• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to back up apps. to sd card?

I used to have a blackberry bold 9650, after dealing with it I decided I wanted something better, so I ended up with an lg apex. I admit I really like it, I'm just getting used to it.

I've noticed there's no notification light anywhere that blinks to tell me when I have new texts, emails, mms messages or anything.. so that kinda sucks. I've also noticed it only has 102mb device memory.. my bold had 300 something, so I never had to worry about running out of text message space.. I think they saved to the sd card automatically..

I do like the touchscreen, slide out keyboard.. and the fact that it's android!
So I of course have questions, and seek support!

I managed to figure out how to get it rooted, with busybox and all that.
No idea what recovery mode is though, how to back it up, how to get my contacts and apps onto the sd card. My phone has android 2.1.. and I really want my apps. and text messages to automatically save to the sd card.

Could someone please help me with this? I'm not all that smart about this phone just yet so detailed instructions would be wonderful. My provider is us cellular, and I would like to upgrade it to 2.2 but I don't think us cellular has an official version? My issue is I'd like to upgrade my phone.. but I don't know if it'd work with Your Navigator Deluxe..

I remember on my blackberry I once upgraded the os to an os from sprint and my navigator app wouldn't work just because I used someone elses os. Something to do with service books I think.

So if I can upgrade to 2.2 that'd be great if Your Navigator Deluxe still worked.. if I can't then how do I make it so my apps. and contacts and text messages save to the sd card? Thank you very much!

Hello. ;)

I'm thinking that you're best off just going back to stock, and then upgrading to 2.2 once available.

As far as recovery mode, that has not yet been achieved for your device; we're seeing frustration about that posted in various forums around the net.

There's even a site dedicated to those who want to work on porting recovery mode to newer devices:

My Brain Hurts: Porting Clockwork Recovery to New Devices

Upvote 0
Could someone please help me with this? I'm not all that smart about this phone just yet so detailed instructions would be wonderful. My provider is us cellular, and I would like to upgrade it to 2.2 but I don't think us cellular has an official version? My issue is I'd like to upgrade my phone.. but I don't know if it'd work with Your Navigator Deluxe..
So if I can upgrade to 2.2 that'd be great if Your Navigator Deluxe still worked.. if I can't then how do I make it so my apps. and contacts and text messages save to the sd card? Thank you very much!

Well not sure about much of what you're asking as i'm not rooted. But what i can say is that Your Navigator Deluxe is a US cellular app(obviously) and Google Navigation is free and most likely far superior. IMO it is as good or better than the expensive navigation apps. Don't let that be the reason you don't wanna start flashing 2.2 roms

Upvote 0
The challenge with moving apps to the SD card is that the capability requires Android 2.2. Even the third party app, APP2SD, requires Android 2.2 to run. Since you are still running Android 2.1 the only way to get this level of functionality will be to load a custom ROM on the phone. That said, the LG Apex, is new enough that I don't believe there are many custom ROM choices currently available. As Frisco said, it might be prudent to just remain stock and wait till either LG provides an update or a third party developer comes up with a decent ROM for the LG Apex.

I know that's not necessarily what you want to hear right now... but it's one of the unfortunate challenges of being a trailblazer. You're walking a path that few have walked before you...

Upvote 0
Okay I see, anyone know around how long it'll take for an update, or for someone to develop something? I got this phone from us cellular, they only have 5 android phones available, and the two best to me were the acclaim and the apex, I went with the apex since it has a slide out keyboard. But now I'm wishing I had more internal memory ):

So if I used a custom rom or whatever would your navigator deluxe still be on my phone, or would it get erased? It's a turn by turn navigation app. that was preinstalled on my phone, all us cellular smartphones have them I believe, or most of them do. What I'm asking is will using rom's render that app. useless somehow?

I remember when I had a blackberry and I used unofficial os's and I'd try to get your navigator deluxe to work and it wouldn't.. something to do with things called service books. The issue with the blackberry was I'd click on your navigator deluxe then the terms of service would come up and I was unable to click accept.. because of some sort of glitch with that os, all of the unofficial os's were unable to work with the navigator deluxe app.

So I switched from the blackberry due to not many apps, lack of support, hated the phone.

I admit I miss the notification light, and the very customizable sound profiles & the rugged design, I also never had issues with internal memory. But the things I don't miss are the random freezing and error messages, having to restart the phone everyday to avoid issues, the notification light sometimes being glitchy and continuing to blink even though I already looked at what it was telling me to look at. I also wanted to thank you all for your help so far!

So I'd like to try a custom rom, where do I find them at, are there even any? Will my phone still fully work afterwards? Is there a way to back up my entire phone that way it'll work in case I mess it up?

I remember with my blackberry I could just connect it to the computer and back up all the settings, service books, sms & mms, 3rd party apps, everything, etc. and if I messed something up I could just delete the os, reconnect it to my computer then go back to another os, then put the settings and stuff back in, it's called blackberry desktop software.

I'm assuming there's no way to back up my phone since some of you told me I need to wait, and there's no recovery option ):

Upvote 0
So far as I know, only temporary root is available with z4root.

Where to get: [Q] Root for LG APEX - xda-developers

How to: Z4Root Is One Click Root App For Samsung Galaxy S / Android Phones

Without recovery, you can't do a full nandroid - the analog to your BB desktop backup.

However - with root, you can install and use Titanium Backup - my experience on my phone is that I manage to backup nearly everything, including my desktop layout. Don't know if that will apply to your phone or not.

One thing I never learned how to backup are my SMS's - but you'll find many capable, free apps for that in the Market.

I'm sorry - I have no info regarding custom roms for your phone, perhaps a check around this thread and chatting with others will yield more info - that's honestly the best I can suggest at present.

Upvote 0
I googled for apps2SD for LG Ally (the other name for Apex), and there are references to the fact that it can be done and has been done all over the place. Took a little while, but I think I found it. (Funny enough, it came from one of our own moderators, Trident.)

http://androidforums.com/trident/19...-fast-vzb-android-2-1-stable.html#post1697751

Now I am not sure if a rom designed for the LG Ally would work on a Apex or not. The two are variants of the same phone, but that does not necessarily mean that the rom will work on both phones. E.g. Galaxy S I9000 roms do not work on the Galaxy S I9000M. So do this at your own risk (or just ask Trident. He might have an answer).

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones