Help!!! Damaged SD card!!!General

Last Updated:

1. bigbohizzle

bigbohizzle Active Member This Topic's Starter

I just woke my phone after a phone call and now it says that the sd card is damaged and I need to reformat everything!!! I have over 200 pictures of my newborn son on here that I can't loose. Can someone please help.

I even tried to hook the phone up to the computer and nothing even shows up.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Have you considered a data recovery utility, such as Zero Assumption Recovery?

There are many, some free.

3. bigbohizzle

Not really sure how to do that. can you help me do it?

4. Frisco

5. bigbohizzle

I just tried that and it doesn't recognize that there is anything in the card.
    Is there anything else

6. Frisco

Are you sure the card was mounted before attempting the steps?

I'm wondering a few things about your situation, not the least of which is how full the card was prior to error messages, and also how the damage came about.

If the phone is otherwise functioning normally, usually that means that recovery of lost data on the card is likely because something such as a power surge while charging the device did not ruin it.

If my card became corrupted or elicited error messages, the first thing I would do, following a battery pull and reboot, is use a data recovery utility such as the one I pointed you to.

Next, having failed that, I'd purchase another sd card and make sure the system sees it and it does function and that the problems are not "off card" related.

Incidentally, this is a good lesson in the necessity of doing frequent data backup to the hard drive of your computer. ;)

7. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Well-Known Member

if you have a PC that reads micro SD cards, you can try and take yours out and see if your PC will read it.

8. Frisco

Yeah, that little adapter that came with the card can come in handy.

I had a friend tell me her sd card "went bad" after leaving the phone in a hot car. She could read it on her computer, but not in the device. I thought the phone was messed up, but the data recovery utility allowed her to transfer it all to a new card and she was good to go.

9. bigbohizzle

I am going to get a card reader because it works in recovery but not in the phone itself. I just want the data and then I can reformat or whatever. Thanks for all the help. I will let you know the outcome.

10. Frisco

Sorry we can't be of exacting help, bigbohizzle.. but perhaps you're on the right path.

Do post your findings as that is the stuff that makes this forum so useful.

11. gospodinwizard

gospodinwizard Well-Known Member

Well said Frisco. Backing up is an absolute must. Every few days I use Acronis TrueImage on the PC and make a complete image of the SD card. The entire process took about three minutes.

12. cornbreadfarts

cornbreadfarts Well-Known Member

i feel for you. i would be trying everything just like you are to get those pics back of my newborn. i don't have any help for ya, just wanted to wish you luck.

13. Sytar

Sytar Well-Known Member

I had this issue happen once, I think it was from when I removed the cable without dismounting the card and it was accessing stuff.

What I did to fix it was, I put the card into a reader on my PC and it was able to access everything, so I backed it all up.

I then was ready to format the card, I decided to do a check first on the card, and did a scan disk on the card. This completed, and when mounting it back into the phone everything was working again.

14. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen the first time I downloaded a froyo rom and flashed it. Without unmounting, I popped it out and then popped it back in. Everything still worked and it didn't give me a message in the notification bar to reformat again. It's apparently pretty common.

15. Eric2

Eric2 Well-Known Member

If you give up on trying to recover your data, you might try reformatting the card. I did with mine after a failure, (using tool in link below), and it worked. Lost my data, but at least I saved my 16 GB card!
    http://androidforums.com/1033361-post8.html

16. bigbohizzle

Ok so I was able to save most of the pictures but the Sd card was corrupt. I had to reformat it and now I do not have any nand back ups. I just did one so that I have my latest but how do I get back to the original 2.1 if I have phone problems?

Frisco I did use that program and it worked great to get most of my pics!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!

17. thehorv

thehorv Member

I was getting the same error on my phone, I even tried to unmount the right way on the SD screen in settings. After doing so I received the Damaged SD Card error...

I re-programmed by phone using *228 and now the error is gone and I can see my SD when I sync with my PC which I was not able to do prior to this.

Hope this helps someone sometime...

18. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Well, I would never have thought that *228 would do anything for the SD card, but we've seen some fairly strange things around here.
    Thanks for the tip.