• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to dramatically improve your camera (picture and video) quality

I belive bood solution for stopping the dust from getting into the phone when removing the plastic protectine screen from the back cover would be to stick (with double sided tape) a foam ring inside back cover. It would fit the gap between cover and squre glass piece that protects lens. Does anyone know, how much of the gap is there. I'd recon 1 mm ticker foam ring would do the trick.

Upvote 0
On my wife's HTC, I removed the HTC plastic cover, and bought a Nokia N97 sliding lens cover and glued it with careful positioning to the back of the camera. Its flash window lines up quite well, with care. On my own Desire, as I have a fixed leather case, I designed my own retractable lens protecter (and again removed the HTC plastic lens cover).

I am sure somewhere on this forum, it refers to replacement hardened optical glass lens covers available for the Desire for about

Upvote 0
I've just tried the cover on/off comparison with my almost new Desire (from Ebay, but it looks like the previous owner hardly used it). It's a subtle difference, but a difference all the same (caused by the fact that even brand new perspex will do something to the refraction). Colours are bolder without the cover, and there's an overall increase in sharpness. With the cover on, it's as if there's a thin mist overlaid on the photo.

It's a large file, but the differences are visible here (cover on-off, from left to right)...

http://www.sfocata.co.uk/misc2/desire_camera.jpg

(And that's after a 33% size reduction and 90% jpeg compression... the differences between the 1.1MB originals, viewed in Lightroom, are even more noticeable)

Any more news from the person looking into a bulk deal on glass replacements? Or are these watchglass suppliers our only hope?

Upvote 0
I've just tried the cover on/off comparison with my almost new Desire (from Ebay, but it looks like the previous owner hardly used it). It's a subtle difference, but a difference all the same (caused by the fact that even brand new perspex will do something to the refraction). Colours are bolder without the cover, and there's an overall increase in sharpness. With the cover on, it's as if there's a thin mist overlaid on the photo.

It's a large file, but the differences are visible here (cover on-off, from left to right)...

http://www.sfocata.co.uk/misc2/desire_camera.jpg

(And that's after a 33% size reduction and 90% jpeg compression... the differences between the 1.1MB originals, viewed in Lightroom, are even more noticeable)

Any more news from the person looking into a bulk deal on glass replacements? Or are these watchglass suppliers our only hope?

Yes the most obvious thing in your picture is that blacks look blacker with the cover off, they have a grey cloudyness with the cover on. But the same affect is noticable on all colours if you look. Must be the light transmission through the perspex that affects the picture quality, and clearly it happens even with an unscratched cover.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones