• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

hello, AT&T question

ROYCE13

Lurker
Nov 12, 2010
hi im new to the site and new to the phone (g1) and had a few questions and was hoping i could get some quick answers here

i was recently given a g1 by my cousin who was obviously with t mobile, i have at&t and just recently got the g1 unlocked today. i dont have a data plan with at&t and was wondering is their anything i should do so that i do not see data charges on my phone bill? i tried looking for the answer but got mixed answers. when i try to connect to the browser it just says there is no internet connection, i can go on the internet only if i am using wifi.

I think it is hit and miss, but you have a better chance of going un-noticed with a non-At&t device. I assume from the way you stated your question, you are happy with using the device as "phone only" on At&t network and then using it on Wifi for data. If that is the case, you might be ok, especially if you aren't using a cheap dataplan for a non-smart phone. Worst case, if they do find you and force you into a data plan, you can use the $15/month plan, which isn't real expensive.

I don't know if there is an app on the market that will block 3G access and only allow wifi access.

Good Luck.

Ps, if your cousin as another to give away, I will be more than happy to test it for you :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones