• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hey from Western NC

Bladezilla

Lurker
Jan 28, 2010
Hi guys n girls. I just got my droid a few days before leaving on aa cross country road trip and it seemed like whenever I had a droid question I would wind up here so,........here I am.

I'm not techno saavy AT ALL and have only used my previous phones as a phone. At first the droid baffled and intimidated me but as I used it I found it pretty intuitive. (men don't read instructions:^) The Droid proved to be very handy at showing us our location, finding hotels, gas, food, weather reports (and we had HORRIBLE weather), etc. as well as keeping in touch via phone, IM and email while allowing itty bitty web browsing too.

It was a bit inconvenient not being able to tether my droid to my laptop, especially in those hotels that want $14.99 for an internet connection but I found PDAnet and figured it out about the time we started home.

I'm disapointed at a few things though. For a "superphone" the droid lacks capabilities of many older phones. It's narrow range of compatible video formats is disapointing as is the inability to download Flash player. How "super" is not recognizing Flash? That cased a problem viewing a few websites.

Originally I had the Droid but traded my daughter for her Eris. I didn't like the weight of the droid and never used the slide out qwerty keypad anyway. The Eris is lighter, feels better in my hand, I'm not always hitting the volume or camera button when I'm holding it and the virtual keyboard is much easier for me to use. I loose some screen but I use the virtual keyboard on my full blown droid anyway. I also like the little trackball on the Eris.

The Eris seems to be just about everything the Droid is with a few exceptions. So far the biggest differences I've run into have been the lack of a real keyboard, which is fine, and the lack of having a flash for the camera.

Are there any experienced users out there who can tell me what other shortcomings the Eris has as opposed to the full Droid??

Hi guys n girls. I just got my droid a few days before leaving on aa cross country road trip and it seemed like whenever I had a droid question I would wind up here so,........here I am.

I'm not techno saavy AT ALL and have only used my previous phones as a phone. At first the droid baffled and intimidated me but as I used it I found it pretty intuitive. (men don't read instructions:^) The Droid proved to be very handy at showing us our location, finding hotels, gas, food, weather reports (and we had HORRIBLE weather), etc. as well as keeping in touch via phone, IM and email while allowing itty bitty web browsing too.

It was a bit inconvenient not being able to tether my droid to my laptop, especially in those hotels that want $14.99 for an internet connection but I found PDAnet and figured it out about the time we started home.

I'm disapointed at a few things though. For a "superphone" the droid lacks capabilities of many older phones. It's narrow range of compatible video formats is disapointing as is the inability to download Flash player. How "super" is not recognizing Flash? That cased a problem viewing a few websites.

Originally I had the Droid but traded my daughter for her Eris. I didn't like the weight of the droid and never used the slide out qwerty keypad anyway. The Eris is lighter, feels better in my hand, I'm not always hitting the volume or camera button when I'm holding it and the virtual keyboard is much easier for me to use. I loose some screen but I use the virtual keyboard on my full blown droid anyway. I also like the little trackball on the Eris.

The Eris seems to be just about everything the Droid is with a few exceptions. So far the biggest differences I've run into have been the lack of a real keyboard, which is fine, and the lack of having a flash for the camera.

Are there any experienced users out there who can tell me what other shortcomings the Eris has as opposed to the full Droid??
Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones