• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP! EVO wont boot, keeps restarting itself at Sprint screen!

My phone has the same problem as most of the problems here. It will start up, it'll get to the Sprint 4G network logo and continuously loop over and over. Thing is this has happened to me once before while i was at work and it seemed to have fixed itself. Now I've tried most of everything that was recommended in this thread (except factory reset) and I'm still stuck in said loop. I really cannot afford to lose my contacts because I believe they're based on my actual phone and not Synced to my Google account. Please help!

Upvote 0
My phone has the same problem as most of the problems here. It will start up, it'll get to the Sprint 4G network logo and continuously loop over and over. Thing is this has happened to me once before while i was at work and it seemed to have fixed itself. Now I've tried most of everything that was recommended in this thread (except factory reset) and I'm still stuck in said loop. I really cannot afford to lose my contacts because I believe they're based on my actual phone and not Synced to my Google account. Please help!
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!
out of curiosity, what did you do to get your phone in this state?

and i do not think that you can avoid wiping your phone to get it back to a usable state. bootloops can be tough to get out and sometimes even a factory reset might not work. but i think at this point you will have to decide what is more important to you, your phone or your contacts. i would do the factory reset. but that is up to you.

if the factory reset does not work, we can try a ruu to get you back, but that will also wipe your data as well.

Upvote 0
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!
out of curiosity, what did you do to get your phone in this state?

and i do not think that you can avoid wiping your phone to get it back to a usable state. bootloops can be tough to get out and sometimes even a factory reset might not work. but i think at this point you will have to decide what is more important to you, your phone or your contacts. i would do the factory reset. but that is up to you.

if the factory reset does not work, we can try a ruu to get you back, but that will also wipe your data as well.

I honestly don't know what could've happened to put it in the state its now in. I've had it for a year and its actually pretty beat up. Cracked Screen, Headphone jack doesn't work and a couple other miniscule things. The last time it did the 4G logo loop was a while back when I dropped it at work. I let it loop on its own a bit, turned it off for awhile and then turned it back on and it was just fine.

Upvote 0
My phone (htc evo 4g, original one) also locked up on a reboot. Got the white screen then animation then back to white screen and it just looped. I followed the instructions below and was able to get back into my phone. However, every time I reboot the phone, it locks up again. Not sure what is going on with it. Its not rooted, and I dont have a whole lotta aps installed. Wonder if I should start deleting what apps I have to see if that helps.
I tend to think its more of an internal issue and not an app issue. Any advise out there to fix this? Unfortunately, Im not in a position to lose my phone for any length of time due to work.
Thanks in advance for any help.

My phone had same issues yesterday and I did exactly as suggested by Carolocity up to the point when the red triangle appeared on the screen. I plugged the phone to charge the battery while waiting for the red triangle warning to disappear and proceed to booting. Till this morning around 11am nothing happened, the red triangle was still on. So I removed the battery, waited few seconds, put the battery back and pushed the "on" button and it booted just fine. All data from contacts, sms, voicemails, call history is intact! I'm now backing up the data to my computer and SD card. I thank God as it is a miracle. I had called Sprint and HTC support, all had one option, to reset the phone and lose all the data. I was not ready to lose my data. I thank God for this forum as I was miserable with the idea of losing my data.

Upvote 0
My phone kept restarting and only getting to the 4G screen. Because of this, there were only a couple options. Taking the battery out for any number of minutes didn't help. I couldn't get in my phone.

I read a bunch of stuff in forums and was prepared to do a hard reset (this is my only phone and it is a holiday). I'd rather do that than wait for Sprint to not solve my problem. Here's what I did.

1. Hold down the "down volume" button while holding power.
  2. When the screen comes up, choose "recovery"
  3. I didn't have my SD card in there and it showed a little error screen, so I powered down, inserted the card, and powered on again regularly
  4. My phone booted up fine with everything as it was beforehand!
I have heard several people claim Advanced Task Killer or similar programs are culprits of these and other problems. I'm going to try going without those for a while. I hope this helps others out there.

God bless ya! IT WORKED! I can't thank you enough.

Upvote 0
it keeps looping 4g to sprint then back and forth again. i tried holding down the power and down button but it still keeps looping. please somebody please help. i need my phone. oh, i don't have a sprint account either. so i gotta do this myself.
Welcome to AF!!
Are you trying to do a reset?
You said you didn't have a Sprint account. What carrier are you on?

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, my I had my evo on charge and went to sleep with remote pc running, when I woke up it was really hot and kept restarting at the 4G animation. I mean, it was seriously on repeat, says 4g, then starts over again, then sprint.. 4g and restart. I can't get it to boot and I need my phone ASAP!

I've tried booting with the usb connected, sd card in and out, everything. Nothing works. I even went to the recovery like I was doing an update to get it to at least reflash the firmware or something and it FAILS. Keep in mind, I updated a couple weeks ago with the newest EVO software manually (the one without the fps cap), so the file should still be on the SD card exactly how it was when I updated the software last.

This is what it gives me:

E:can't open /cache/recovery/command
E:can't mount DATA:data/recovery/log
--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.
E:Can't mount DATA:data/recovery/HTCFOTA/update_result.log
E:Can't mount DATA:data/recovery/OMADM/update_result.log
E:Cant mount DATA:data/recovery/log

What the hell do I do!?!?

Thanks, Jay
hey this is what i did that worked because i was having the very same issue. When starting the phone up press the power and down volume button at the same time, that will lead u to a menu. what i did was go down and something should say fast reboot, all of my contacts and everything was still there nothing was lost. this is just a quick and easy way to fix it but if there are farther issues you should go to your stores carrier

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones