• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to backup phone?

spman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2013
How to do full backup of phone? (to restore phone if lost/stuck/faulty)

Does copy and paste all phone folders work as a backup? Before update can I copy and paste all phone files to PC, if something bad happens during a update then copy and past all phone files from PC to phone?

Is there android backup software that work, maybe also auto schedule backup? No root.

What do you do before doing an update? Any backup or tips to ensure successful update?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have Samsung Galaxy Note 8.
What if the update fails and corrupt the phone (e.g. black screen, stuck, unable to access something...)? Is there a way to rollback/uninstall the update?
For example in PC there is a way to full backup and roll back to previous version if the Windows update fails or weird stuff happens after the update, I am thinking of similar backup in Android.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Use Samsung's Smart Switch utility. It's Samsung's multi-function service that includes a handy backup and restore feature:
https://www.samsung.com/us/apps/smart-switch/

And no, just copy-and-pasting as a backup solution will not suffice. There are a lot of things that are in hidden, protected directories that will be skipped using just drag-and-drop copying. And that's even less effective since your PC running Windows is so limited as far as native support for other platforms (i.e. your PC is running Windows and relies upon NTFS as its file system, your Android Note is running Android and that runs on top of ext4).

Upvote 0
I have Samsung Galaxy Note 8.
What if the update fails and corrupt the phone (e.g. black screen, stuck, unable to access something...)? Is there a way to rollback/uninstall the update?
For example in PC there is a way to full backup and roll back to previous version if the Windows update fails or weird stuff happens after the update, I am thinking of similar backup in Android.
as suggested by @svim , use Samsung's SmartSwitch to backup your phone. you can even save the backup to your computer.

Reactions: Dannydet and spman
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones