• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how to set facebook notifications

axel_2078

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2010
Fairview Heights, IL
How do I get notified when I have a new facebook message? I don't seem to be getting any, but when I use the Facebook app, I can see new messages. I'm coming from a BB Curve where I got actual facebook message notifications when I had a new message or someone replied to a thread that I had commented in. Does Android not do that?

Goto the facebook app and on the home screen hit menu -> Settings -> Put a check in notifications and also set your refresh interval. Now scroll down and set how you want to be notified.

I already have the notifications set and the refresh is currently set to 1 hour. I still haven't received any notifications of new messages. Where are the notifications placed? Do you get a pop up with the number of new messages over the facebook app icon (that's what it does on my BB) or does it appear in the notifications area, or what?

Upvote 0
Same problem here. I too am coming from a blackberry where the notifications came in automatically.

Personally I think it might have something to do with the way the Blackberry treated the Facebook notification emails. It would filter them to a separate folder so you didn't get a notification by both the Facebook app and Gmail.

I can get my notifications if I manually go into the Faceboom app and click refresh, but they don't come up automatically. And I know it has nothing to do with the timeframe in my situation because I did it recently and got notifications from 5 hours earlier.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way yet on Android. Blackberry intercept the facebook emails and turns them in to a notification. On Android you well get notified but only at your refresh interval. If you are set to refresh once an hour then when it goes out and checks for that hour if here are new messages or updates you will be notified. Not again for another hour though. The only thing in the mean time is the emails. Hopefully someday the app will have a true real time notification like Blackberry and iPhone when it works properly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones