• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hate My Eris, Convince Verizon to Upgrade?

Ugh, I just really don't want to have to deal with an Eris anymore. My brother's has issues just as bad as mine. I simply don't trust the model of phone anymore.

What other issues are you and your brother having other than Force closes? I have 3 family members that own the Eris and they have absolutely no problems except having to charge the phone every night.

Upvote 0
I'm no newbie to this kind of thing, I've spent plenty of time with computers (built 35 systems myself) to know what's normal OS behavior, and this is definitely not normal OS behavior, especially for Android. It's like getting a blue screen of death five times a day; that is not normal and if it were a desktop, I'd simply open 'er up and fix it. Since Verizon doesn't want us doing that (with risk of invalidating my warranty), I have no choice but to go through them. I've already posted the issues I've experienced elsewhere in this forum and been told it is not normal by some of the pro members.

Also, I don't see how being forced to remove my battery five times a day because the entire OS locks up is "crybaby" stuff. It's like getting a video card for your desktop that constantly overheats when underclocked, or getting a toaster that burns your counter. Bad product. No consumer should be forced to use a product that simply doesn't work, no matter who distributes that product.

So if this is not normal behavior, have you taken your phone to ask for an exchange? They can give you another Eris that should not have the force closes. I and most others don't get them like you are describing. If I did, I'd take my phone back and ask for another.

Upvote 0
What other issues are you and your brother having other than Force closes? I have 3 family members that own the Eris and they have absolutely no problems except having to charge the phone every night.

As mentioned above, major lock-ups every couple of hours, forcing battery removal.

Also, all the music players I've tried stutter. I haven't been able to listen to a single song that doesn't stutter when it starts.

Upvote 0
As mentioned above, major lock-ups every couple of hours, forcing battery removal.

Also, all the music players I've tried stutter. I haven't been able to listen to a single song that doesn't stutter when it starts.

Dude I don't think it is the Eris line, I think it is your phone. I have never had problems with the HTC music player either at 1.5 or at the 2.1 leak. Never had to remove my battery once either and I went through the whole "install every thing in sight cause this is really cool" phase.

Also any force closes I have ever had were specific apps. You got a bum phone or installed something bad.

Upvote 0
i have never had to pull the battery or reset mine.
running 2nd 2.1 leak and almost every free app on the market:)

there is something wrong with your phone. get it replaced.

i've never had music stutter, never had a lockup, anything. sounds like you got a lemon, OR

one of the apps you use is doing it.

still, i can't get mine to lock up. even if i try.

Upvote 0
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Menu > Sort by Size > Click on the apps and clear the cache

Also check how much internal memory you have left

Settings > SD card & phone storage > Look under Internal phone storage
This should never be under 20-35MB

There are a lot of apps/processes to clear... how do I clear all of them?

Upvote 0
I'm surprised at everyone jumping down this guys throat.

There are two issues here:
1) You have a phone that seems to be broken

2) You want an upgrade

Verizon should absolutely remedy item #1. You paid for a phone that works; yours doesn't work. You should get what you paid for - a working Eris.

However, that is all you are entitled to. Not an Incredible. But you should have a working phone that doesn't require you to battery pull over and over. Mine doesn't, and neither do the Erises of the rest of us here.
And I think once you've done basic troubleshooting, restored it to factory state, and still have these problems, I think you've done enough. Verizon should pick it up from there.

I hear everyone calling you crazy for asking for the Incredible, but I don't hear anyone validating the fact that you have a defective phone....

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
I hate my Eris. I'm sorry, everyone. I can deal with a slow processor, but I can't deal with so many force closes. I've never been so frustrated with a phone in my life! I can't tell you how many times I've been forced to remove the battery to restart the damn thing because it freezes like Windows 95.

So... How can I convince a Verizon rep to move up my upgrade when I show him/her the videos I took of all the bugs? Has anyone else done this? I've been eyeing the Incredible, and I've found I need something more powerful anyway.

How would you go about convincing a rep to upgrade you? I was thinking of expressing my distaste, show the videos of all the bugs, and complain that 2.1 keeps getting delayed, even though it was promised in early 2010 when I purchased it (part of the reason I got it).

Chances are the Force Close issue will still happen with the Incredible. That issue is with shoddy software and Google's inept attempt to police applications with quality coding i.e. Q&A. I learned quickly and removed most of my apps and still not 100% FC free however it's functional.

Google has to really step up their game or Android is going to look like Windows with malware, viruses, Force Close crashes, etc before long.

I can't believe some of the crap listed on the Android Market Place don't they have any checks?

Do a reset back to factory and try to run stock for a few days and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I typically use CardioTrainer, Meebo, Skype, Advanced Task Killer, and Bump.

Any thoughts of that being his problem???? I had all kinds of issues when i first got the phone because I was used to windows and got the task killer...uninstalled that...had no problems....just a little lag....installed Zeam instead of Sense and lag went away too...this phone is GREAT no complaints at all now

Upvote 0
I'm surprised at everyone jumping down this guys throat.

I hear everyone calling you crazy for asking for the Incredible, but I don't hear anyone validating the fact that you have a defective phone....

Yes, it has been validated several times above....

Seagull84...you seem like a nice guy so I'm not fussing...just saying that you really can't complain much more until you take the phone back for a replacement. If you really want an Incredible...look at the creativity that people here are using to get one.

Upvote 0
I hate my Eris. I'm sorry, everyone. I can deal with a slow processor, but I can't deal with so many force closes. I've never been so frustrated with a phone in my life! I can't tell you how many times I've been forced to remove the battery to restart the damn thing because it freezes like Windows 95.

So... How can I convince a Verizon rep to move up my upgrade when I show him/her the videos I took of all the bugs? Has anyone else done this? I've been eyeing the Incredible, and I've found I need something more powerful anyway.

How would you go about convincing a rep to upgrade you? I was thinking of expressing my distaste, show the videos of all the bugs, and complain that 2.1 keeps getting delayed, even though it was promised in early 2010 when I purchased it (part of the reason I got it).

Not gonna happen.

I should also mention I'm the account owner for my entire family. What if I threatened to move us all to AT&T once the contract is up? Not to mention one of the bugs is that the lock screen locks up every couple hours or so, thus the constant battery pulling.

I hear this a million times a day. When I am more than reasonable with people and give them multiple options and they say I'm not giving them any options, I remind them that I gave them 3 options but they just don't like it. When I hear "Well, I'm going to cancel..." I say "Ok, the ETF totals are $700 (or whatever they are). How would you like to pay that?" That gets people thinking that the "I'm going to ATT nonsense" doesn't work. If anything, it makes me want to do less for you.

Well they wont care if you switch to AT&T. They have plenty of customers. If Verizon allowed you to upgrade to the Incredible at a discounted price, it would be unfair. If they allowed it, then Verizon should give all Eris users Incredibles. :D

I was going to congratulate you on your post til I read "unfair". Sometimes life is unfair, oh well. Sometimes we will step outside the box for a customer depending on the situation. Just because we did it for one person, doesn't mean we will be doing it for the person standing in line behind them.

It really depends on how close you are to your renewal date. For example I was able to get my wifes phone upgrade date moved up a month....although I had to make a few calls and be persistent about it. They will tell you they can't move the date after April 1st, but this is BS because they were able to move my wifes on April 6th.

Also I had a problem with a Palm phone I had with them, went through 4 phones in 2 weeks, I bitched enough to get them to get me a new phone. Once again they will tell you after April 1st 2010 they cannot do this, its a lie, they can.

Persistence is key.

Too much calling in will get your account flagged with notes that pop up automatically telling them they have told you that you cannot get a different phone. Keep that in mind...

See ya! Is what they'll say if they have any sense. I have an account with thirty lines and I can get away with some crybaby stuff occasionally but tend not to take that road since I have to hear it from 29 other users. Now what I really don't get is why you think you deserve and want an incredible? Let's see you don't like this HTC product but you have to have another? You just want an excuse to grab the latest phone. Delete some of the crapapps and deal with it or pay up.

+1.

I will say, you business customers get a nice deal with VZW :D Pretty much whatever you want, depending on how many lines you have and things.

I'm no newbie to this kind of thing, I've spent plenty of time with computers (built 35 systems myself) to know what's normal OS behavior, and this is definitely not normal OS behavior, especially for Android. It's like getting a blue screen of death five times a day; that is not normal and if it were a desktop, I'd simply open 'er up and fix it. Since Verizon doesn't want us doing that (with risk of invalidating my warranty), I have no choice but to go through them. I've already posted the issues I've experienced elsewhere in this forum and been told it is not normal by some of the pro members.

Also, I don't see how being forced to remove my battery five times a day because the entire OS locks up is "crybaby" stuff. It's like getting a video card for your desktop that constantly overheats when underclocked, or getting a toaster that burns your counter. Bad product. No consumer should be forced to use a product that simply doesn't work, no matter who distributes that product.

There would be nothing you could fix by opening up the phone anyway. Of course we don't want you opening up the phone and making it worse.

Oh, and you had time to test the product before you bought it in the store. Again, I hear it so many times a day... "This phone sucks!", "I should have never bought this!". YOU were the one who made the choice, we didn't shove the Eris down your throat.

Any thoughts of that being his problem???? I had all kinds of issues when i first got the phone because I was used to windows and got the task killer...uninstalled that...had no problems....just a little lag....installed Zeam instead of Sense and lag went away too...this phone is GREAT no complaints at all now

ATK is not a problem, if anything, it is helping the poor Eris. People say that it is bad for the phone, some say it makes it slower, but I can tell you that it is a 100% fact that when I run ATK on the Eris, it runs better. It's a simple fact.

Look at it as an auto transmission vs. a manual. Sure, an auto does what it wants, but if you want a better driving experience, you get a manual because you control it because (usually) the driver knows best. Letting the phone decide what it wants to run is not the best way, IMO. I know when the phone isn't running right, the phone might not. If it did know, when the phone would start to lag, it would automatically fix that and it doesn't. I will defend any task killer to the death anyday. I put it on every single phone we sell and show customers how to use it.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
The simplest solution would be to root your phone and see how you like it afterward.
The fact of the matter is that verizon won't just allow you to replace a phone because of minor software issues. Also the warranty is a hardware related one, therefore it would be htc replacing the phone not verizon.

Android is run on the linux kernel and is open source. Rooting your phone would allow developers/users to solve their own problems instead of waiting months for the next patch from the distributor. Also many of your software issues would be solved in the 2.1 update.

The warranty should not be a problem if you take care of your phone, and it is also almost impossible to brick your phone once you flash the recovery image.

If you still don't like your phone after you root it with 2.1, you can always buy the incredible or the droid, then sell your rooted eris on ebay or craig's list or even the local wanted ads.

~~~~

Or you could just stick with your phone how it is and wait for 2.1 ota.

Upvote 0
ATK is not a problem, if anything, it is helping the poor Eris. People say that it is bad for the phone, some say it makes it slower, but I can tell you that it is a 100% fact that when I run ATK on the Eris, it runs better. It's a simple fact.

Look at it as an auto transmission vs. a manual. Sure, an auto does what it wants, but if you want a better driving experience, you get a manual because you control it because (usually) the driver knows best. Letting the phone decide what it wants to run is not the best way, IMO. I know when the phone isn't running right, the phone might not. If it did know, when the phone would start to lag, it would automatically fix that and it doesn't. I will defend any task killer to the death anyday. I put it on every single phone we sell and show customers how to use it.

And I will disagree emphatically with that statement. I had ATK on my eris twice..when i first got it...and had all kinds of problems...sense force closing...apps shutting down, manythings....took it off problem solved...tried ATK again about a month later..problems cropped back up again. Even tried it on my girlfriends droid, same problems, got rid of it problems went away.

I think alot of the lag with this phone is sense. Since i removed sense and installed zeam I have gone almost two weeks of HEAVY use, with no reboots and not clearing the cache and it has not lagged a little bit.

So I agree that the android system does not need ATK it will allocate resources as needed, however i think the Sense UI causes some issues.

And for you as a sales person to put ATK on every phone you sell has got to be some sort of violation. It is NOT your phone and you should not be putting ANY applications on a phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones