1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

How To Turn Off WiFi? (SPRINT)Support

1. AlwaysAngry

AlwaysAngry Well-Known Member

when i turn the wifi off (from status bar or settings), the phone still automatically connects to open networks no matter what i do!!! this means that the phone is still searching for wifi, wasting battery. a specific example is in home depot when i'm trying to use my 3g instead of their spy-fi, it will automatically detect their open network and connect :mad:.

what am i missing?
    am i the only one?
    can this be fixed?

Advertisement
  2. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Well-Known Member

What provider do you have? For ATT they have Auto connect under advanced settings in WIFI. I think sprint also has an option that the phone will detect whatever is fastest and auto connect.
    AlwaysAngry likes this.
  3. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I think I remember that you're on Sprint. If so:

Menu>Settings>MoreSettings>MobileNetworks>ConnectionsOptimizer

When Pop-up comes up, Hit the Back button (do not hit 'I Agree'). That should bring you to the Connections Optimizer Screen, where there's a toggle that you can un-check. Once that's un-checked, hit the back button to exit and go back to your homescreens.
    AlwaysAngry likes this.
  4. AlwaysAngry

so will i still go between 3g and 4g/lte automatically with that disabled or do i need to do that manually now? and if so, how? also, if i have wifi on, will it still auto-connect?
  5. drexappeal

Yes. There should be no problems with 3g or 4g. The Connections Optimizer was basically devised for people that really don't know how to use the toggle for wi-fi (my take on it).

If you have wi-fi on, but you go away from a router that you have saved, it'll automatically go to 3g/4g...but the connections optimizer will stay off.

I have toggled Connections Optimizer off from day 1 of owning the Note 2, back in November, and it works exactly as I prefer having it work. In the event I forget to toggle it off, when going out of range of the signal, it auotmatically toggles on 3g/4g. When I turn wi-fi off, the connections optimizer doesn't try to turn it back on, when there's a wi-fi signal in range.

-EDIT- I suggest you specify in your thread title or 1st post that you have Sprint. Not all providers have a "Connections Optimizer" and I believe there are some providers that force a connections optimizer, regardless of a user turning wi-fi off.
    AlwaysAngry likes this.
  6. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

Not sure if this will work for you.

Go into Settings>Wi-Fi. You should have a screen that displays active Wi-Fi signals. Hit the Menu button and select 'Advanced'.

Uncheck both 'Network notification' and 'Check for internet service'.

I have my Wi-Fi on 24/7. Moment I leave home, it goes to 4G/LTE automatically. Even though there are 5-6 active Wi-Fi signals it will not connect to them.

But in Canada and don't have this network optimizer.
  7. AlwaysAngry

^ yup, that's how i had /still have it.
  8. drexappeal

I have that setup as well. For Sprint, the connections optimizer is what ends up turning wi-fi back on (even when I don't want it on).