• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HELP! Galaxy Note 4 — Screen/power off/restart issues, cryptic system forced download message!

vonSader

Lurker
Jun 2, 2018
Hello.

I have a Galaxy Note 4. It had 72% battery remaining.

When my alarm went off today, whereas normally the screen illuminates allowing one to swipe the alarm off, today the screen wouldn't activate.
I tried pressing the power button to start the screen, but no joy. Tried keeping it pressed to see if that would force the restart/power off option menu, but again no joy.
I removed the battery and replaced it. No joy.
I used a spare battery and it started up with a screen saying...

Could not do normal reboot.
ddi:mmc_read failed
QDIN MODE (HIGH SPEED)
Product name: SM-N910F
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Custom
Reactivation Lock: Off
Knox Warranty void: 0x0
Qualcom SecureBoot: Enable (CSB)
RP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A, P1
Secure download: Enable
VDC Start

Downloading...
Do not turn off target!!

It has now been downloading for over 5 hours.

Does anyone have an idea what happened, what caused it, how long should the download take (it seem's frozen, as there is no dialogue as to progress), if there is anything I should do or look for or do & is it likely to work again?

Many thanks.

I'm not a Samsung expert, but I'm not sure whether it really is downloading or has just gone into "download mode". We need someone familiar with Samsung devices for that.

mmc_read failed is a little ominous, since "MMC" refers to your phone's storage, and the implication that it's failed to read the internal storage is not good.

The rest all looks normal apart from system status "custom". Have you ever modified the phone (unlocked a bootloader, flashed a recovery or ROM, etc, even if you have subsequently restored it to stock)?

Reactions: mikedt and Jfalls63
Upvote 0
I'm not a Samsung expert, but I'm not sure whether it really is downloading or has just gone into "download mode". We need someone familiar with Samsung devices for that.

mmc_read failed is a little ominous, since "MMC" refers to your phone's storage, and the implication that it's failed to read the internal storage is not good.

The rest all looks normal apart from system status "custom". Have you ever modified the phone (unlocked a bootloader, flashed a recovery or ROM, etc, even if you have subsequently restored it to stock)?

The fact it say's "Downloading" make's me think it probably is/was attempting downloading/attempted to; but like your good self I'm no Samsung expert at all, and am more than likely wrong.

Yeah that does sound ominous, but once again, who actually knows 'til it either resolves itself and works or dies a death.?

I've neither rooted nor modified the handset. It is as it was from the factory, as far as I know.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
"System Status: Custom"
....can mean that something has attempted to modify and/or compromise(root) it. Have you installed any apps or games from outside of Google Play or Samsung Apps, like have you installed any APKs downloaded from websites? I'm not really a Samsung expert either, but I've had them in the past and have read about them on AF.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
"System Status: Custom"
....can mean that something has attempted to modify and/or compromise(root) it. Have you installed any apps or games from outside of Google Play or Samsung Apps, like have you installed any APKs downloaded from websites? I'm not really a Samsung expert either, but I've had them in the past and have read about them on AF.

Never. I am always careful about safe apps from a safe source.
The phone is dead now anyway. It was plugged in charging, with the original message displayed, and it suddenly shut itself down and refused to either accept a charge or restart.

Short of miracles, I'm pretty sure it's a brick now, which is so very annoying!

Upvote 0
Hi, is your battery ok, they can die quite suddenly and spectacularly, can you start it in download mode? Phil

I'm persuaded, as you suggest, that it might well have been a battery issue. But it is now moot as the phone, which worked 'til last night, died a final death while I slept and won't start, accept a charge or recognize any of the 3 full spare batteries I tried on waking.

I can't help but feel it *wants* to work, that there might still be life in it, but buggered if I know how to coax it out.

Spectacular death indeed.

Upvote 0
I experience similar issues and have found a few tricks.
Try this for any time your phone was plugged in and turned off where after it will do nothing.
Remove the charge cord.
Remove the battery.
Long press the power off button for a good 10 seconds.
Replace the battery and power on.

Stuck in Downloading... Do not turn off target.
In order press
Volume down + Home button + Power for long time till android disappears.

I have a feeling that it might be more than the battery. I noticed that with the phone off the device did not recognize that I was even charging till I replugged it several times. Then the Green filled to the level of the battery's current %. Yet this might indicate even more so that it is a battery issue.
Regarding batteries I do experience a wide variation between the 3 Samsung batteries I have to use. One will boot loop. The other has more random restarts. So I am using one now that works little better.
After programing MacroDroid to force off my screen after 30 seconds I have experienced a nice event free day or so. I also have wakelock set to 4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones