• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HP 12C Calculator Application

I have just found this forum. Great discusssion. I have been a HP12C addict since 1990 or so. I live in Canada and interest rates here are quoted as semi-annual compounding. We cannot use the "12./." function key but we have a programme that we can install in the 12C that allows us to just enter the annual interest rate, push R/S and it will convert to the correct monthly rate and automatically input that result into the "i" key. Obviously the programming feature will be very attractive to Canadian 12C users. :)

I like the Canadian interest rate feature too. Is it in the program? Haven't bought it yet, but soon.

Upvote 0
great. Just found this post on android forums today.

As the owner of an original 1981 hp 12c, still working perfectly after 29 years, i'm very happy to hear about the hp 12c look alike calculator for android with rpn functionality.

I will download it shortly.

And thanks to ed falk for being a developer who takes the time to monitor these forums and learn from the users (and potential users) of his app. Good on ya ed!

who is ed falk reply to charlesklein3@aol.com

Upvote 0
are you the person who wrote the hp12c for the tablet

i want to write a program for the hp33c but need to know what langauge to use

reply to charlesklein3@aol.com

Hey all; another progress update.

Programming mode works, as does save/restore. I could upload it right now if I wanted, but I couldn't guarantee HP12 compatibility.

By the way, if you'd like to see what a saved program looks like, see http://www.efalk.org/RpnCalcPro/full_part.rpn. The preliminary documentation for programming mode is at RpnCalc Pro Programming. Feel free (in fact, please do) send me feedback.

For the last month, I've been running all the examples in the HP12 manual, and any time I find a difference in behavior, I have to stop, figure out why the difference was there, and fix it. Some of the differences have been devilishly subtle. For instance, some of the HP12 programs depend on the stack being only 4 levels, so I had to modify RpnCalcPro to have a 4-level stack while in run mode, but a 16-level stack in normal mode. There are also subtleties involving when stack lift is enabled and when the last-x value is stored. These things all make a difference.

So I had a thought this morning: If anybody would like to send me their favorite HP12 programs, along with instructions on running them, the inputs they expect, and the outputs they should generate, I'll try them out on RpnCalcPro and make sure they work as expected.

Anyway, it will be on the market Real Soon Now.

Upvote 0
RPNCalcPro is a great app. Can you give us the ability to long press a key as an alternative to using the shift key? I appreciate the effort, Ed.

I'm back with a long-overdue update.

Long-press on any key is like pressing the 'f' function first. There's no equivalent for the 'g' function, but that's life.

Also: touch the display to bring up the menu. A useful feature on more modern devices with no menu button. Long-press on the display to bring up a copy/paste menu.

I completely re-wrote the core math library so now RpnCalc and RpnCalcFinancial use decimal instead of binary math. Round-off error is nearly a thing of the past. I've added a suite of about 8000 unit tests to the calculator so I test it pretty thoroughly before I release it. In nearly every function, RpnCalcFinancial gives the same result as a real HP12C, down to the last decimal place. (The one single difference I've found, it seems that the real HP12C isn't following their own published algorithm. Still working on that one.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones