• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I increase the 'Phone' screen timeout?

Mojo88

Jan 24, 2022
S21 here. I have the standard "Screen Timeout" set to 5 minutes, using Settings>Display>Screen Timeout. For most things, the screen will stay on for the 5 minutes. I don't care about battery life (it sucks, haha).

However, when I am actually make a phone, I typically use speakerphone (in order to keypad in extension numbers and such) and in that mode, the screen times out and goes dark in maybe 10 seconds, and then I have to keep hitting the side button to get it back. I don't even have time to listen to the voice instructions and make any keypad entries without continually hitting the side button. It's absolutely maddening. I cannot find the adjustment for screen timeout while using speakerphone. Where the heck is it buried??

Thanks

As far as I know, there is no adjustment.

I think what is happening is that possibly you are covering the proximity sensor, which will turn the screen off.

This is to save battery when you put the device up to your head during a call, but will happen whenever the proximity sensor is covered during a call- regardless of what speaker you use.

This sensor is typically mounted near the front camera, off to one side.

Reactions: Mojo88
Upvote 0
As far as I know, there is no adjustment.

I think what is happening is that possibly you are covering the proximity sensor, which will turn the screen off.

This is to save battery when you put the device up to your head during a call, but will happen whenever the proximity sensor is covered during a call- regardless of what speaker you use.

This sensor is typically mounted near the front camera, off to one side.

Ahh, thanks. I have a protective cover on the phone, so maybe that is covering up the sensor. Do you have any idea how I could locate that sensor? Is it visible????? I will trim away the cover in that area if I can find the sensor. It's driving me crazy. But it makes perfect sense to have it that way. Many thanks.

So I did a little calling test, with cover on and cover off, holding in my hand about two feet from face.
In both calling tests (cover on and cover off) it was about 10 seconds until the screen dimmed, and then in another 20 seconds the screen went black. So the cover makes no difference. Interesting.

In some regards, this phone rocks. In some other regards, this phone sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Yeah, that is strange behavior.
I had a device that would shut the screen off with the sensor during a call, but if I exceeded the screen time out setting then the screen would not come back on.

Very frustrating.

Anyway, I use an app that may be of assistance to you in this.

Many issues in Android have workarounds instead of solutions.

This app will use the proximity sensor as a trigger to turn the screen on.

So when the screen goes off during a call, when you want it back on just wave your hand over the sensor.

I use this app on all my devices, just as a cool way to activate the screen.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.jarsilio.android.waveup/

Reactions: Mojo88
Upvote 0
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.github.muellerma.coffee/
Try this app. It keeps your screen on until you disable it.
Works fine with my device
You can scroll down to "download apk" and avoid F-droid altogether....

Thanks very much! I use long screen-on time (5 minutes) so am almost always manually shutting the screen down, so this sounds like it would work. Do you just hit the side button to shut the screen off, or do you have to turn off the app AND then hit the side button?? If it's two buttons to kill the screen, then I'm not buying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones