• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Having trouble viewing the forums

acraftylady

Android Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2013
I mostly view the forum from my phone so haven't read it from my computer in a few weeks. Got on my laptop tonight and this is what I see from IE 11 and same with Firefox but the site looks normal on my phone. Not by the desktop to check there yet. Does anyone have a clue what happened to the view in my computer browser? Mary

Untitled_zpso6pbgsfq.jpg

Well it's the same from the desktop using IE and firefox. Went to the main site. Clicked on phones. Found the S5 and clicked the tab for forums and I still see that funky page. Will go ask on my go to forums for computer help. Strange it's on both browsers as I strictly use IE so I know I couldn't have messed with anything in firefox. Mary

Upvote 0
I follow a lot of forums and position to the first unread post ... a lot.\ using Internet Explorer

The current "feature" ...

If I start by positioning to the first unread post it does not permit me to scroll before that post.

It gets better ...

If I select the dot or the date of the last post it positions me to the first unread post.
If I select the name of the thread ... it positions me to the first unread post.

The only workaround ... select the link on the date of the first post and that will take me to post #1 in the thread.

... Thom

Upvote 0
If I select the name of the thread ... it positions me to the first unread post.
I just tried it in IE11, Thom and clicking on the thread title in the forums list takes me to the first post in the thread.

I also go to the first unread post when clicking on the thread title like Thom (but I can scroll).

If I've already read part of the thread, the URL for the link in the thread title name ends with "/unread" just like the blue dot. Example:
http://androidforums.com/threads/having-trouble-viewing-the-forums.895439/unread

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I also go to the first unread post when clicking on the thread title like Thom (but I can scroll).

If I've already read part of the thread, the URL for the link in the thread title name ends with "/unread" just like the blue dot. Example:
http://androidforums.com/threads/having-trouble-viewing-the-forums.895439/unread

When I rollover the thread title I do not see the "/unread" appended to the url like i do when I rollover the blue dot. Perhaps there's a user setting somewhere that sets a preference for always going to the first unread post?

Reactions: kate
Upvote 0
I just tried it in IE11, Thom and clicking on the thread title in the forums list takes me to the first post in the thread. I'm not sure why you aren't seeing that. What version of IE are you using?

It started working again about 8-12 hours after I left the message. It has happened before and healed itself. It comes and goes.

It exhibits the symptoms of "someone working on it". If the intent is to drive away visitors the inconsistency in simple navigation is a great way to accomplish it.

The real question is ... why does it keep cropping up?

... Thom

Upvote 0
I just went through my profile settings and didn't see any options for going to unread posts.

Maybe it's a permissions type issue from the site upgrade, similar to how only some users had the Edit button at first?

No I think it is a "feature". (Feature is what we call a bug.)

The problem is that it comes and goes.

The positioning is from operating off of a listing of messages ...
The dot takes you to the first unread.
The title takes you to the first message.
The date under the title takes you to the first message.
If started at the first unread you are permitted to scroll up to a previous message.

When it is broken ...
The dot takes you to the first unread.
The title takes you to the first unread.
The date under the title takes you to the first message.
If started at the first unread you are not permitted to scroll up to a previous message.

No I did not change my profile.
No I did not clear the history on my browser.

... Thom

Upvote 0
OK I will try that when it happens again and report the results.

As reported ... I did not clear the cache and it eventually started working again. This is a pretty strong indication that something was "changed" that started the problem and then something was "changed" that eliminated the problem.

... Thom
Cache is dynamic therefore cache errors are as well.

Because of this, Phases always asks us to clear cache and retry - not as a panacea but because it helps focus the devs on where the problem is not.

Iow, if that's it, there's your fix and if it's on their side, your defect report has one less unknown.

PS - moves and merges on our part can induce cache errors fwiw.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
It happened again with the most recent thread in the Droid forum.

I cleared the cache and restarted IE and of course logged into Android Forums again. It then would allow me to start at the last post in that thread and scroll up and down.

I went to a thread in this forum. I started with the last post and it would not allow me to scroll. I exited the thread and tried again. The second time I was allowed to scroll.

In both cases ... selecting the name of the tread took me correctly to the first post in the tread (as opposed to the last post in the thread the way it did when it failed previously).

A visitor should not be forced to work this hard to simply navigate up and down in a thread.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones