• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how to remove the red circle on the phone icon?

Hi all,
love the phone, but need help with this one.

There is a persistant. number in a red circle over
my phone icon. I have deleted my phone logs, restarted my phone, deleted and reinstalled the icon, but can't seem to clear the red circle.

please help.

I don't have the S3 yet, so not positive, but I know on iOS this indicates you have a notification of some sort within the app. Do you have a new voicemail or sms of some kind you haven't listened to yet? I'm just guessing here. I don't have anything like this on my S2.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the reply. No voicemail or messages that I can find.
it's got me stumped.

Only other thing I can think of is you have a 3rd party app like 'TeslaUnread' that is adding an indicator to the icon.

I'm sorry, wish I could be more help. Supposed to be getting the S3 here this week. Then you should be able to get more help for all the North American users.

Upvote 0
Screenshot below:

tcentral
tcentral

Upvote 0
Have someone call and do not answer, does the number stay the same or increment?

If stays the same, clear the missed call from the log. Tap the notification do not clear the notification let it happen when you enter the log.

If it increments, not sure what to do since you say you cleared the log but it thinks there is a missed call.

Upvote 0
any suggestions or advice how to back up all my apps and data? Many thanks to all.

Install SMS Backup & Restore from the Play Store to backup all your messages and restore later.

Make sure your contacts are synced with google before you factory reset.

After the wipe, when you sign back into google, all your contacts should automatically restore, and all your apps will automatically download and install themselves in one big onslaught of installation.

Of course if you have personal files like music or pictures, you should copy them to your computer or external SDcard first.

Upvote 0
I was thinking that would happen. I've tried all the suggestions above and no change. any suggestions or advice how to back up all my apps and data? Many thanks to all.

As suggested backup your sms using the application suggested. The phone will do the rest.

Make sure your connected to wifi when restoring. And be patience restoring does take time

Upvote 0
I'm sorry to hear that you can't resolve this because it is annoying and a wipe seems like a really drastic solution.

Luckily, I found that going into the logs and deleting the last missed called from the log removed the red circle.

Even though this thread is quite old, I just wanted to mention this so that everyone that visits here tries this first before moving to the more complex and time consuming (and possibly problematic) solution of saving, syncing and contacting the provider (ugh!) to reset your phone.

Basic Info: I have a Galaxy S3 and I'm on the Sprint Network at this time.
This issue had never occurred before.

Reactions: Investor22
Upvote 0
Hi all,

my phone icon. I have deleted my phone logs, restarted my phone, deleted and reinstalled the icon, but can't seem to clear the red circle.

please help.

Simple solution... worked for me!

Go to settings>applications manager> badge provider > clear memory
go back to phone icon> call log > delete all calls log

ta dah....red circle gone!!!

Upvote 0
Hi all,

please help.

[FONT=&quot]Go into Settings>Application manager. Move over to All and then down to BadgeProvider. Clear data and Force stop. Reboot the phone and see if it is correct.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones