• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOWTO] Root your Vibrant

I did this method of Rooting.

Went through all the steps and when it came to the rebooting i clicked down on the volume button and turned it on at the same time.

I got this picture of an android saying

Downloading...

Do not turn off target!!!

Its been like this for 20 + minutes. am i doing something wrong or is this how the rebooting process goes? Please help first time android user and ROOTER!!!

Reactions: ADTdeveloper
Upvote 0
I did this method of Rooting.

Went through all the steps and when it came to the rebooting i clicked down on the volume button and turned it on at the same time.

I got this picture of an android saying

Downloading...

Do not turn off target!!!

Its been like this for 20 + minutes. am i doing something wrong or is this how the rebooting process goes? Please help first time android user and ROOTER!!!

That just means the phone is in download mode. No worries. Just reboot the phone. Hold the Power button down for 10 seconds or pull the battery.

Once the phone is back up you can check to see if rooting was successful.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Can one of you guys please help me?
I am having trouble rooting my phone. I have never rooted my phone before. I recently update to froyo through the tmobile website.

i found rooting instructions through out several forums and googling one click roots and nothing, this is everything that i have done to my phone just in case you guys need this info....

I downloaded z4root and followed the instructions. I first tried temp root and the process froze mid way im assuming. It vibrated several times and went back to the normal homescreen as if i had just hit the home button. I noticed busy box wasnt installed so i tried z4root again but this time i selected the permanent root and the same thing happened. My phone vibrated several times and nothing, it went back to the homescreen. I googled why this was happening and i read that i should reboot phone and try again and that it should work the second time. But that did not work either. I then just restored my phone to factory settings and deleted z4root out of my memory.

I found a different root option from the unblockr website. I followed the directions again. I right clicked on "vibrant one click root' and ran it as an administrator. I selected root and when i was in recovery mode i selected reinstall packages like it said. (usb debugging has been selected throughout this whole time)
Well when this was happening, it said:

reboot system
reinstall packages
delete all user data
formate internal sd card

udpate media, please wait
update media, finished
#MANUAL MODE#
--applying mulit-csc.......
installing multi-csc

Install default apk-files. please wait
install default apk-files. finished

--install from sd card...
finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package.....

E:SIGNATURE VERIFICATION FAILED
INSTALLATION ABORTED.

so then i have to hit reboot because it does not finish the rooting process. Im assuming im doing something wrong since i am a noob at this but cant figure it out and i dont want to brick my phone. can someone please help me. pweeease

okay...i posted this last night on another forum and no one ever responded. so i found this rooting one and followed the instructions. i didnt have any previous update.zip fiiles or anything on my phone. i downloaded the same one again from the xda site that was attached earlier on this thread. I put my phone in debug mode. i dragged the update.zip file to my internal memory. turned phone off. went into recovery mode and it said the same thing again after i selected reinstall packages:

eboot system
reinstall packages
delete all user data
formate internal sd card

udpate media, please wait
update media, finished
#MANUAL MODE#
--applying mulit-csc.......
installing multi-csc

Install default apk-files. please wait
install default apk-files. finished

--install from sd card...
finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package.....

E:SIGNATURE VERIFICATION FAILED
INSTALLATION ABORTED.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

Upvote 0
This is what you need to read, post # 10 and # 12:
http://androidforums.com/vibrant-al...-clockwork-still-get-stock-recovery-menu.html

Once you've installed the 3e recovery, it'll fix the signature verification failed.

After that you should use the SuperOneClick method to root 2.2:
[APP]SuperOneClick v1.7 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App) - xda-developers

You could also read this thread, starting with post # 3, another person who was in a similar situation:
http://androidforums.com/vibrant-all-things-root/274306-rom-flashing-qs.html

Upvote 0
So here is my problem......so far no one not even XDA website has gotten back to me about this. I flashed the lasted rom for Vibrant 3G KB1 rom and now, superoneclick, Universal root, and root me do NOT work. All of them fail in the process. So how do I go about rooting my phone WITHOUT attaching my phone to the computer and running a script?

Upvote 0
You need to check out the section on XDA titled something like "Make recovery 3e work like recovery 2e" There are some other things too. I will track them down and and them to this post.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=923483 Try the one click program in post 8 of this thread.

that and the recovery 3e to 2e thing should do the job. Otherwise you could ODIN back to stock, root, and flash stock KB1 over the top of it, and save yourself the hassle.

Upvote 0
i am a newbie here in android
i want to root my phone , i tried many of the methods but none of them worked for me , i can see the super user app in my phone after rooting it but when i open the app its just the blank screen and nothing else

my phone is SAMSUNG VIBRANT
MODEL NO--SGH-T959
FIRMWARE VERSION--2.2
BASEBAND VERSION--T959UVKB5
KERNEL VERSION--2.6.32.9
BUILD NUMBER--FROYO.UVKB5

PLEASE ANYONE CAN HELP ME TO ROOT MY PHONE........... THANX

Upvote 0
Download Root Checker from Market to see if you actually have rooting privilege. I think you have already rooted your phone. Rooting is not an App, per se, it gives you administrative privilege that you can further do other things, such as install custom ROM. The reason why you don't see anything in the "app" is because you don't have any program that requires root privilege, such as ROM Manager or Titanium Backup.

Upvote 0
Hello All, this is my first post. I have read and read on my issue with no resolve. Before I get started here are my specs.

Model # SGH-T959
Firmware 2.1-update1
Baseband T959UVKA2
Kernel 2.6.29
Build # ECLAIR.UVKA2
Windows 7 on my Laptop
Vista on my Desktop

This all started when I tried to hook my phone to my PC to transfer my pics and videos. At one time I was able to do this without an issue, but not anymore. I have spent tons of time reading post after post, following peoples directions and my PC still does not recognize my phone. To avoid getting the same posts I have already read here is a glimps of what I have done so far.

Plugged my phone into the USB ports in the back of my PC
I am using the correct USB cable supplied with my phone.
Tried all USB settings
Tried USB debugging Checked and Unchecked
Tried Unknown sources Checked and Unchecked
Factory reset my phone
Installed Kies, updated it and installed drivers
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers
I probably tried a ton of other things, but can't remember the specifics.

When I plug my phone in via the USB cable I get the following message.

USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

I ended up deciding to root my phone. I followed the directions from the first post in this Thread and installed the update.zip without and issue. I did not see much change, but I'm not sure I was supposed to. Still v 2.1.1. and I still cannot connect to my PC.

I also tried SuperOneClick, but since my phone does not connect that does not work. I can transfer files from my PC via the SD card, but I just need to know what to do.

All I want is a phone that is up to date and that I can connect to my PC for transferring pics and vids. Is that too much to ask?

Please can anyone help me???

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I did all of this, probably like 10 times or more now. Tried many different things as well.. still hasn't rooted. When I get to the blue option screen, I don't get the choice to "Reinstall Packages". It's something like "Update package" or whatever, so I did. Then another option popped up asking which one I wanted to use for the update, so I clicked on "Update.zip".. didn't work. It started to, but after a second or so it said it was aborted, so I had to reboot it. Any idea what I'm either doing wrong, or what I need in order to do it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones