• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has anyone bought an Android Tablet, and started ignoring your phone?

PRkid

Android Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2011
Bronx, NY
Sooooooo. I am thinking about buying myself an Android Tablet, but I'm scared that if I buy one, I am going to start ignoring my phone, and will only use it for text messages. I paid $400+ for this phone (LG Esteem from MetroPCS), And it will not be a good idea to just stop using it :/ the reason why I might stop using it, is because its obviously going to be better than the phone; bigger display, and most likely faster. So has anyone "cheated" on their phone, with their tablet?

So has anyone "cheated" on their phone, with their tablet?
Not really. Web browsing duties have fallen to my tablets (iPad 3rd gen and HP TouchPad w/CM9). I've also started using the TouchPad more for Gmail maintenance (was pleasantly surprised to find the Android/ICS app works better than the iOS one).

Other than those duties, my phone still gets more use. It's just more convenient than the tablet. I can easily carry my phone inside my jeans pocket and quickly whip it out to check email, weather, movie times, restaurants, maps, etc. Even if you had a smallish (~7") 3G-capable tablet, it will still be more unwieldy (and considerably heavier) compared to a smartphone.

Seriously though, $400 for that phone? I guess that's one of the downsides to prepaid CDMA service. So glad there are plenty of nice, unlocked Android GSM phones for $300.

Upvote 0
I recently purchased a Tablet, and when I'm at home, I do most of my browsing, pdf/book-reading, and 75% of app using on Tablet now. Tablet is ultimate battery saver for phone ;-)

However, some apps only work on mobile, tablet is not easy/carefree to carry around, cameras are next to useless on most Tablets so if you have a decent camera on your phone you will be using that.

One negative side of using multiple devices is that you need to start to worry about syncing certain apps via server because you use those apps on multiple devices.

Reactions: PRkid
Upvote 0
I would agree wit the above. I use the tablet more at home and the phone more when I'm out and about.

I'd agree with that, if I'm waiting in the car for the other half to finish shopping etc, waiting at the docs, on the bus or whatever, surfing on a phone is ideal. I'd feel silly doing that on the tab.

I certainly use my handset less, but it is in no way obsolete.

Upvote 0
Sooooooo. I am thinking about buying myself an Android Tablet, but I'm scared that if I buy one, I am going to start ignoring my phone, and will only use it for text messages. I paid $400+ for this phone (LG Esteem from MetroPCS), And it will not be a good idea to just stop using it :/ the reason why I might stop using it, is because its obviously going to be better than the phone; bigger display, and most likely faster. So has anyone "cheated" on their phone, with their tablet?

Heh.. my tab is complaining that I "cheat" when I use my phone. :D

I now have Text+ for the tab, wifi only. ;) Browse the net with the tab, wifi only. Game with the tab.

Well, I do make phone calls with the phone. Tab's too big for that for me. :D

Upvote 0

Not at all.

They serve different functions. I got the Asus Slider as sort of a netbook replacement, personally. And I have an HTC Incredible for my smartphone.

They're for different things. I actually found I prefer to have my calendar just on my phone, with alerts. But I prefer to have my to-do on my tablet. Personal music collection? Smartphone. Radio? Both. Pandora? Just the tablet.

If I need to look something up super quick, like, say, check to see if I have an email and if so if it's something I need to respond to now - my phone is faster and easier for that. But if I do actually have to respond to it now and it's more than a sentence or two, then I pull out the tablet.

Some apps that I put on my phone and loved in theory, but never seemed to get much use out of, suddenly became viable when I had a bigger screen to work with, like Pulse. Loved it, but it was too much of a pain to read it on a tiny screen. Now I check out Pulse every morning on the tablet while I have coffee.

See something I want to take a picture of? Phone, no contest. Who wants to hold up a tablet and take pictures?

But if I want to take pictures of hand-outs or material for class, that I take/store on my tablet because reading it later is obviously better on a bigger screen.

Google Maps as I'm on the move? Phone. Google Maps for planning ahead? Tablet.

If I'm just ambling and not going to be doing any real work that day? I might not even take the tablet at all. It's obviously much bigger and heavier than a smartphone (especially mine, since it has a physical keyboard).

My data use for my phone decreased modestly - by about 0.2gb per month. But I'm still using more than enough to justify paying for it.

They really are different devices for different things. I'd recommend just being clear on WHY you want a tablet, and WHAT you will use it for. I didn't jump the gun until some viable keyboard options came out, because I knew, as a writer and a student, that I wouldn't use it without a good keyboard (bluetooth? no way).

My dad got a tablet without a clear picture of why he wanted it. It now collects dust on his nightstand. But I use mine every single day.

If you see a clear purpose for both, you will use both. If you don't, you will probably stop using one or the other.

Upvote 0
Actually, I was the other way around. I bought a tablet, and ignored my tablet in favor of my phone. I'm just not ready for a tablet I guess, I still prefer to use my computer when I'm at home, and my phone elsewhere. A tablet is just too big for me to carry around imo, especially for late night 9gag browsing in bed :p

I don't mean to make that sound kinky btw...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones