• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps How to write call blocking app

Lop3

Lurker
Aug 25, 2014
I need to create an app with a function that

* Is registered with the phone, so that any calls between certain hours will cause the function to run, for my app to approve the call.

* Get the hour of the day (0 to 23)

* Get the contact's name

* Determine if the number is unknown

* The function will examine the caller and decide if the phone can ring/vibrate normally, or if the call will be blocked (neither ring nor vibrate)

-------

3 years ago I attended an android app workshop to make an app in Eclipse. I'm sure a lot has changed since then.

I don't know anything about making android apps and I don't have many hours to do this, but I'm an experienced developer in a few other languages, and on linux/windows, but almost no Java experience.

Would it be possible to get this done in an hour?

Can someone please give me a step by step procedure of what must be done to achieve the above.

Something like (I'm making this up, this is an example of what I'd like)

1. Create an account at google appstore developer blah
2. Download and install blah IDE
3. Do something with the phone
4. Create a new project of this type
5. Create the function using these hooks, or see documentation for intercepting calls x
6. Get incoming caller's info like this
7. Get the hour of the day like this
8. Block or allow the call like this
9. Upload the app like this

Some example code would be helpful as well. It doesn't necessarily need to do everything perfectly.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones