how to set facebook notificationsSupport

Last Updated:

1. axel_2078

axel_2078 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do I get notified when I have a new facebook message? I don't seem to be getting any, but when I use the Facebook app, I can see new messages. I'm coming from a BB Curve where I got actual facebook message notifications when I had a new message or someone replied to a thread that I had commented in. Does Android not do that?

Advertisement
  2. Primate

Primate Well-Known Member

Goto the facebook app and on the home screen hit menu -> Settings -> Put a check in notifications and also set your refresh interval. Now scroll down and set how you want to be notified.

3. axel_2078

I already have the notifications set and the refresh is currently set to 1 hour. I still haven't received any notifications of new messages. Where are the notifications placed? Do you get a pop up with the number of new messages over the facebook app icon (that's what it does on my BB) or does it appear in the notifications area, or what?

4. axel_2078

Update: I'm now getting emails sent to my gmail address associated with my facebook account everytime someone makes a comment in a thread I post in. Can I not get actual facebook updates? It's kind of annoying to get new emails every few seconds about facebook updates.

5. WPerry66

WPerry66 Active Member

Same problem here. I too am coming from a blackberry where the notifications came in automatically.

Personally I think it might have something to do with the way the Blackberry treated the Facebook notification emails. It would filter them to a separate folder so you didn't get a notification by both the Facebook app and Gmail.

I can get my notifications if I manually go into the Faceboom app and click refresh, but they don't come up automatically. And I know it has nothing to do with the timeframe in my situation because I did it recently and got notifications from 5 hours earlier.

6. Brian_83

Brian_83 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way yet on Android. Blackberry intercept the facebook emails and turns them in to a notification. On Android you well get notified but only at your refresh interval. If you are set to refresh once an hour then when it goes out and checks for that hour if here are new messages or updates you will be notified. Not again for another hour though. The only thing in the mean time is the emails. Hopefully someday the app will have a true real time notification like Blackberry and iPhone when it works properly.

7. dbrits

dbrits Well-Known Member

Has anyone here tried Bloo? There's mention in the comments that some receive their Facebook notifications almost instantaneously...

8. Aarong

Aarong New Member

yeah i'm using bloo and they're instant. but i cant reply to anything for some reason

9. NovaTek

NovaTek New Member

Ok I'm a noob that came from a blackberry too, I don't mind the email notifications, but the funny part is that I do, but they are marked read as soon as they hit the phone, how do I stop it from doing that ?

10. Berry2Droid

Berry2Droid Well-Known Member

I think, that like blackberry, you might need to have your facebook email address on your phone to get them. I have this same problem.

11. juan.ferrari

juan.ferrari Member

Im downloading bloo. Let s see how that works

12. juan.ferrari

juan.ferrari Member

Installed, works great!!