• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do i use USB\SD card as storage

blunts10

Lurker
Oct 4, 2016
Im looking to use an SD\USB card as storage for downloads from the play store. I cant figure out how to make this happen. Please help!!!

The box itself comes with 4GB but out of the box its already pretty much full?

I've got an M8 Box and its running Android 4.4.2

I'm not familiar with Android TV boxes, but in general with Android 4.4 it really depends on whether the manufacturer chose to include the option of moving to SD. That was introduced in Android 2.2 (when it was normal for devices to have just a few hundred MB of built-in storage), and deprecated in 4.0, but some manufacturers retained it even though it was no longer supported. Go to Settings > Apps > Downloaded, pick an app and look for a "move to SD" button. If it exists then you have the option, though it will only work if the app allows it. If there is no such button then that's it.

Updates are the manufacturer's responsibility, so if they haven't provided one then that's the end of it. Like all mobile OSes Android must be built for the particular device (you can have generic Windows installs because a PC has a lot more resources to waste than a phone/tablet/TV box).

Rooting may give you more options, but that's at your own risk, and whether it will help will depend on how much community software support there is for your particular device. So do your research before trying that, or you may be wasting your time (and may mess up your device in the process).

As to why an SD slot, the answer is media storage, which is independent of whether it can be used for apps.

Upvote 0
Also why would it have a SD slot if its not usuable?

The SD card slot can be used to store KODI backups and artwork or other media you may want to access.

It just can't be used to reliably install programs the same way internal memory can.

Is there a way to update the OS on this box ?

Possibly, but don't! Just buy a new one.
KMart has a name brand box running Android 6 for $69.

Upvote 0
Why is it against the rules? Aren't forums a place to discuss things like this?

It's not against the rules. And you're right - this forum is just the place to discuss these things.

I believe it falls under "piracy"... If not downloaded from the play store

I have no idea where you read that or got that impression from.

There are many places online where you can download .apks to install on your Android devices which are perfectly legal and legit.
It's called 'sideloading' and is discussed on this forum a lot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones