• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get 2.1 on unlocked Orange??

oc1rob

Lurker
Mar 19, 2010
UK
We have a Hero that was originally an Orange running on O2, this has now been unlocked using an unlock code but it is still running the .66 firmware (the lastest firmware that Orange have)

All the updates appear to be OTA that I have found, but O2 obviously do not support the Hero.

Do I need to boot the phone to a true HTC rom or can I go straight to 2.1 via the PC??

If anybody can give me some basic steps to get to 2.1 it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

I don't think there are any PC .exe files for the new updates yet. Even if there were, they wouldn't install on an Orange hero (only the yet to be released orange 2.1 firmware would install, since they check serial numbers).

You would have to do the goldcard method to install the unbranded 1.5 firmware, and then install the OTA update from within that ROM. A few people here have apparently done this successfully.

Have a look at the stickies of the rooting section of the forum for a guide to goldcarding :)

(Since debranding the hero is almost the same technique as rooting it, bear in mind your warranty is at risk doing this).

Reactions: oc1rob
Upvote 0
Have a look at this thread, it's full of people debranding to get the update :)

No, in theory it's not possible to relock your phone accidentally. However, have a look at the thread I linked to. Android1230 mentioned that debranding makes orange phones like yours start asking for unlock codes again due to the radio. You can see from my reply, I think they're thinking of something else, but you might want to hold off until they get back to me.

EDIT: I would definitely not debrand your hero right now. It seems there might well be a problem with the radio.

Reactions: oc1rob
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones