• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I exit apps and stop them...?

shantytownbrown

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2010
Connecticut
Without going into menu-->settings--->apps--->manage apps---> and selecting force stop for running apps that should have been stopped when i left them...?

Or am I screwing things up by hitting "force stop"

e.g. espn app, cbssports fantasy football app, Network app...

none of these have a menu choice to "exit" or stop when i am done with them...

is this just an android issue...

OR...should i not worry about it 'cause its really not causing much battery drain?

thanks -in-advance

shanty

Those apps running in the background are not actually "running". It is just sort of on standby, to be able to launch quicker. Manually exiting these programs will not do a thing for battery life. Leave em alone.

Yep, Android is not like what you are used to in Windows. When android loads something into the cache or memory, it literally just sits there until you open the app. Its not using any cpu, and force closing it will just cause it to reload itself, using more battery.

That being said, I also use the System Panel Lite app. Once in a while I will go through and make sure nothing is using too much cpu. It also comes in handy for the once in a while app that locks up, I can go in here and close it.

Reactions: shantytownbrown
Upvote 0
Using the back button immediately puts an app into inactive state.

Using the home button puts the app into background state.

Neither modes drain battery (unless the app is designed to process something or use the radio in the background). Apps in background will automatically go to inactive state if you don't go back to them within 30 minutes.

Reactions: probinson
Upvote 0
"most" apps play nice with android's task management.

Others do not.

like facebook's fiasco of an update and some other apps I have recently tried that keep the phone in an "awake" state.

OP, I'd say that most of your apps aren't causing any issues, however it isn't impossible to get a rogue app that is indeed running the cpu/services

the real question is...are you actually experiencing battery drain issues, or does it just bother you to see all of those apps running?

what are your awake vs up times compared to what you have actually had the phone "awake"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones