• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root how to install cm6/7 (comprehensive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokenpoke

Android Expert
Feb 10, 2011
Miami, FL
www.facebook.com
This thread is now obsolete, but is left intact for need of any prior reference - for the new version of this, kindly see -

http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/320265-ultimate-ascend-customization-guide.html

~~~~~~~~~~old thread below~~~~~~

i posted this in another thread but to avoid answering the same questions 100xs...

any one should be able to install cm6 or 7 simply by following along with the directions. if you try to read it without any experience in flashing you will be confused. just do what is listed in the order i list them and it will be more clear as you go.

please visit the wiki for updates CM7-Ascend - Prepaid Android or: CyanogenMod 6.1.1 Alpha - Prepaid Android

back up contacts... contacts, menu button, more, manage contacts, backup to sd

download these files...

CLOCKWORK MOD RECOVERY (NECESSARY FOR BOTH ROMS)

CWM Recovery.zip (cwm 2.1.5.8, unzip and move the "recovery.img" to a folder called "2.1.5.8 recovery)

recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ascend.img (save in cwm folder and rename it recovery.img replacing the moved file)

CM7
http://android.d3xt3r01.tk/cyanogen/gapps/gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip (auto download cm7 gapps)

CM7-Ascend-04162011-signed.zip (newest nightly of cm7)

OR

CM6

http://goo-inside.me/google-apps/gapps-mdpi-20101020-signed.zip (gapps auto download for cm6 gapps.)

Download cm6-ascend-04162011.zip for free on uploading.com (cm6)

METRO USERS ONLY also download the mms fix zips (gb for cm7 and froyo for cm6) from the bottom of the first post here:

[4.13.2011] MetrOFF v1.1 | MetroPCS One-Flash-Fix [MMS] - xda-developers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

boot your phone into debug mode (fastboot) press, in order, VOLUME ROCKER DOWN+END (HANG UP)+ POWER. your phone will stay at the huawei screen. attach to pc using usb cord.

open the cwm folder you replaced the recovery.img in. open the following files (you may see the dos box open briefly, this shows it worked all file are labled according to os, choose for your os)

adb
fastboot
install recovery

unplug your phone from the pc and remove the battery for ten seconds.

boot to cwm VOLUME ROCKER UP+CALL BUTTON+POWER

USING THE TRACK BALL

go to backup/restore and select backup.

reboot phone and connect to usb

copy your sd card a folder for safe keeping.

copy gapps and cm7 .zips to sd card

disconnect from usb and turn off phone.

boot to fast boot (vol DOWN, HANGUP, POWER)

connect usb to pc

open cwm folder previously dl/d and: run the install-recovery file according to os (for windows .bat)

disconnect usb and pull Battery out for ten seconds

boot into cwm
your cwm should now be orange and black instead of green and black.

use your track ball to select (in order) the following commands

wipe data/ factory reset
wipe cache

advanced

wipe dalvik cache

(optional) press the back button (the arrow) on your phone.
under mounts and storage, format following...
boot
data
system
cache

press the back button (the arrow) on your phone.

install .zip from sd
chose zip from sd.
install cm7 rom
install gapps

press back on your phone

select:
advanced,
fix permissions

restart system now.

METRO ONLY!!!

while you wait move the 2.1.5.8 recover.img back to the cwm folder and replace the 3.0.2.4 recovery.img

complete setup and turn off phone

boot fast boot and run the install-recovery file according to os

reboot cwm

you shuld have 2.1.5.8

go to install zip from sd and choose the download from the xda post.

METRO USERS ONLY!!!!

in app drawer open "voice dialer" and say "open apns" select ok

make sure the metro pcs apn is selected.

these are the setting i have...

apn settings:

metropcs
wap.metropcs.net
not set
not set
MDN@metropcs.net
Http://mertopcs.net/mmsc
not set
notset
default,supl,mms

have fun, any questions pm me. please don't clutter this thread.

thank you

Thanks for posting these instructions. I was to afraid to install CM7 without a guide. I am however confused with the ClockWorkMod. I already have ClockWork 2.5 from Icarus (Which I am running now) Can I use 2.5 to install CM7? If I need version 3 will running the ClockWork .bat file or (whatver operating system you have) get rid of version 2.5 and install 3 without causing bricking or issues?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting these instructions. I was to afraid to install CM7 without a guide. I am however confused with the ClockWorkMod. I already have ClockWork 2.5 from Icarus (Which I am running now) Can I use 2.5 to install CM7? If I need version 3 will running the ClockWork .bat file or (whatver operating system you have) get rid of version 2.5 and install 3 without causing bricking or issues?

Thanks
I installed 3 direct from the market w/o doing anything with a pc. Whats all this about??? lol

Then I just dl'd the new version .img last night from isaac's wiki page n put it on my sd card n upgrade from within cwm.

Sorry not trying to be confusing, but thats how I did it n its been working fine.

Edit, I do believe its been posted that 2.5 will work too tho.

Upvote 0

Thanks

I can't remember if it was on a thread here or on Prepaid Androids but I'm 99% sure that Isaac said you could use 2.5 but he put the link for 3 because some people want the newest and greatest.

Reactions: Lennatron
Upvote 0
I installed 3 direct from the market w/o doing anything with a pc. Whats all this about??? lol

Then I just dl'd the new version .img last night from isaac's wiki page n put it on my sd card n upgrade from within cwm.

Sorry not trying to be confusing, but thats how I did it n its been working fine.

Edit, I do believe its been posted that 2.5 will work too tho.

how did u install the cwm via rom manager using the .img?

Upvote 0
i did all this but didnt use the new cwm and was stuck at the red huawei logo for like an hour so i just restored, do u think it was because i didnt use the new cwm?
umm not sure, some have said they've used 2.5 with no issues. It may be a fone to fone thing like a few other things lol

Upvote 0
umm not sure, some have said they've used 2.5 with no issues. It may be a fone to fone thing like a few other things lol

it is a phone to phone thing. isaac actually had to disable auto oc to 710 because some phones will crash and boot loop. 2.1.5.8 and up all work but i put the recommended cwm from pipkk2's wiki because it was what isaac suggested. there have been problems flashing cm6 and getting your card to mount with anything but cwm 3.0.2.4

i also put the desktop instructions only because i'm not very familiar with rom manager (i used it to update to 3.0.0.5 but that's all) and this is how i did cwm for icarus when i had no memory left on my phone to fit rom manager w/o deleting a bunch of apps and wasting time doing so.

i put cwm on my sd card but it only says 3.0.1.4 hahaha whatever ill see if it works

it will work.

Upvote 0
it is a phone to phone thing. isaac actually had to disable auto oc to 710 because some phones will crash and boot loop. 2.1.5.8 and up all work but i put the recommended cwm from pipkk2's wiki because it was what isaac suggested. there have been problems flashing cm6 and getting your card to mount with anything but cwm 3.0.2.4

i also put the desktop instructions only because i'm not very familiar with rom manager (i used it to update to 3.0.0.5 but that's all) and this is how i did cwm for icarus when i had no memory left on my phone to fit rom manager w/o deleting a bunch of apps and wasting time doing so.

it will work.
ahh k gotcha. I dont miss having to flash from a computer AT ALL lol. Alot easier and simpler. But it nice to know it can be done either way tho ;)

Reactions: AndroidFan420
Upvote 0
ahh k gotcha. I dont miss having to flash from a computer AT ALL lol. Alot easier and simpler. But it nice to know it can be done either way tho ;)

i just tried rom manager again, auto update... still gives 3.0.0.5. damn. hoping to kill three steps there.

flashing from pc also reminds you to backup your sd, since youre at the pc already.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why the ClockWork is a Img file. Do I move the Image file to the SD card, then go to ClockWork 2.5 on the phone (Already installed) and will there be an option or something to upgrade the ClockWork?

Thanks

no, you either replace the .img file on your pc or put it in the sd card and load it from rom manager. (it's an app, just to clear the air.)

Upvote 0
I don't understand why the ClockWork is a Img file. Do I move the Image file to the SD card, then go to ClockWork 2.5 on the phone (Already installed) and will there be an option or something to upgrade the ClockWork?

Thanks
very top option 'flash cwmr'

cwm creates img files when it creates backups ;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones