• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Having a HUGE problem with my Rooted Galaxy S5

A

Android Question

Ok Im having a HUGE problem. My phone worked fine at first, then I rooted it and used titanium backup to restore all my apps from my old phone (an lg volt) to my current phone an S5... everything was fine. My phone recognized my SD card, when I plugged the phone into my PC it would show my correct phone internal storage as well as my sd card storage. Then I ran link2sd to relink all my data to my sd card... even though i didnt need to because unlike my old phone which was 8gb the s5 was 16gb and had more than enough space to run my apps without the link2sd. If I had left that alone we wouldnt be where we are now. However I didnt so here we are.

Link2sd had message saying something like "this device doesnt support /sdext and has to be changed to sdefs (i know im getting the message way wrong but it was something like that) these settings can be changed via slider". So I clicked yes to let it do what it had to do. after all if I didnt like the results I could always change back via the slider right? link2sd required a reboot after the changes were made and now when it boots after the samsung and sprint logos and before the lock screen Im staring at a black screen that shows the time and "no connection" for about 30 secs before the lock screen shows up (this didnt happen before link2sd made whatever changes it made) and the "process system not responding" message shows up. Though the only adverse affects Ive sen from that so far is when I open Gallery it stops and closes automatically so I cant even use it.

However I couldnt find said slider and now when I hooked my phone to PC it shows no external storage and reads my internal as 127MB free of 128mb (yes that right... 128 mb.. on a phone thats supposed to be 16gb). When i go to storage on the phone itself It said sdcard unmounted (as if theres not one there) and my internal storage shows 9gb used of 14gb so the PHONE knows how much gb I should have but my pc doesnt. Also if i take the sdcard out of the phone and plug it into my pc directly everything shows up on it just as it should so i know the sd card isnt broken.

I posted this on XDA but theyre taking too long to respond so I troubleshooted on the net.

So I found solutions like reboot phone in recovery and have it wipe cache. I did that.... didnt work. Then I tried unrooting the phone and factory data reset (from the phone settings not from the recovery boot). Despite doing a factory rest which SHOULD fix ANYTHING wrong with the phone, delete all apps and make it run just as it did when you got it. That black screen between logos on lock screen still pops up and I get the "process system not responding" message still appears. Now my PC doesnt see my phone at all when Its plugged in.

So I tried booting in safe mode to see if that message still comes up and the answer is yes but now my pc sees my phone (no sd card in it but I doubt it will see it if it was) however it still displays the storage as 127mb of 128mb

So link2sd started this whole problem and factory reset wont even solve it. Ive provided plenty of details. Can this be fixed or if my phone pretty much done now (i can still use it for texts and calls but, its useless hooked to a pc, doesnt recognize external storage anymore and I cant use the gallery sooooo yea. I hope someone has a solution.

How did you "try unrooting the phone"? Do you know if it actually unrooted the phone?

I used supersu which is on the phone then choose full unroot. it said something about flashing stock rom when unroot might make phone unusable if you manually changed anything. (which i didnt really understand but said ok, after all I wasnt using any custom rom anyway so stock was ok as far as unrooting I assume and i dint manually change anything soooo). So I hit ok it did its thing and the phone rebooted. Then I downloaded super SU root checker from the app store to verify that the phone was indeed unrooted, and it is.

Upvote 0
I used supersu which is on the phone then choose full unroot. it said something about flashing stock rom when unroot might make phone unusable if you manually changed anything. (which i didnt really understand but said ok, after all I wasnt using any custom rom anyway so stock was ok as far as unrooting I assume and i dint manually change anything soooo). So I hit ok it did its thing and the phone rebooted. Then I downloaded super SU root checker from the app store to verify that the phone was indeed unrooted, and it is.
While pressing full unroot in SuperSU will remove the binaries, any changes done while rooted stay intact. If you have stuff that's important to you backed up, flash the correct firmware then everything should be fine.

Upvote 0
While pressing full unroot in SuperSU will remove the binaries, any changes done while rooted stay intact. If you have stuff that's important to you backed up, flash the correct firmware then everything should be fine.

Well after all the issues I had which are explained in the first post (lets not just focus on the unrooting part please). I FACTORY RESET the phone to try to solve my problems yet they still persist. Now in my limited technical experience a factory reset brings a device back to eh state it was in when it was brand new, thus everything you had on it gets deleted) so generally if that doesnt fix your problems nothing will, am I wrong or right? If im wrong then this is whee I expect to find solutions that might succeed where factory reset failed.

Also the System process not working error was there BEFORE the unroot attempt. So whatever I did to screw up the phone in the fist place link2sd is the culprit

Upvote 0
Well after all the issues I had which are explained in the first post (lets not just focus on the unrooting part please). I FACTORY RESET the phone to try to solve my problems yet they still persist. Now in my limited technical experience a factory reset brings a device back to eh state it was in when it was brand new, thus everything you had on it gets deleted) so generally if that doesnt fix your problems nothing will, am I wrong or right? If im wrong then this is whee I expect to find solutions that might succeed where factory reset failed.

Also the System process not working error was there BEFORE the unroot attempt. So whatever I did to screw up the phone in the fist place link2sd is the culprit
A factory reset won't undo what you did.... Neither will pressing full unroot, the system and or partitions have been modified.

Easy fix flash the correct firmware.

Upvote 0
ok then the question becomes where would i find teh correct firmware and how do I flash it
You could try Samsung Smart switch if your device is compatible, or download the firmware from sammobile. Smart Switch being probably being the better option for you.

If it doesn't support your device. I can give you a quick run through on how to download the correct firmware & flash it, provided I'm still awake... If I'm not awake @Jfalls63 will probably be online sometime and can walk you through.

Upvote 0
well i found the firmware on samsung updates.. but its download mirrors send me to sites that will take 5+ hours to download a 1gb file unless I pay.. surly theres a faster way? Also is installing Samsung Kies or Samsung mobile drivers necessary? I mean I already have odin on my PC as its what I used to root the phone and I never downloaded or installed Kies or mobile drivers and it worked just fine (maybe the one click odin root stuff i downloaded came with the mobile drivers or Kies already since when I unzipped it I notice I have 1-2 more iles than most of the odin stock rom flash videos on youtube show).

Upvote 0
Ok so lets say reflashing the stock rom makes my internal storage on my pc display 16 gb again and lets my sd card work on my phone (and display on my pc) again. After that wouldnt rerooting the phone (so i can retsore my titanium backups) just cause that problem again..

Note: rooting the phone the first time didnt cause the problem, nor did restoring my titanium backups the first time... the problem didnt start until AFTER i opened and used Link2sd.. which this time I plan to completely avoid. infact I've already deleted all traces of it from my sdcard and my titanium backup.

Upvote 0

While were on the subject.. since I replaced my old LG Volt with the galaxy s5 Im not using.. I used SuperSU on my LG volt and used "unroot" (as it too was rooted). I didnt get any kind of message afterward (unlike what I got on the S5) then after that I was finished I went into settings and factory reset the phone. THAT phone seems to function just fine after the reset no "process system not responding" errors, no gallery closing right after opening etc etc, none of the problems that plagued my S5 right after doing the same thing. Sooo am I to assume that the LG VOlt is fine and wont require a stock rom flash?

Upvote 0
While were on the subject.. since I replaced my old LG Volt with the galaxy s5 Im not using.. I used SuperSU on my LG volt and used "unroot" (as it too was rooted). I didnt get any kind of message afterward (unlike what I got on the S5) then after that I was finished I went into settings and factory reset the phone. THAT phone seems to function just fine after the reset no "process system not responding" errors, no gallery closing right after opening etc etc, none of the problems that plagued my S5 right after doing the same thing. Sooo am I to assume that the LG VOlt is fine and wont require a stock rom flash?
As long as it's not under warranty and in need of repairs other then the OS it's fine.

Upvote 0
Well everything SEEMS to be at least but the original question was. Why would one phone work fine after preforming steps that "broke" another phone?
Well it could be because they are different devices, different hardware, maybe different OS versions. It could be quite a few different things.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones