• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help! Trying to get my Samsung Galaxy Prevail II to act as a wireless hotspot!

I have followed multiple guides in setting up my Samsung Galaxy Prevail II for Boost Mobile to be a WiFi Hotspot, granted there actually are no existent guides, so I followed ones relating to the original Galaxy Prevail, and I tried others for the Galaxy Rush.

The phone is rooted with SuperSU, so that part is done. I installed WiFi Tether - TrevE Mod and this is my current configuration:

Device Profile: Generic ICS/JB (wlan1)
Setup Method: Netd-Ndc (master)
Send Netd Max Client Cmd YES
WiFi-driver reload YES
Enable Access-Control YES
MSS Clamping YES
Routing Fix YES

When I hit tether it says it is tethering with no errors, however, it will NOT broadcast an SSID. I manually put the SSID into my NVIDIA Shield and it will not connect to my phone's network. HELP! I just want to be able to have portable network access on my Shield without paying a fortune for a 4G phone with Wireless Hotspot!

Hi and welcome to the forums! :) This is for the ring, but they are essentially the same phone and it will work on the prevail 2. Just make sure you use the version specified
Enable WiFi Tethering - Android Forums

This will require root access on your device, if you don't have root yet see my other post on how to enable it.

Even after enabling root on this device all of the tether apps state "hotspot is not supported" when starting up tethering. I guess Samsung or Virgin really locked this one down. I finally got around this by following the guide on this link How to Wifi Tether ANY Rooted Android Smartphone or Tablet! [Universal Guide] | HighOnAndroid.com. It works and I have had no issues yet with it.

The guide in the link above will give you step by step instructions but I will list them here for you too.

1) On your device download and install the Wifi Tether TrevE Mod APK Download apk/wifitether/treve/wifi_tether_v3_3-pre2.apk at DownloadAndroidROM.com Install using the package installer and not the Google installer. (Again you must have installation from unknown sources enables in security)

2) Launch the app Wifi Tether TrevE Mod and make the following chnages to the settings.

3) Press on

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones