn on/off)

Now it is working and with new icons!

Looks great.

PS. Although mine is a Bell device it does not show I7500L on system info.

Alan

Upvote 0
My device was unlocked.

What I did:

1) Installed NPS 1.4.0 (because of the drivers)
2) Got Odin 3.95 with .ops file from the link here in the forum.
3) Removed amss and .img file from the tar file using jzip program
4) Set up odin with the new tar without the files and .ops file (also checking the option "one file")
5) Connected my device and turned it on in download mode (volume down + ok + turn on/off), after that odin recognize it.
6) Pressed start on odin program

Afterwards, I did not do anything else but wait until the reboot and the "pass" state in odin.

Then I went crazy because the phone was not rebooting, and found out the "recovery option" (volume down + call + turn on/off), and afterwards android 1.6 booted with new marked, improved U.I, and wifi bug apparently fixed (now it remains connected).

Upvote 0
I ended up with using fastboot
../fastboot flash system system
sending 'system' (89133 KB)... FAILED (remote: data too large)

You cant use fastboot for very large files, like the system image :(
You will need to use a PC and odin.

I am not sure if must be unlocked. I read in a post here that was necessary, but I do not know if that is true.

What I know is that if you unlock with Bell you gotta pay 75$. Maybe would be better to get a 3rd party to do the job. (Dont know any, I did with Bell).

Alan

You dont need to be unlocked. That is just in the modem, and doesnt affect this at all.

Upvote 0
Yep, flashed it after removing the AMSS and Cache.img from the .tar file. Works like a charm. It's fast and WiFi is improved (Kept dropping on all the 1.5 versions, but not a single drop since I put 1.6 on).

This is awesome, I was iffy about buying this phone (Only bought it last week), but this just made me happy about my purchase (bought it straight out).

Now to wait for a 2.1 release so we can have Multi-Touch!

Worked for me as well :)

Upvote 0
I have joined the 1.6 club and so far so good. I want to add my two cents on the update that was very easy. I would like to comment on Alan's excellent steps because that is what I primarily followed with success.

1) Installed NPS 1.4.0 (because of the drivers) Samsung.ca only has 1.3 but it worked fine.
2) Got Odin 3.95 with .ops file from the link here in the forum.
3) Removed amss and .img file from the tar file using jzip program
4) Set up odin with the new tar without the files and .ops file (also checking the option "one file") To clarify the odin.ops must be selected as well as the One Package, the other paths are empty - see my screen shot below
5) Connected my device and turned it on in download mode (volume down + ok + turn on/off), after that odin recognize it.
6) Pressed start on odin program
7) Phone reboots and eventually ODIN says PASSED

I also did a factory data reset before and certainly again after the update. SETTINGS..SD CARD..FACTORY DATA RESET. Once everything was settled my phone worked but my data did not, I had to manually add the pda.bell.ca APN via SETTINGS..MOBILE NETWORKS..ACCESS POINT NAMES.. MENU ADD pda.bell.ca and MENU SAVE.

snazzyodin.JPG

Reactions: Zero-K and ct2020
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones