• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Aww dude.... I hope nobody flames me for this post :8

Rooting the phone gives you access to the system on the phone that would otherwise be excluded from the user.

Advantages of rooting the phone include...
A) ability to install software to enhance the performance of the Xperia X8 (e.g JIT)
B) ability to install software to enhance user experience of the Xperia X8 (e.g xRecovery, Link2SD & Custom ROMs) since SONY has already reported that the Xperia X8 will not get any more software upgrades beyond Android OS Eclair 2.1 when everyone else are going to Gingerbread 2.3 or Honeycomb 3.0.
C) ability to uninstall/remove bloatware/trial-ware included by SONY that the user does not want to use (e.g. TimeScape)

Having said that...
D) If you want to try out an app or a game that does not have a freeware or lite version before you buy it. Then the following might help.

Step 1: Launch Market -> get Astro File Manager (free)

Step 2: Google whatever app/game you want (must be a xxxxxxx.apk) -> download the file

Step 3: Mount phone using PC and copy to SD Card

Step 4: Launch Astro -> install xxxxxxx.apk

Launch the app/game and away you go.....

Disclaimer:
The intention of writing this post was to educate. I do not condone piracy/theft of software. Please buy the app/game if you want to use it and/or if it is permanently installed on your phone.

Reactions: ImCresent
Upvote 0
Hmm...

Youtube and Timescape are part of the system setup by Sony Ericsson so you got to have root access <SuperUser> and a read/write capable file manager <Root Explorer>.

WARNING
You have to be careful when you are deleting files from your system folder.
If you delete the wrong file you risk having to re-install your phone's firmware or worst case scenario brick your phone.

DISCLAIMER
I am in no way responsible if ANYTHING goes wrong with your phone. Follow instructions at your own risk.

METHOD
assuming you have "rooted" your phone
<launch> Root Explorer

SuperUser should now popup (Permission given to Root Explorer for Root Access)

<click> System
<click> App
<click> <Mount RW>
search for the app .apk file you want to delete
<click & hold> <delete>

Be careful... only deleted known [xxxxxxxxx.apk] files.

And that's it... Cheers

"...with power comes great responsibility" - Stan Lee

Upvote 0
Looks like now we got new pro :D

"with great power, comes great responsibility - Spiderman" lulz xD sorry for offtopic :p

Hi,

I am no pro... :)

I just bought a secondhand Xperia X8 last week.
I wanted to tour the Android world & use and feel how the Android OS works.

I do therefore I learn, I learn therefore I do some more - Sonny Barger (Leader of Hell's Angels)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones