• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi Everybody!

Hi Guys,

I have finally succumbed to being a part-time Android user (I shall explain in a moment). I'm generally a Mac kind of guy and enjoy Apple products, even such items as the iPhone. But what pushed me onto the android Galaxy S, was that I'm beginning to grow tiresome of my iPhone 3GS and its errors.

So this where the 'part-time' bit becomes a bit more apparent. I have updated my Galaxy S to the Android 2.2 'Froyo' software and I seem to be experiencing issues with the Internet Wi-Fi. My main concern is that it simply will not connect to my home network, even if I opt to use a static IP address. I have done a factory reset (this works for a short period of time before happening again), changed my router's channels and signals, and alas the problem has not disappeared. Could anyone help in regards to this issue, I have snooped around and have found other people experiencing the same issue, but no permanent fix for myself. So any advice would be perfect!

But asides from that issue I must say the phone is quite brilliant when it is working with its full capabilities and funnily enough, I find it works quite well with the itunes on my Mac also. so no complaints!

Cheers Guys

Hello there, welcome to Android Forums, try this:

Menubutton > Settings > Wireless & Network > WiFi Settings > Menubutton > Advanced > WiFi sleep policy, see if it's set too "sleep when screen is locked", if it is select never, hope this helps!

-Dylan.

Thanks for that advice Dylan, but alas, I have tried that remedy and yet no fix.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Android Forums!

What type of network security do you have enabled on your wireless router? Have you checked to see if a firmware update was available for your router?

Hi Martimus, thanks for the welcome!

I have just figured that if I connect to the wi-fi using the allshare application, for some reason it connects, but doesn't if I just use the normal wi-fi settings.

In regards to the router, I have performed the necessary firmware updates but none were available, I'm using WPA/WPA2 - Personal.

But I do have a 'work-around' fix which is good, because it is a great phone, I hope Samsung fixes this with the new update.

Cheers Martimus

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones