• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

hi all, i have a question please

ivan-r-don

Lurker
May 12, 2011
hi im new to the android/smartphone scene and was wondering if i could use sat nav on my htc hd desire without my contract sim card in it to use the gps as i live in uk and will be driving to germany iv'e got all maps for this but wouldnt like to drive for 12hours getting charged.any info would be great thanks again :)

You can use GPS without a SIM, but Google Maps downloads the map as you travel, so although the phone will plot your location, it wont show you any roads on the map.

You need a pre-loaded (cached) map solution, such as HTC's Locations app, for one of the many Third Party apps (that I'm sure other members will be able to tell you of shortly), but all of them do have a cost.

If you are happy with a bit of risk, you can type in the route you want to travel while connected to Wifi, and hope that it downloads the whole route and caches it, but if you take a wrong turn or need to travel an unplanned route, it wont be able to help you at all until it gets an internet connection again

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones