• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to know if remote erase worked? (Android Device Manager)

Philwil

Lurker
Dec 21, 2014
Got my phone stolen yesterday and thus I used Android Device Manager to remotely erase all data on my phone. However at the time of doing so, the thief had turned my phone off as I couldnt call it. So was hoping the thief would either use his own simcard on my phone to connect to the internet or use wifi. But at the same time my phone has the pattern lock screen on, so he would need to bypass that first... unless he figured the pattern out as it could be clearly visible with my finger smudges, which it sometimes is.

I sent a whatsapp message to my phone at 1:56, and it showed one "gray tick". Which means message has been sent but not yet delivered. At 3:14 the message got two "gray ticks" indicating that the device received the message. So he must have gone online! I sent more whatsapp messages to my phone but they never received, just that one time at 3:14, so I assume remotely erase all data worked! Sucks Google wont send you an email letting you know if the device go the erase data command.

When I looked at the Device Manager in my Google account it shows when my phone synced last, and it shows 30min before it got stolen. It didnt show last sync at the time the whatsapp message got received since he must of been online then. So my question is, is the last synced message a reliable way of seeing when my phone went online last? Is it possible that my phone got the erase all data command, but didnt sync and therefore doesnt show up "last synced" at the time when my phone got erased? Because the last sync is still a time before it got stolen.

Freaking out about all the data in my phone and sdcard. Hope its erased.

My daughter's iPhone was stolen in Dominican, so we tried to locate it but no luck. Anyway half an hour we called provider and locked the sim. We were not charged in the next bill nothing for roaming. So we are guessing that the thief took out right away the simcard. Who knows who is using it.
On my s4 mini I installed find my iPhone, so last time she forgot it in a place, we were able to locate and called the place and she got it back. But it was Canada not sure what would have happened overseas. Good luck.

Upvote 0
The sim card wouldn't matter as long as your phone was registered with your Google account and it connects to any data source. The second it connected the device shuts down and resets. There's not much anybody can do about that. If you check Device Manager now it might show you the time the phone last connected. If it was after the time you send the command to wipe your data, you can be pretty sure it was erased.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones