• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How are you watching movies?

I have found DVD Catalyst 4 to work really well and great HD quality and very easy to use

I agree Jim,
I have been using DVD Catalyst 4 and it works great for me too. It takes about twice the time of the movie playtime to convert on my laptop than I can use it on my wife's Moto Xoom or my Moto Droid 1. I set mine to the Xoom HD1 setting and it works on both my devices on that setting so I only have to do it once. It WILL play on my TV with the mini HDMI cable after converting btw.

Best part, it only cost me $10 and the customer support was great, that I just used (very fast and helpful).

I have the Netflix minimum subscription that allows me to stream or get 1 DVD in the Mail at a time, that I use DVD Catalyst 4 for.

For a player, I use Act 1 Video player from the market for both my Moto Xoom & Moto Droid 1.

Don't know if you all know this but if you use the same account on multiple devices, you can used Paid programs on all those devices without having to pay more than once. The Xoom is actually my wife's but I have my account on her's also, besides her account, so when I go to MY MARKET, I choose my screen name from the dropdown and load the programs I paid for on my Droid :)

Reactions: dvdcatalyst
Upvote 0
I agree Jim,
I have been using DVD Catalyst 4 and it works great for me too. It takes about twice the time of the movie playtime to convert on my laptop than I can use it on my wife's Moto Xoom or my Moto Droid 1. I set mine to the Xoom HD1 setting and it works on both my devices on that setting so I only have to do it once. It WILL play on my TV with the mini HDMI cable after converting btw.

Best part, it only cost me $10 and the customer support was great, that I just used (very fast and helpful).

I have the Netflix minimum subscription that allows me to stream or get 1 DVD in the Mail at a time, that I use DVD Catalyst 4 for.

For a player, I use Act 1 Video player from the market for both my Moto Xoom & Moto Droid 1.

Don't know if you all know this but if you use the same account on multiple devices, you can used Paid programs on all those devices without having to pay more than once. The Xoom is actually my wife's but I have my account on her's also, besides her account, so when I go to MY MARKET, I choose my screen name from the dropdown and load the programs I paid for on my Droid :)

Thank you Dan,

2x as long as the movie is a bit much though, what kind of specifications does your laptop have?

Reactions: DanDroide
Upvote 0
i just read that netflix is now available on the droid2. i am interested in watching movies on my vacation (starts tomorrow) and hoped i could download today to watch on the plane tomorrow.
but, it's not working...any advice?
thanks

ps. i tried netflix and although it lets me pick a movie from my queue, it doesn't play:thinking::thinking:

Upvote 0
Thank you Dan,

2x as long as the movie is a bit much though, what kind of specifications does your laptop have?

Hi :)
My laptop is an Acer with:

AMD Dual-Core Processor C-50
Processor Speed 1 GHz
Cache memory 1MB L2
System memory 3GB
Type memory DDR3
Hard drive 250GB (5400RPM) SATA

Upvote 0
The processor speed is a bit low. Try the "Fast" profile, and see if that makes a difference.

I'm actually converting True Grit, via DVD Catalyst, as I am typing right now. Maybe I estimated the time wrong. I will check when done (52% done right now). I will keep your "Fast" setting in mind.

Oh btw, (for True Grit) a box popped up showing many many different tracks and a couple showed a couple minutes or less and the rest showed No Time. I followed the FAQ suggestion and popped it into my "Real" DVD player by my TV and I made the DVD player display track info, once the movie started. It ended up saying something like 18/99 on the display, so I put the DVD back in my laptop, activated DVD Catalyst and chose track 18...working like a charm and shows a movie length 1:50:14. BINGO! :)

EDIT: I just finished converting True Grit on the HD1 setting. Just for the record, the movie is 1:50 long and converting took 3:19 on my laptop.

Thanks!

Reactions: dvdcatalyst
Upvote 0
I tried vplayer and rockplayer, but both of them play a 720p x264 video pretty shittily. Not to mention, the xoom screen can't be turned off while watching a movie on the TV. So both screens are on, and it kills the xooms battery quite quickly.

Anyone have a good media player for their xooms?

I forgot to mention, both players play the files OK, but the issue is when I'm trying to stream them to my TV through the HDMI out.

Upvote 0
My new xoom is in the mail and set to arrive any day now. At some point I would like to put some movies on it but all of the movies I own are on DVD. Anyone know of any malware free programs that will rip a DVD to a format readable by my tablet? I have heard of one called DVD decrypted but don't know anyone who uses it. How do you guys get movies onto your tablets?

Upvote 0
DVD Catalyst works great for me.

I must say I have what I hope isn't a pipe dream. I have many .iso files on a NAS on my home network. I am able to view them all via ES Explorer app (don't know if I got that right). Amazing! Anyway. I can view the .jpg cover art but can't read the .iso on the Xoom. It would be AMAZING if I could stream them. Will VLC player work in some capacity? Anyone know?

It would MAKE MY DAY!

I am streaming movies from my NAS drive on my Xoom, no problem.

Upvote 0
I tried vplayer and rockplayer, but both of them play a 720p x264 video pretty shittily. Not to mention, the xoom screen can't be turned off while watching a movie on the TV. So both screens are on, and it kills the xooms battery quite quickly.

Anyone have a good media player for their xooms?

I forgot to mention, both players play the files OK, but the issue is when I'm trying to stream them to my TV through the HDMI out.

Try Daroon and Mobo player, both free from the market place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones