• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How I rooted my US wi-fi tab 10.1 running on ICS to Android 4.1.2

sergey

Android Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2009
NYC
I was getting bored with my galaxy tab so I figured I'd root and flash JB on this. This was ridiculously easy for me and I am no hacker genius. I was running the most up-to-date stock ICS (sorry forgot to see what the version was) on my wifi only tab 10.1 I bought in the US (not sure if that makes a difference or not) and now I am running 4.1.2.

I've noticed that everything runs smoother and google now is amazing. The camera is a bit wonky and I haven't tested a lot of the other features. Youtube seems to stutter a bit more than on stock ICS. I can't get a GPS signal. Overall it's been pretty stable. Samsung are a bunch of idiots- these guys can get JB to run on our tablets and a multibillion dollar corporation doesn't have the resources, time, whatever? Please...

As usual here comes the warning:
I am not responsible for whatever happens if you follow the below instructions. You do this at your own risk and assume all responsibility. Don't ask me to troubleshoot since I basically did what the dude who runs galaxytabhacks did and he made a really great website and videos. Hi-tik also made a great video and these guys deserve all the credit- I just followed what they did verbatim. Amazing job, both of them.

What you need:
Hardware:
1) a Windows PC
2) your galaxy tab 10.1
3) the USB cord that came with your tab

Software:
1) CM10 Jelly Bean ROM- Android 4.1.2 for Wifi
2) Gapps
You can find these two here:
CM10 Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy Tab 10.1! [Android 4.1.2] | Galaxy Tab Hacks!

3) CWM Recovery files
4) Windows drivers for the tab
Which you can download here:
How To Install CWM Recovery 5.5.0.4 on Galaxy Tab 10.1! | Galaxy Tab Hacks!

Got everything? Good.

Step 1- install the clockworkmod recovery
1) Go to settings -> applications -> development -> check USB debugging.
2) Download the CM10 ROM and the Gapps zip files to the tab (I put it in the download folders so that it is consistent with the videos)
3) turn off your tab
4) watch the video and follow it exactly.
How To Install CWM Recovery 5.5.0.4 on Galaxy Tab 10.1! | Galaxy Tab Hacks!
This will install the clockwork mod recovery
- if you don't get the yellow "ID:COM" that shows up in the video on 2:55, try unplugging the tab from the PC and plugging it back in. It took a second or two, but that seemed to work for me like he said in the video
- MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT VERSION FLASHED!!!
Wifi is the 7510!

Step 2- install CM10 Jelly Bean!
1) This youtube video will show you how to do the rest of it:
Hi-Tik How TO : Jelly Bean On GALAXY Tab 10.1 - YouTube
Start watching at 1:35
Again do everything he does.
- when I was backing up, it took awhlie- depending on how much stuff you have on there, it might take awhile. Like some people have reported taking 15min to back up, so don't worry.
- when you first boot up CM10, the CM logo is on for what seems like forever, but again it just took awhile and everything works for me.

Enjoy!

Reactions: chile62

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones