• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi Im New To Androids

The main feature you get from rooting your device is make use of some applications you couldn't have done so without a root.

For e.g. some apps on Google Play allow you to overclock your Android phones - This is only possible is your device is rooted.

Another thing is, you need to root your phone before you can install custom ROMs.

So it's not really neccessary to root your device if your basic usage is just supposed to be listening to music, watching videos, playing games/using apps and tinkering around with other default features of the phone.

If you have rooted your phone successfully nothing to sweat about. You can just start using it normally till you come across an application which lets you use special features which you couldn't have without the root.

And good luck playing around with your new phone! I am sure you are loving the 1080p HD screen! :D

Upvote 0
Hi guys im new to androids :) came from iphone 4 and decided to get a galaxy s4 . I rooted my phone last night and was wonder ing what I should do with the root .. I have no idea atm what im doing

If you have no idea what you are doing, I would suggest you avoid rooting your phone. You have the potential to do more harm than good.

Is there a reason why you wanted to root your phone? Why don't you just use it unrooted?

Coming from an iPhone, an unrooted Android phone can already do way more than an iPhone. I would recommend you just use your phone unrooted for now. If there is something you really want or need to do that requires root, only then should you root your phone.

Upvote 0
If you have no idea what you are doing, I would suggest you avoid rooting your phone. You have the potential to do more harm than good.

Is there a reason why you wanted to root your phone? Why don't you just use it unrooted?

Coming from an iPhone, an unrooted Android phone can already do way more than an iPhone. I would recommend you just use your phone unrooted for now. If there is something you really want or need to do that requires root, only then should you root your phone.

Yes, I agree totally, And i would also suggest you read, read, read, make sure you understand the processes involved completely.:D

Upvote 0
Well at the moment I dont know what im doing but if its anything like a jailbroken iPhone I I'm pretty sure I can get used to it

This is nothing like a jailbreak at all, Flashing roms, themes, kernels can be detrimental to your phone if you do not follow procedures and instructions. You, and we, at AF, do not want you to have a brick on your hands. :D Please read up on it for your own sake and the sake of your phone.:)

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
hi and welcome to AF...

what we are sayin... there is NO reason to root an android phone.. unless you have a reason too. some feature that you want or to remove or change.
so it is best to leave it unrooted.. use it, beat it.. till you find that you want something that only root can give you.

but since you have already rooted.. COOL.. great job! :)

now.. i do recommend you read in the Root sub-forums. this is a new phone so there wont be much.. yet. New ROMS and Kernels will be coming fast and strong.

please NOTE.. since you are rooted.. You can not take updates from your carrier. it will not work. and if you force it, it might brick your phone.
Only accept updates via the development community: Flashing the new official updates or custom ROM with the updates in them.

also only flash files that are developed for your PHONE (GS4) and your Carrier. do not attempt to use other files for other phones or carriers.

Reactions: Slug and dustwun77
Upvote 0
An unrooted Android phone can do almost everything a jailbroken iPhone can do. A rooted Android phone is way beyond a jailbroken iPhone. You don't have to root to get a jailbroken iPhone's capabilities, everythings is default. Now that you're rooted though, what you can do is install Titanium backup. And try to be more careful of what you install. Having a rooted phone not only gives more freedom, it comes at a cost of being more vulnerable to a malware attack since the system checks are turn off for superuser rights. Ignorance can lead to bad things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones