hello, AT&T question

Last Updated:

1. ROYCE13

ROYCE13 New Member This Topic's Starter

hi im new to the site and new to the phone (g1) and had a few questions and was hoping i could get some quick answers here

i was recently given a g1 by my cousin who was obviously with t mobile, i have at&t and just recently got the g1 unlocked today. i dont have a data plan with at&t and was wondering is their anything i should do so that i do not see data charges on my phone bill? i tried looking for the answer but got mixed answers. when i try to connect to the browser it just says there is no internet connection, i can go on the internet only if i am using wifi.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello Royce, welcome to Android Forums.

Congratulations on getting a new phone.

I moved your question out of the Lounge area to the AT&T forum where it's more likely to get an informed response.

3. nb_mitch

nb_mitch Well-Known Member

I think it is hit and miss, but you have a better chance of going un-noticed with a non-At&t device. I assume from the way you stated your question, you are happy with using the device as "phone only" on At&t network and then using it on Wifi for data. If that is the case, you might be ok, especially if you aren't using a cheap dataplan for a non-smart phone. Worst case, if they do find you and force you into a data plan, you can use the $15/month plan, which isn't real expensive.

I don't know if there is an app on the market that will block 3G access and only allow wifi access.

Good Luck.

Ps, if your cousin as another to give away, I will be more than happy to test it for you :D

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Go to settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks and uncheck "data enabled". This will stop the phone from using and data on mobile networks, but WiFi should still work (it does on my Nexus.) However, with mobile data disabled, a lot of the sync'ing service will not update.