• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help help.my phone keeps turning on and off by itself

hello... I have a Samsung transform ultra.. I have a new battery in the phone... the phone keeps turning on and off by itself.. I cant seem to do anything at all as soon as it boots up it shuts right off... I tried to do a hard reset and the phone says it E:cant find misc and also E:logfile does not exist... I don't know what I did wrong and now I am so mad without my phone.. does anybody know what to do to restore it ... or make it stay on.. without turning off right away.. I would greatly appreciate thee help.. thanks...

hello... I have a Samsung transform ultra.. I have a new battery in the phone... the phone keeps turning on and off by itself.. I cant seem to do anything at all as soon as it boots up it shuts right off... I tried to do a hard reset and the phone says it E:cant find misc and also E:logfile does not exist... I don't know what I did wrong and now I am so mad without my phone.. does anybody know what to do to restore it ... or make it stay on.. without turning off right away.. I would greatly appreciate thee help.. thanks...

sorry to hear that you are having issues with your phone. that error does not sound good. it could possibly be that your misc partition is corrupted. if this is the case then you have a hardware issue. hopefully, you have insurance or some kind of protection plan.

is the phone rooted?

Upvote 0
sorry to hear that you are having issues with your phone. that error does not sound good. it could possibly be that your misc partition is corrupted. if this is the case then you have a hardware issue. hopefully, you have insurance or some kind of protection plan.

is the phone rooted?

the insurance expired and have no protection plan:(....im not sure about any thing u are saying... misc partition ?... rooted?... is there anyway to fix it.. or am I just going to throw the phone away... im so confused... :thinking:

Upvote 0
the insurance expired and have no protection plan:(....im not sure about any thing u are saying... misc partition ?... rooted?... is there anyway to fix it.. or am I just going to throw the phone away... im so confused... :thinking:

basically in android your phone is divided into many parts.

they are:
  • /boot
  • /system
  • /cache
  • /data
  • /recovery
  • /misc

the misc partition is where some of the miscellaneous settings are stored. it has been known to get corrupted on occasions on some devices.

here is a great explanation of the partitions:
This partition contains miscellaneous system settings in form of on/off switches. These settings may include CID (Carrier or Region ID), USB configuration and certain hardware settings etc. This is an important partition and if it is corrupt or missing, several of the device’s features will will not function normally.
found here:
Android Partitions Explained: boot, system, recovery, data, cache & misc

rooting is kind of like jailbreaking for an iphone except you gain full "administrator rights" like on your pc. a rooted phone has access to the system partitions and you can pretty much change anything you like including removal af all bloatware( any junk that was added by the carrier). there are a whole bunch of reasons you should root the phone.

however, rooting your phone in this state will not help you now. if it is a corrupted misc partition then you are pretty much SOL......sorry:(

maybe your eligible for an upgrade?:D

Reactions: Maggiebabe
Upvote 0
basically in android your phone is divided into many parts.

they are:
  • /boot
  • /system
  • /cache
  • /data
  • /recovery
  • /misc
the misc partition is where some of the miscellaneous settings are stored. it has been known to get corrupted on occasions on some devices.

here is a great explanation of the partitions:

found here:
Android Partitions Explained: boot, system, recovery, data, cache & misc

rooting is kind of like jailbreaking for an iphone except you gain full "administrator rights" like on your pc. a rooted phone has access to the system partitions and you can pretty much change anything you like including removal af all bloatware( any junk that was added by the carrier). there are a whole bunch of reasons you should root the phone.

however, rooting your phone in this state will not help you now. if it is a corrupted misc partition then you are pretty much SOL......sorry:(

maybe your eligible for an upgrade?:D
oh wow.. so there is no way to fix it... :(...and not sure how to do it either.... guess ill be saving my pennies for a new one... so pissed about this damn phone... :mad:

Upvote 0
oh wow.. so there is no way to fix it... :(...and not sure how to do it either.... guess ill be saving my pennies for a new one... so pissed about this damn phone... :mad:
so is there anything I can do to at least try to get it working... even if it messes up the phone.. which is already messed up.. I would just feel a little better if I tried something .....what can I download on sd card or wherever... help....lol

Upvote 0
so is there anything I can do to at least try to get it working... even if it messes up the phone.. which is already messed up.. I would just feel a little better if I tried something .....what can I download on sd card or wherever... help....lol

not sure really. let me see if there is anything out there. but really you can't do much if the phone is not rooted.

Upvote 0
Did this whole issue start after the new battery was installed?
We can try to find a firmware update to flash with Odin.

I'm on tap a talk right now so I can look later:D

well the phone started to turn on and off before the battery was replaced a few times.. then I was told to do a hard reset by boost.. so I did .. after that I noticed the battery was being drained really fast... so I went with a new battery and it still shuts on and off by itself.. doesnt even load sometimes to the start up screen with my apps... it just loads the Samsung logo... and then shuts off and restarts all over again.. and that's all it does .. I have to take the battery out in order to shut it down... thanks:(

Upvote 0
How did you do the hard reset? You mean a factory reset? Did you do that whilst booted up in the operating system or in recovery?

Edit: I just noticed this now that I am at a computer...I will move this thread into the Samsung Transform Ultra forum for ya:D

well when I called boost they told me hard reset.. I held the power button and the volume down button together.. when the Samsung name appeared I released the power button... then the little android guy was on with a folder.. I then went to where it says reset the entire phone it then asks u yes or no about deleting all your info.. I did that and then the phone just started shutting on and off ... and then I couldn't do anything at all

Upvote 0
All these Samsung Transform Ultra's have the "can't find misc" error. It doesn't cause any problems with the phone what so ever, so you can rule that out. As I said every single one of them, even with a custom recovery does that.

Does your phone still shut off by itself while it's plugged in? I know you said you replaced the battery already, but my wife's phone was doing the exact same thing and it was a bad battery.

Upvote 0
All these Samsung Transform Ultra's have the "can't find misc" error. It doesn't cause any problems with the phone what so ever, so you can rule that out. As I said every single one of them, even with a custom recovery does that.

Does your phone still shut off by itself while it's plugged in? I know you said you replaced the battery already, but my wife's phone was doing the exact same thing and it was a bad battery.

yes it shuts off and turns back on while its plugged in... and it keeps doing it over and over..

Upvote 0
yes it shuts off and turns back on while its plugged in... and it keeps doing it over and over..

That's not good. Try pressing on the back of it, or take the back off and make sure the battery isn't loose and the battery contacts look clean (Mikestony's suggestion).

You could also try a different SD-card if you have one laying. I know that sounds weird, but this phone comes with an absolute garbage SD-card and used to make my phone reboot itself.. never shut off though.

If you could keep the phone running long enough, you can use Odin to install CWM recovery, then root it, then install a custom rom. But, being as this is not a common problem you're having for this phone that probably won't fix it.

Upvote 0

It sounds to me like what happened is that the phone was shut off in the process of it reverting everything to factory settings, which corrupted the boot sector (it sucks, but it happens sometimes, and is fixable).

I can only point you in the right direction right now because I'm at work, but look for the ClockWorkMod (CWM) thread created by Mavrikmeercat, and some sort of .zip file that says it's a stock Boost ROM. Both should be available in the "Transform Ultra - All things root" section of the forums here. If you would like more detailed instructions and personalized help, send me a private message, and I'll reply as soon as I'm able.

Upvote 0

Is this device rooted? The main cause of this issue (shutting off while plugged in) is usually because of the Bluetooth drivers are messed up.

Have you uninstalled the stock music app, by any chance?

It sounds to me like what happened is that the phone was shut off in the process of it reverting everything to factory settings, which corrupted the boot sector (it sucks, but it happens sometimes, and is fixable).

I can only point you in the right direction right now because I'm at work, but look for the ClockWorkMod (CWM) thread created by Mavrikmeercat, and some sort of .zip file that says it's a stock Boost ROM. Both should be available in the "Transform Ultra - All things root" section of the forums here. If you would like more detailed instructions and personalized help, send me a private message, and I'll reply as soon as I'm able.

i do not think that she is rooted, so these suggestions will not work.

Upvote 0
I joined this site just to answer this question. Let me know if this works for you.

It's totally random, but my phone started doing this this morning. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S2. It would shut off as soon as i turned it on though sometimes it would stay on for up to 5 minutes at a time. I know it was a problem with the firmware because the switches would do weird stuff. I would turn the volume down and it would take a screenshot instead.

After 30 minutes of turning my phone on, I decided to plug the headphones in because the start-up noise would play everytime and it really freaks out my dog. Lo and behold, it worked! I don't know if it tricked it into fixing itself somehow or what, I'm not an expert. The problem is gone for good though.

tl;dr - try plugging in headphones before turning it on.

Upvote 0
I joined this site just to answer this question. Let me know if this works for you.

It's totally random, but my phone started doing this this morning. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S2. It would shut off as soon as i turned it on though sometimes it would stay on for up to 5 minutes at a time. I know it was a problem with the firmware because the switches would do weird stuff. I would turn the volume down and it would take a screenshot instead.

After 30 minutes of turning my phone on, I decided to plug the headphones in because the start-up noise would play everytime and it really freaks out my dog. Lo and behold, it worked! I don't know if it tricked it into fixing itself somehow or what, I'm not an expert. The problem is gone for good though.

That Worked like a charm!

Upvote 0

Me too - I joined this forum just to post this:
Had similar problem with samsung SM-G313HU - I factory re-set the device, updated the firmware, all no avail - plugged my head set and that was the end of the problem... However, the same did not word a a friend's android phone (Spice) whose soft buttons had stopped working - she hadn't upadted the software though...

Thanks for the post it was very helpful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones