[HOW TO] Root the GSM/HSPA+ Samsung Galaxy Nexus

1. Needz_Android

Needz_Android Well-Known Member

also, do you have to have any special settings checked on your phone before rooting? like debugging or anything like that?
  2. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

That sucks. But I know how you feel. I was one of those that sat around all Saturday waiting for my DInc to show up, and never checked the updated tracking. Got delivered on Monday, and sig required so back to the store.

I almost had to order the GNex online, but timing worked out that I could pick it up.

Yes. Others answered that correctly.

LOL, :D
  3. nj02vette

Only for the manual methods when you have to push the superuser files to the phone.

With my method above (which is just a conglomoration of the manual and superboot methods), nothing needed to be set.
  4. Needz_Android

okay cool. so you used the "2nd" method in the OP?
  5. tluley51

tluley51 Well-Known Member

Wishing there was an easier way like on my locked Droid X...Don't really understand why there isn't a true 1 click root method, but I guess after it only being 24 hours old I should just shut my mouth and wait and see if one comes out.
  6. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

Just to verify as I have been having issues rooting this device. Do I need to fastboot first then root? i've been trying the "1 click" superboot, and it just wont succeed just hangs at the "waiting for device" prompt. I believe the drivers are installed properly.
  7. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Okay, so here's the deal:

1 click root methods only work when someone finds a vulnerability in the OS to exploit. In reality, it's really not the method that's ideal because it means that another app - a malicious app - can gain root access to your phone.

I'm sure there will be a vulnerability discovered in ICS to gain root through a one click method. However, it's a brand new OS, so nobody has found those vulnerabilities yet. Also, people are much less focused on finding it, because the only two ICS phones right now have unlocked bootloaders, so they don't need one click methods.

That's why there are no one click methods yet.
  8. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Yes. You must unlock the bootloader using the fastboot commands prior to running the Superboot script.
  9. fran1r

fran1r Well-Known Member

Had questions. Googled and figured it out.
    Got Superuser!

Thanks so much.
    nj02vette likes this.
  10. woodstorm

woodstorm Well-Known Member

Awesome job. Was getting a little confused with all the different methods. Thanks
  11. Needz_Android

damn i wish you didn't edit your post. you had good questions about the C:\nexus thing. i was confused by that and was hoping for an answer
  12. fran1r

fran1r Well-Known Member

I can tell you what I did. I put the mouse on c:\Nexus, held down shift and right clicked. Then I selected open command prompt here.
    Then I typed in all the stuff, one thing at a time.
  13. Needz_Android

so did you successfully unlock and root?
  14. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

If you are getting waiting for device the fastboot driver isn't installed you can verify by typing fastboot devices. Use the naked Samsung driver or when ur sitting in fastboot on your computer go into the device manager and find Android 1 with a yellow exclamation and update the driver with the USB zip in the op
  15. fran1r

fran1r Well-Known Member

16. Needz_Android

where do you get the naked drivers? are they not the same ones on samsungs webite? Samsung
  17. nj02vette

Sometimes I may go a little too fast. Easiest way to get to command prompt in Windows is Start and then type "cmd". Then use does commands to get to the correct folder.
  18. nj02vette

Combo of 2nd and 3rd methods with another section for using different drivers and their installation.
  19. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

Its in the first post under Windows USB drivers , naked samsung 1.7 driver

** Heres a link if you cant find it
  20. Needz_Android

njo2vette can you tell me where to get the samsung drivers?
  21. Needz_Android

thanks i got them.

what do you mean here: "Went into device manager and pointed the unidentified device to the C:\Gnex directory and it installed and recognized the drivers."
  22. EraserXIV

EraserXIV Member

What are the consequences of pulling the battery? I'm an idiot and freaked out while it was booting and pulled the battery. But when I put the battery back in and restarted again I was more patient and it booted up fine. I've been chugging along fine for the past 24 hours or so, but I'm wondering if I should be worried something may have been affected.
  23. Needz_Android

okay how do i get to the c:\gnex command prompt when i have the command prompt open?
  24. Needz_Android

when i run cmd its path is at c:\documents and settings\

how do i get it to c:\gnex
  25. Needz_Android

for some reason i don't have this option when i hold shift and right click