• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help please with phone not sleeping (100% awake)

RickJ

Android Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009
A few days ago I after reading some threads on reboots and decided to check the awake time and found that phone wasnt sleeping. Battery life wasnt affected all that bad I thought, lasting throughout the day, however I did an FDR reloaded only a few programs and the problem went away (along with the reboots that occurred nearly everytime I started navigator and only navigator). Battery life was exceptional afterwards, still having at least 60% remaining after unplugging around 8 am and checking later than 7pm

I reloaded the following apps
Shazam
xing barcode scanner
LED desire
Google Earth
Spare Parts, and just now sys panel lite.

Today I experienced another reboot, checked awake time and found it to be at 100% again. After unplugging at 8am and checking at 7 pm, battery remaining is at 36%, way under normal (im usually at 60%+ with heavier usage). Very moderate use today , maybe a dozen short calls, a couple emails, no browsing, took 1 picture and sms'd it, and LED desire (first time used since re-installed) I do keep both my wifi and BT on, 4g off. Ive been in good signal range all day.

Anyone have any suggestions or can point to me to a thread that will help me to use the tools (spare parts and/or sys panel to determine what the awake culprit is ?

When I last had the problem I installed sys panel, rebooted and rechecked the stats the next morning and the only thing that matched the time was system under internal System processes.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

** correction I believe the reboot occurred yesterday and the phone hasnt slept since then. Up and awake time at 32:21:xx. Basically I believe the phone hasnt slept since it did its reboot, and I cant recall what I was doing at the time of the reboot, however it wasnt navigator this time.

this used to happen on the hero and the problem was the stock SMS client prevented the phone from sleeping. disabling autoretrieve and notifications there and downloading another client like Handcent fixed it.

i can't imagine thats still an issue though, i looked at a hero running 2.1 and awake time was fine even though the phone had been using the stock SMS client.

Upvote 0
I upgrade from the hero and my wife still has one. Checking her's now (using the stock client) and awake v up is great 695:14 up and 32:13 awake.( if can just get rid of the dialer lag this phone would be very up to par) Ive been using the stock sms client on the evo and never noticed an immediate problem causing awake.

Upvote 0
It was based on your advice from a few days ago that I downloaded spare parts. Right now the highest thing show under partial wake usage is android system, since boot 9min 59 sec

I installed spare parts and few days ago after I read your advice, but this evening was the first time I ran it

Upvote 0
oh crap its happening to me too now :( going to settings->aboutphone->battery->battery use shows up with nothing. first noticed something was strange when i woke up and while the phone was plugged in, the battery only read 81%, and stayed there. I turned it off and did a battery pull, rebooted and while plugged in it only inched up sloooowly. I turned it off and charged to full, rebooted and its still showing 100% awake. Spare parts is not being helpful...the only thing that seems to be using a lot of resources is under network usage and it shows up as "0", which I don't know what that designates.

And just as I was typing this post, it remedied itself and is sleeping. WTF. That was odd.

Upvote 0
It is almost always an App that does this. You can uninstall one by one and check that way or just do a hard reset. Also there has been talk that the Facebook Syncing is killing the battery because it is constantly syncing (which would cause a 100 percent awake issue. How often do y'all have it set to sync. Mine is at once per day and I unchecked Sync Timeline

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones