• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HOW TO: Change bootup/shutdown animations and sounds

Hmm... I just tried changing the boot animation to the BIOS startup one linked above. I followed the directions exactly and have tried it with three different kernels (at least one of which I'm certain allows boot animations) and just get a black screen. Any thoughts?

Kernels:

Geeknik's 12/19
JT's 12/30
imnuts -25 nonvoodoo

Upvote 0
Hmm... I just tried changing the boot animation to the BIOS startup one linked above. I followed the directions exactly and have tried it with three different kernels (at least one of which I'm certain allows boot animations) and just get a black screen. Any thoughts?

Kernels:

Geeknik's 12/19
JT's 12/30
imnuts -25 nonvoodoo

have you tried moving it data/local and system/media...for some it works in data/local...for other people system/media....remember to rename the file you want to move as well to bootanimation.zip...most arent named that by default

Upvote 0
have you tried moving it data/local and system/media...for some it works in data/local...for other people system/media....remember to rename the file you want to move as well to bootanimation.zip...most arent named that by default

New file is renamed bootanimation.zip and is now in both data/local and system/media and still black screen.

I was actually not getting any boot animation at all, even before attempting any of this. All I see is the Samsung logo when it turns on.

Upvote 0
New file is renamed bootanimation.zip and is now in both data/local and system/media and still black screen.

I was actually not getting any boot animation at all, even before attempting any of this. All I see is the Samsung logo when it turns on.

Fwiw I never tried any animations on geeknik's but recently went voodoo and I am running this ani right now and it works fine.

Upvote 0
OK, I figured out the problem. The bios boot animation needs to be flashed via CWM. If you open up the .zip that appears on the hosting page here, you'll see the "bootanimation.zip" file that is actually supposed to go in data/local. Once flashed, the file worked fine.

My question: are the other four files in the zip file important to have? That would be:

Manifest.mf
Cert.sf
Cert.rsa
update-script

I don't want to put additional cruft on the phone if it's not necessary. I would like to just extract the bootanimation.zip and put that on my phone without the other stuff.

Upvote 0
OK, I figured out the problem. The bios boot animation needs to be flashed via CWM. If you open up the .zip that appears on the hosting page here, you'll see the "bootanimation.zip" file that is actually supposed to go in data/local. Once flashed, the file worked fine.

My question: are the other four files in the zip file important to have? That would be:

Manifest.mf
Cert.sf
Cert.rsa
update-script

I don't want to put additional cruft on the phone if it's not necessary. I would like to just extract the bootanimation.zip and put that on my phone without the other stuff.

I am almost certain those other files are required for flashing via CWM. But in the end I just took the bootanimation.zip and pushed it through ADB to data/local and it works fine.

Reactions: schenker
Upvote 0
Downloaded jts non-vood 11/2, and all is good my friend!! Thank you guys for the help!

I'm running DJ05 superclean / stupidfast 1.54 kernel and can't get boot ani to work. I'm assuming its because of the kernel and haven't tried another kernel yet.

The instructions were straight forward and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get them to work. I tried combos of each folder plus both and none worked.

Shutdown ani worked fine.

Upvote 0
I'm running DJ05 superclean / stupidfast 1.54 kernel and can't get boot ani to work. I'm assuming its because of the kernel and haven't tried another kernel yet.

The instructions were straight forward and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get them to work. I tried combos of each folder plus both and none worked.

Shutdown ani worked fine.

Yea I'm pretty sure that 1.54 does not support custom boot ani you need to go to a later kernel

Upvote 0
Thank you to everyone for taking up the slack in this thread while I have been notoriously absent lately :eek: I plan to finally jump to the voodoo5 kernels tonight, and hopefully stick my head in here more often :)
Well, well, well look what the ole cat dragged. Notoriously absent? Hmm is that like the ocean is wet ;):p Yeah get yourself voodoo Maz and then hope on da froyoz dood :D

Upvote 0
Well, well, well look what the ole cat dragged. Notoriously absent? Hmm is that like the ocean is wet ;):p Yeah get yourself voodoo Maz and then hope on da froyoz dood :D

Don't faint because I'm responding on the same night saps ;) Just loaded OTB voodoo kernel. Man, why I didn't do it sooner I have no idea. So much better performance-wise than the previous kernel I ran. Now just to test battery life, and then teh froyoz in the near future :D

Upvote 0
Don't faint because I'm responding on the same night saps ;) Just loaded OTB voodoo kernel. Man, why I didn't do it sooner I have no idea. So much better performance-wise than the previous kernel I ran. Now just to test battery life, and then teh froyoz in the near future :D

Maz its good to see you around. :) you definitely gotta drop by more often

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones