• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

You need to get busybox installed before you do anything else. Which recovery did you download?

VM670NH_recovery.img from the link on the first post in this thread. I haven't done anything with it yet though because I need clarification on how to proceed with the FlashImageGUI.zip file from within AndroZip.

Are you saying I need to get busybox before installing FlashImageGUI?

Upvote 0
thanks

I got the jrummy one and installed the latest version of busybox to /system/bin

(the default choice was /system/xbin but that didn't work so I switched it to /system/bin and it installed fine)

I'm still confused about how to proceed with the FlashImageGUI.zip file from within
AndroZip because it is a zip file, not a apk file as stated by the OP. Do I need to extract first?

Upvote 0
I just downloaded it. It's an .apk.
Whent to the download folder, long pressed the .apk, selected move. Hit backbutton. Selected move here button.
Follow the rest of the instructions after you delete the first .apk, redownload the .apk from your phone and do what I did ^.

okay I figured out what happened - though i don't know why - it's strange...

if I download the file using opera, i get FlashImageGUI.zip

but if I download the file using dolphin, I get FlashImageGUI.apk

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
okay, apparently i am an idiot. i followed all of the directions, except i forgot to put the actual ROM on my sdcard; i only put the google apps and a theme for BACKside. so i installed the theme and google apps from zip in recovery mode then rebooted the phone. it stayed on the lg logo, of course, because there was no ROM. so i went back in recovery mode and did a restore and rebooted. the lg logo came, and the virgin mobile jingle came on, but now it is stuck on a black screen with the red and black virgin mobile logo. i don't know what to do :( did i brick my phone???

UPDATE: okay, i figured out that i had to go to advanced restore and restore the system from there, and it worked. i was able to plug my phone into the pc and put BACKside on the sd card. i just installed that and the google apps. i rebooted, the lg logo came on and now the BACKside IHO logo is on the screen. how long is that supposed to stay there?

UPDATE: clearly i am impatient lol. i got it now :D

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
could someone please explain what exactly that step does?

I'm afraid it's going to flash my phone or something

please remember I'm new to this

thanks!

Its like it says in the OP,

"The recovery image is an alternative bootup instead of normal Android Operating System. It allows low-level operations such as backup/restore a ROM, wipe partitions, and flash ROMs."

So you need to flash that recovery if you are going follow the rest of the steps and put on a new ROM after rooting. Follow all the steps to the letter and you will be fine. It hasn't been that long since I first did it. I know its a high pucker factor the first time. :D

Upvote 0
Yes. Then reboot your phone. Go to market and update the superuser app as well.

Thanks

I've updated the SU binaries. (I had already updated SuperUser)

Just to be clear... when I run Flash Image GUI, I browse to the VM670NH_recovery.img file on the SD card, choose the Flash Image option, *leave both Clear Dalvik and Clear Cache UNchecked* and tap Flash Image? Is that correct?

Sorry about all the questions... I just don't want to make any stupid mistakes. :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones