• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much data do apps take up, and exactly where do they go?

Scherzo

Lurker
Mar 10, 2011
Hi,

I am using the HTC Desire Z and am very interested in finding out where my apps go when I download them, hence I recorded information about my phone using the app called 'Android System Info' before and after downloading an app. Let me put the data here.

App used:
Angry birds - seasons
2.05mb
Stored on SD card

Before installing 'Angry birds - seasons'

Internal memory:
946.97/1150.45mb

SD card:
6453.65/7572mb

After installing 'Angry birds - seasons'

Internal Memory:
944.34/1150.45mb

SD card:
6435.34/7572mb

After deleting 'Angry birds - seasons'

Internal Memory:
946.4/1150.45mb

SD card:
6453.65/7572mb

This has made me very confused as downloading the app took up space in both my internal memory and SD card even though it only said that it would be stored on my SD card. Even then, it should only take up 2.05mb in my SD card, which was not the case as it took up 18.31mb, much more than 2.05mb.

Another thing is, deleting the app did not remove the app totally from my internal memory, as seen from 946.97 decreasing to 946.4.

1) When the app says 'stored on SD', why is it stored on both phone and SD?

2) When the app says 2.05mb, why does it take up 18.31mb instead?

3) After I've deleted the app, why is it not totally removed from my phone's internal memory?

Thanks for your help.

This has made me very confused as downloading the app took up space in both my internal memory and SD card even though it only said that it would be stored on my SD card.

Apps are never fully installed on the card, only the extra data is moved to the card.

2) When the app says 2.05mb, why does it take up 18.31mb instead?

thats the compressed file size. When the app is uncompressed, it takes up more space.

3) After I've deleted the app, why is it not totally removed from my phone's internal memory?

It will be after a reboot.

Upvote 0
1. Part of the app must remain on thei nternal memory for the app to function properly.
2. Data and cache generated by the app are not included in the market download.
3. Not all the files generated by the app are removed by the uninstall process for various reasons. One may be saved progress will remain if you reinstall tyre app later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones