• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to fix Froyo or Gingerbread (or any rom update)

Edit: After some searching I read that the problem could be the new update to the Facebook App. I am going to uninstall it and see what happens. The new version runs as a service instead of in the background so something might stop the phone from going to sleep.

It was definitely Facebook stopping the app from going to sleep. I uninstalled (downgraded) it to the old version and everything went back to normal as far as Up Time and Awake Time are concerned.

I checked out the comments on the Facebook app in the market and other people posted about the same problem.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I just did all of these steps and it took around 30 minutes. I was playing on the internet and transferring lots of files, so I can't say it is an accurate time frame for completing this.

That said, wow, what a difference. I was contemplating doing something like this a few weeks ago, I just never got around to it. I have about 90 apps/widgets downloaded from the market (mostly) and it is as though they just needed to be realigned properly, especially with Froyo.

My battery has been fixed on 61% for over 1.5 hours (with very light usage), which it would never do before and everything is running much smoother than 2.1 or the first few days of 2.2 (I did the OTA update).

Everyone really needs to give this a try.

Upvote 0
I followed all of this last night and am very happy with the results. The only problem was my own mistake - I guess I CUT instead of copying my EVO to back up on to my computer :eek:! So.....even the ASTRO backup was gone. PITA!! Ultimately I think it was a good thing cuz I have a super fresh EVO :) and only reinstalled Apps I am using. I did not install a Task Killer.

I have been pounding the phone with heavy use for the past 3 1/2 hours (calls, texts, internet, etc) and am down to 71% battery. I'll take 12-14 hours of heavy use any time!

Upvote 0
Hello...

Was having a Flash issue and EarlyMon suggested I follow this post for a "Froyo Fix" so here I am!!

I'm in the process of reinstalled as I type and came across an ODD situation. Don't know if any of you have noticed but I was reading the following post:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/137621-what-changes-do-you-see-froyo-2-2-a.html

and noticed a comment that the start up screen and start up tone were DIFFERENT after the Froyo update:

- boot up screen is different, after HTC EVO screen, just says 4G no animated boot up or music-- Firemanjay

I noticed this on 8/3 when I did the upgrade to Froyo. However, I have a WEIRD circumstance since my "factory reset"...I restarted the phone, 2.2 was still on the phone as expected, HOWEVER, the Sprint animation and "old startup tones" from 2.1 is BACK!!

Do you have ANY CLUE what this would have happened? Just WEIRD!! I kinda like the NEW startup that I had and lost but don't know why it is gone now...??

Thanks for your time!!

Scott

Upvote 0
I've noticed that as well - and also - your first boot after factory reset took a little longer, if you noticed.

Now that everything is clean, you'll notice (if you're running stock or the stock odexed rooted rom) that your subsequent bootups are now MUCH faster than with 2.1.

I suspect that HTC streamlined the entire process and that the factory reset - as proctored by Sprint - might just "fix" some of that streamlining at startup.

I write it off as one of those things. :)

I'll check into this - maybe there's a little something we can do so it drops the Sprint babbling.

Upvote 0
I just did all of these steps and it took around 30 minutes. I was playing on the internet and transferring lots of files, so I can't say it is an accurate time frame for completing this.

That said, wow, what a difference. I was contemplating doing something like this a few weeks ago, I just never got around to it. I have about 90 apps/widgets downloaded from the market (mostly) and it is as though they just needed to be realigned properly, especially with Froyo.

My battery has been fixed on 61% for over 1.5 hours (with very light usage), which it would never do before and everything is running much smoother than 2.1 or the first few days of 2.2 (I did the OTA update).

Everyone really needs to give this a try.

Also - if like anything else, you get into the habit of always keeping backups and have confidence in them, you can leap into this procedure at a whim and save a wee bit of time on the front end.

Upvote 0
I've noticed that as well -

I write it off as one of those things. :)

I'll check into this - maybe there's a little something we can do so it drops the Sprint babbling.

THANKS!! I DEFINITELY noticed the change in tone from 2.1 to 2.2 and LIKED it. And I DEFINITELY noticed that the old startup graphic and tone is back. I read in another thread there are apps to change the startup sound...I think to mute it or something. If I refind the thread or app info, I will post.

ONE side issue and ONE question for all that I noticed...just giving a little narrative of my experience with the factory reset:

1. With the "Network" app that was suggested to change the PRL, I downloaded the app and read a little note from the developer that he has heard of the inability to connect after using the app and flipping around the PRL. I had previously done this on my 2.1 EVO using that *#*#* number number number **#*# whatevertheheck the code was so I was FAMILIAR with the GSM/CMDA PRL settings so wasn't too concerned, however, I was NOT ABLE TO CONNECT TO 3G as I was warned!! My AppBrain connection and downloads after the PRL adjustment just HUNG without downloading so I shut the phone off, put it back on and 3G was up and running fine.

And my QUESTION...I was HOPEFUL but NOT SURPRISED that the prefs for pretty much ALL my apps that I installed had to be reset. Most apps are EASY with a quick launch and setup but SOME were annoying with ALOT of prefs (ChompSMS, Jorte, K9). I KNOW that account information like email in K9, wifi connections, google sync is gone and needs to be reassociated with a login.

Is there any backup app that will save your APP PREFS so you can reinstall the prefs and be right back where you started?? If your app was screwed and and prefs were screwed up, you'd want a CLEAN install of the and prefs. But would also like the ability to kinda load a prefs file back to restore back where I was running WITHOUT having to go through all my prefs manually all over again.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I followed all the instrutions but still lost my contacts and home screen layouts...

Try Menu -> Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> Sync all and see if that doesn't get your contacts back.

Can you send a test mail from GMail?

If you've tried that and GMail works but still no contacts, try to log in to Talk and just see if that works. If so try to sync all once more, and if that fails, power-cycle your phone.

Upvote 0
Is there any backup app that will save your APP PREFS so you can reinstall the prefs and be right back where you started?? If your app was screwed and and prefs were screwed up, you'd want a CLEAN install of the and prefs. But would also like the ability to kinda load a prefs file back to restore back where I was running WITHOUT having to go through all my prefs manually all over again.

When the XDA devs crack how to root 2.2, you might consider it. That gives you access to Titantium Backup and that does back up everything. I also use ASTRO as a backup to my backups.

Did you try MyBackup Pro?

For the benefit of others reading, just added Sprite Backup + Astro to the list.

Upvote 0
Try Menu -> Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> Sync all and see if that doesn't get your contacts back.

Can you send a test mail from GMail?

If you've tried that and GMail works but still no contacts, try to log in to Talk and just see if that works. If so try to sync all once more, and if that fails, power-cycle your phone.

Tried all that except power-cycle, what is that?

Upvote 0
I thought this discussion deserved its own place in this thread:

Hi EarlyMon...

Thanks for the post and suggestion. I MUST ask however: is your post at the above link **THE ONLY** option for the youtube issue? The reason I'm asking is because I JUUUUUST got my phone back from a 20-day repair!! I had to reinstall EVERYTHING already this week and have spent HOURS resetting all my settings and preferences.

I am running SMOOOOTH it appears...BUT FOR the youtube issue....so I really am DREADING a hard reset/wipe clean at the moment.

So, is this the ONLY way??? :-//

THANK YOU....
I can understand your trepidation at this.

I do not know if this is your only option.

What we've learned as a group is that once you find one problem, you chase it and fix it and then lather, rinse, repeat - because it seems that they all have the same root cause. In some theory, if what ever's screwed up is really limited to just one thing, you could just wipe the data for that thing. In our experience, that's more like playing whack a mole - so we've turned to this. Besides, if the problem is within the guts of the OS itself, then this will be your only option. Without x-ray vision or a better option, this seems to be it.

Unlike other handsets, this doesn't put your handset at risk or require an MSL# - except one that did require reprovisioning and Sprint help - but that was the only incident reported like that so far. So, there's a statistical possibility that it could get complicated, but probability is on your side by a wide margin.

In any case - in my strongest opinion - you want a good backup strategy. Personally - I think everyone does. You've already been through a lot with yours from your description - and it's a phone. Things happen to phones, like lost, stolen, broken, dropped in the sink, you name it.

If you ever become rooted you want Titanium Backup. I backup everything I need with it to the SD card, then keep a backup of that on a PC.

Non-root users are choosing MyBackup Pro or a combination of Sprite+ASTRO File Manager, either for 5 bucks.

If the 5 bucks ain't happening, you can still backup your apps with ASTRO File Manager for free and your People contacts with Google - also free as that's how that's supposed to work anyway. You'll lose settings and sms messages and your desktop layout - but it's free and for many people, those are survivable over the 5 bucks difference.

The beauty of the suggested thread is that it deals with backup/restore and some use strategies as a discipline - anyone can push the factory reset button, but keeping your user-experience state of health is the primary goal.

With whatever you've been through, if I were in your shoes, I'd personally be sweating my backups first, YouTube second.

Once the backups are in hand, see if you have any other symptoms - poor battery life, other little glitches in various places. If so, a factory reset+radio fix is for you, otherwise, you might hold out and see if you can solve just YouTube.

But at the first sign of other troubles, I'd check that thread out. By virtue of public and private exchanges, I edit the top post often in an attempt to stay abreast of what it helps and what it doesn't.

As well as this one:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/142978-after-froyo-update-evo-doesnt-sleep.html#post1318731

Upvote 0
Tried all that except power-cycle, what is that?

Sorry, that wasn't clear of me.

Turn your phone off, wait a minute, turn it back on.

For whatever reason, others have reported this sometimes seems to help.

And do not lose faith. If you read back to the near the ending posts of the previous page, you'll find one case where the syncing step was kinda skipped and then later, by whatever it is that google really does, contacts reappeared. In his case, he did the factory reset twice but others have gotten by just by giving it some time.

I've been personally told of several cases of this in the past few days, so keep the faith.

Did you try MyBackup Pro or just the free way?

If just the free way, I have to give a stronger warning about the screen layouts and some settings being lost, maybe, in the first post. Kindly let me know.

And don't go anywhere. Lots of people here will also help advise - you're not hung out to dry.

Upvote 0
You sir, have an extraordinary amount of patience.

I used the regular free MyBackup, but I followed the steps to save the 'Scene' but I understand now why it probably didnt save after the reset.

Power cycling now, I hope it helps. For what its worth, I dont ever use GMail and have always had the sync off until before the reset when I synced everything. Would that have mattered? Or is there any way to access it from the computer through my gmail account?

Power cycling did not work. When I did that though there was an exclamation next to the contacts under the sync section, saying there was syncing errors and it wasnt working right now. But when I clicked sync all it went through fine, but still no contacts, or any calender info.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
You sir, have an extraordinary amount of patience.

I used the regular free MyBackup, but I followed the steps to save the 'Scene' but I understand now why it probably didnt save after the reset.

Power cycling now, I hope it helps. For what its worth, I dont ever use GMail and have always had the sync off until before the reset when I synced everything. Would that have mattered? Or is there any way to access it from the computer through my gmail account?

Power cycling did not work. When I did that though there was an exclamation next to the contacts under the sync section, saying there was syncing errors and it wasnt working right now. But when I clicked sync all it went through fine, but still no contacts, or any calender info.

Thanks. ;)

You make a great point about verifying your contact existence.

Log on to GMail account on the web. Find the Contacts link, it might vary a little, but on browsers I know, it's on the left. Go there. If your contacts are there then this is just a short-term Google issue and it will clear itself up.

Somebuddy might even know some way I don't to import/export them from there if time is of the essence - personally, I don't.

If your contacts are not on the Google server, then it's time to begin cursing my name and my eyes, I guess.

Upvote 0
I did a TRIPLICATE backup of sorts: AppBrain, ASTRO and MyBackup Pro. But I restored from MyBackup Pro.

And still you lost prefs???

Checkout this link to Sprite Mobile - Android Backup - SMS, Bookmarks, System Settings, Application Settings, Call Logs, MMS, Contacts, Photos, Video, Music and much more...

If MyBackup Pro failed to do the right job for you where Sprite would have, I'm going to pull it from the recommended procedures, depending upon other feedback.

It was my clear understanding that MyBackup Pro would have protected you from losing that stuff.

PS - Go quadruplicate - ensure stuff gets to your PC. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones