• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How long will the Snapdragon processor be the "best"?

Normally I have buyer's remorse when something I bought gets outclassed a month later. But, with cell phones, since I plan on replacing it every year or two anyway, I will applaud all the interim advances and just think about the great new phone I'll get next time. Now, I just bought a beautiful 65" plasma that I don't plan on replacing for 10 years, so if they come out with 3D TVs (or, better yet, holographic) that were compelling in the next year or two, I'd be sad.

Sorry to make you sad, but...

3D TV: 3D Televisions - Best Buy

More specifically, 60" and larger...
60" and Up|Yes : All Flat-Panel TVs - BestBuy

Upvote 0
Normally I have buyer's remorse when something I bought gets outclassed a month later. But, with cell phones, since I plan on replacing it every year or two anyway, I will applaud all the interim advances and just think about the great new phone I'll get next time. Now, I just bought a beautiful 65" plasma that I don't plan on replacing for 10 years, so if they come out with 3D TVs (or, better yet, holographic) that were compelling in the next year or two, I'd be sad.

Yeah wow... you could have waited a few months and gotten a 3D set with better features..... well maybe anyway

Upvote 0
Galaxy S will be sweet but a dead end for updates. Samsung treats phones like media players. No updates unless something is broke. Sammy makes them, ships them and moves to the next device. Their business model does not appreciate a need for long-term support for updates. That hurts the profit margin and business case for the device. Sammy don't do that ;).... If you own a Sammy and expect updates = :(

Me and my Instinct know this all too well.

Upvote 0
According this this article the Evo and Droid2 are possibly the last phones with the 1Ghz processor.

After HTC Evo 4G & Droid 2 Come 1.2GHz Dual-Core Snapdragon Androids

What doesnt sit well with me is the date stamp is for tomorrow. So not sure how accurate it is.

"It's finally out, what we've been waiting for since February has been officially confirmed and sitting in the halls of Computex. It's Qualcomm's first dual-core Snapdragons punching out 1.2GHz. The new dual-core Snapdragons are designed for high-end smartphones and feature multi-mode HSPA+, GPU with 3D acceleration engine, 1080p video, 24-bit WXGA 1,280 x 800px displays and a dedicated audio engine. Are you drooling yet?"

I would chalk this up to speculation at this point but hey, ya never know...

Upvote 0
they do make great hardware. but i don't care how fast it is. their OS may be optimized, but it is severely lacking on the user features side. i much prefer features + speed.

they need to open up their OS, which will get me back on board. but that's never gonna happen. hell will completely freeze over and this world will end before it happens.

You're right, but that's irrelevant to the conversation.....

Just wanted to throw in the hummingbird and a4 are very very similiar chipsets.

Also, I highly doubt the new iphone will be clocked at 1ghz. Id be betting in the 700hmz range. So since the evo beat the ipad with browsing speed, imagine a slower, less powerful iphone, vs 2.2 froyo and 1ghz snapdragon, and more ram to boot. Pure pwnage.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

The current iPhones have a 700mhz processor... why would they put the exact same processor in a new generation phone? Also, the new iPhones have already been found pretty much all over the place and taken apart and yes, the A4 is in there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones