• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root help cant factory reset my htc desire

sammiewhoo

Lurker
Apr 14, 2013
i need to factory reset my htc desire, it has been telling me i have low memory storage and then forced closed everything on it.
i turned the phone off and it wont reboot just stuck loading mildwild .
i have gone into the boot page and now im trying to factory reset however it wont let me select this? how do i do it?
if i need to use the little round button at the bottom then im in for trouble as this button doesnt work on my phone ? can anybody help ? :(
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=291331

The better way would be to select "recovery" from the menu and use that to do the reset, as it gives you more options (eg just delete cache and dalvik). However, that only works if you have a touch recovery, as the older ones use the optical button to select.

To select anything from the hboot menu (recovery or reset) use the power button. I think it actually says that on the screen.

Upvote 0
when i try and use the power button to select it just takes the screen away and when i press it again it brings it back up ?

so iv started the phone and selected bootloader ( selcted using the power button)
then i have scrolled down to recovery and selected using power button.
its loading the htc start up screen.
now its in recovery mode and gives me reboots system now , apply update from sd card, wipe date/factory reset etc....
im trying to just do a factory reset and be done with it but this is where i am having problems selecting.
if i press the power button it takes the screen away and shows me a hat with an orange loading thing (which is in the background anyway) and if i press the power button again it just brings up the options again :(
im a serious technophobe by the way :(

Upvote 0
If you are in recovery already that's different from hboot. From recovery you use the screen (4Ext touch recovery) or the trackpad (ClockworkMod or Amon-Ra). If you can't use the trackpad I'd advise installing a touch recovery - easy if you are S-Off, not otherwise.

If you want to do a factory reset and can't use recovery you can do it from the hboot menu, which is what I thought you were in ("boot menu" to me meant hboot). If you don't see it there, select fastboot to get the other menu. It's on one or other of the menus - may be called erase user data, as that's all a factory reset is. Hope you have everything backed up before doing this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones