• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to dramatically improve your camera (picture and video) quality

@ balders...i couldnot notice the difference either....

Can someone post a pic of the hole that is left after popping out the plastic camera covering? Would be interesting to see if it changes the outlook of the back cover?

Doesn't look any different. Doesn't change the look of the cover, but don't have a pic. You're just removing something which is transparent, almost ....;)

Upvote 0
Okay, I had to research how to upload one.
Here it is.
geoffj-albums-geoffs-album-picture3197-holeyphone.jpg

Upvote 0
LOL, people, how about keeping the case clean, as on mine the difference is not that big, which implies how dirty your phones are :)

I guess it just depends on whether you pamper your phone or use it it out in the field in real life situations. We need only to look at what happened in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to see what eventuates if we let our phones get too dirty. In the last three days my phone went to the top of Australia at Mt Kosciuszko, then through the Jugungal Wilderness, onto a cattle farm, and then survived a night at the Corryong Pub. Keeping my phone sanitised wasn't on top of my agenda. :D

Upvote 0
Well its only been a month since i decided to just leave the back cover camera lens alone...This morning i noticed that the scratches have gotten quite worse and are noticeable now.. Still dont want to pop off the cover, since ill be selling my desire in a month or so..Those who tried toothpaste/Brasso, can some one confirm or post some before/after shots of the plastic cover itslef before and after using toothpaste or brasso..

I hope toothpaste/brasso does not mess it up further?

Upvote 0
Mine's still going okay.
Look, there's not much to gain about being too precious about a phone-camera with a tiny little lens and aperture which you will probably only keep for 2 years anyway.
We're not talking about a high end D-SLR here. If you're that serious about photography, you wouldn't use a phone cam.
Just pop the cover and enjoy the results :D:cool:

Reactions: slowmo
Upvote 0
Surely a better idea would be to remove the plastic lens & replace it with a piece of glass

I'm hoping to make some glass replacements for the naff plastic ones soon. I'll be selling them on Ebay for a couple of quid with a bit of double-sided tape. I'll post here again when they are ready, in case anyone is interested.

All you will have to do is punch out the old plastic on and fit the new glass one with the tape. Simples!

Upvote 0
I'm hoping to make some glass replacements for the naff plastic ones soon. I'll be selling them on Ebay for a couple of quid with a bit of double-sided tape. I'll post here again when they are ready, in case anyone is interested.

All you will have to do is punch out the old plastic on and fit the new glass one with the tape. Simples!
I'll be interested!

Upvote 0
uhm... in my video.. i put the cellophane on the camera... if you want to change it, you have only to open the phone and remove it. no glue, anything. Photos excellent.

Yes, but what's the point of putting the cellophane on there?
The thing you are sticking it on is there to protect the lens. It's inside the cover so it's not going to get scratched. All it will do is (possibly) attract dust more than the glass would, and make the lens very slightly optically worse.

Popping the back cover out has been proven by many to work. I replaced mine with the sapphire glass cover from Edmundoptics, but after reading all the posts of people who have just left them open, it was perhaps overkill.

Basically, the cellophane is unneccesary, that's all.

Edit: Re-reading your post, although your english is about 1000% better than my Italian, you may have misunderstood me. Sorry.

When I said 'Sticking', I just meant 'putting / applying'. I wasn't suggesting that you had used glue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones