• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much longer will you keep your EVO 4G?

Who is upgrading to the LTE and who is staying Old School?

• Going to upgrade to the EVO LTE and not look back.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Staying with the Original EVO, still kicking butt!

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think I'm keeping mine until the next pure aosp device comes to sprint. I'm tired of sense.

I agree! The only Sense aspect I like is the Mail App. I think it is far superior looking then the Gmail App.

You can always look into rooting the phone:) Then you could run a pure AOSP rom just like the Nexus S.

Or try a different launcher, such as ADW, LauncherPro or Go from the android market. Might be a good alternative to the Sense overlay;)

Upvote 0
When my contract is up with Sprint, I am considering switching to Verizon. I would like to try the Iphone 5. I have been with Sprint for over 10 yrs and I am unhappy that they still jacked off with the 4g service, but charged you. They false advertised it for so long. That's foul. I will have to see what phones are well above the market for my taste and usage.

Upvote 0
Well that time has finally come. Now I'm starting to look at other phones for an upgrade. It's going to come down to the Epic 4G Touch or the next Nexus with 4.0. Who knows or maybe I'll wait to see what's on the horizon for 2012. I love my EVO. It's without a doubt the best phone I ever had. But even the greatest has to retire someday.

Upvote 0
Still using my EVO4G from near release, rooted with Gingerbread and Sense 2.0. I upgraded a bunch of new sales phones to the 3D. I don't really see a need for the 3d features, but the dual processor is nice. The side mount usb could be argued but the 4g went through this on a few friends phones as well. I just don't see any other phones on the market that would change my mind. I used to let the employees pick their phones, eventually I weened them off anything but the android phones as choices, no apple/blackberry(bes crap),palm, windows6.1, then slowly no touchpad models only touchscreen. The only thing I deal with on these phones anymore is the numbnuts dropping their phones and breaking them, and that is how I want it to be. Tired of troubleshooting fixes for 5 different phone models each with their own quirks and complaints from users. The evo phones we've had have been rock solid. No more complaints that the phone can't get $hit done and needs rebooting everyday. They all deal with the battery issues, that is part of owning a smart phone. You want battery power go buy a flip phone. This winter I will evaluate the latest line of phones and see if there is anything worth switching to again. It's going to have to be something significant though. I think the only manufacturer I would switch to is Motorola, just not impressed with samsung or LG's offerings. I don't care if Sprint gets iphone 5, I'm not paying the premium price for something that will be obsolete after 1 year with a battery that can't be changed.

Reactions: salpiche
Upvote 0
I have had my Evo for about 15 months (ever since it came out) and it totally changed the way I look at (smart) phones now. It's a great phone. I hardly use it as an actual phone now. I use it for the camera, text messages, calender events, e-mail, GPS - works fantastic, mp3's, internet, etc., everybody who complains about battery life, that's your own problem. There are ways to correct that. I bough two extended Seidio 3500 mah batteries and go 30-40 hours now on one charge with medium usage. Can go 2 plus days on light use. When one is running low, I just pop the other in fully charged and charge the other one on a wall charger I have. I NEVER have to use my car charger but I have one. Doing this made the phone everything it should be. I never have to go running around looking for a place to plug in my phone. A little thicker and heavier so what I now can use it the way I want to use it. It's not just a phone, it's a portable personal computer that can also make phone calls. I have thought about getting the Photon or the Samsung Galaxy S2 but my contract is not up until next April. I will look at the phones available at that time until then I have nothing to say but good things about my EVO. I pay $72 a month because of my company discount, can't really complain there. I do hate that Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon lock you in with two-year contracts. That really bothers me. For that reason I have really started looking in to Metro PCS, Boost Mobile, and Straight talk. The unlimited plans for around $45-50 is really amazing and they don't male you sign contracts or have early termination fees. Honestly what other business makes you pay them money to stop doing business with them???? I'll stop talking now. :)

Upvote 0
Until Sprint gets LTE or I leave Sprint most likely. Its still a damn powerful phone and the developer community hasnt abandoned it for the new hot shit. ROMs, updates and enhancements are still trickling out so even though HTC wants to move on there is still plenty of life left in the girl.

With Synergy Ive got a lot of the enhanced features the 3D had anyway but without the waste of space the 3d tech is.

Upvote 0
The EVO works great for talking, videos, music, and wireless tether. I mean yea its scrolls a little slower than the latest phone but who cares.

I love how the media has everyone hyped into believing they need a super fast “phone”. While all the while the phone companies are screwing us with their fking data caps and high prices. Can no one else see the price fixing going on? I call BS on the entiere industry.

I wish cities would just wake up and just make wireless just another utility and let us pay it as part of our city or state tax.

Upvote 0
I'm eligible for a new phone in april 2012, but I'm really starting to itch for something new seeing the droid bionic and the Galaxy S2 phones coming out. I'm pretty tempted to jump to Verizon since they are testing out their unlimited mobile to mobile plans in some markets, one being mine. I also get a 25% discount with Verizon so it would cost close to the same as my sprint plan. The Droid Bionic is pretty tempting, and the Verizon LTE network is way better than Wimax (which is why Sprint is switching to LTE in the near future). My EVO served me very well over the last 15 months, but I dont want to wait til April to get something new

Upvote 0
Until tomorrow. It would've been until today but Sprint store had not yet received shipment of Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch, and now I have to go to work, unless I can go at my lunch time to get it.

I thank you for everything EVO 4G. I had a wonderful experience since June 4, 2010.

:)

are you gold premier or are you having to pay $425+ for it?

Upvote 0
I'm just going to hold on to my EVO till next year. For some reason i'm not feeling the last couple phones that sprint released. I know the specs are better than my EVO but for some reason I am happy with my Evo. Also my upgrade is not due until the end of 2012, this give me plenty of time to see what the Nexus Prime looks like and what HTC has coming.

Upvote 0
Sprint has rumored about the iPhone 5, but I'm not sure if it will happen. I'm still debating if I will leave the Android for iPhone. I'm not too much of a fan of iPhone though, since imho it's "over rated." But for now, I will stick with my htc 4g evo. Now I'm not sure of all the functionalities you can perform with iPhone, but when I jailbroke my iPod, it was easy as pie, yet I couldn't do as much as I can with my Evo. If I do decide on getting the iPhone5, I will not abandon my Evo, I will still play with it, flash roms, etc. It will be my spare phone :)

Upvote 0
I'm just going to hold on to my EVO till next year. For some reason i'm not feeling the last couple phones that sprint released. I know the specs are better than my EVO but for some reason I am happy with my Evo. Also my upgrade is not due until the end of 2012, this give me plenty of time to see what the Nexus Prime looks like and what HTC has coming.

Exactly. I'm holding on to mine as well. My upgrade is not until April 2012. But judging by the changes from Sprint, its changed to Feb 2012 due to now being 20 months instead of 22? Anyway, there are a couple of phones on my list. First theres the Nexus Prime. First one with ICS. I'm hoping the next EVO will be a real game changer. The 3D was a let down in my opinion. I'm just hoping they will not mess up the next one. Then theres what possibly will be the cream of the crop.....the Galaxy S lll. If the specs of this phone is legit.....this will be my upgrade.

Upvote 0
First off waiting for ICS, wont move until phones are native with that because its going to change the interface greatly and I want to see how that shakes out.

Second I am waiting for Sprint to figure out what the hell they are going to do with their network. Id love to hold out for the LTE switch but that might be another year so hopefully they go to EVDO revB soon because all new phones have radios that support it with a software upgrade.

Upvote 0
Sprint has rumored about the iPhone 5, but I'm not sure if it will happen.

As fa ras I've read around, Apple will probably debut it Oct. 4th. From there it will go on sale soon after. The talk has been that Apple has blacked out the first two weeks of October for retail employees. There was also word of a leaked Sprint memo that also blacks out vacation time from 9/30 to 10/15 due to the possibility of a major phone launch.

When I talked with a couple Sprint employees the other day, while non committal, anytime I steered the conversation towards iPhone. All my questions were "not" answered with nod and a wink.;)

I do like my Evo. It has served me well. But for the purpose of integration, I will more than likely be switching over to Sprint's iPhone offering once it becomes available since we recently left Windows based PC's for Apple's OSX.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones