• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire HD Battery Life??

I would expect the satnav to kill an android phone in a couple of hours but that would be unplugged......

I'm guessing your car charger isn't putting out a great deal of current. What's it rated at?

I read somewhere that using the satnav uses ~700mv of power, but my car charger is rated at 1000mv, so I wouldnt have expected it to charge much, especially with the screen on, but didn't expect it to lose charge.

If my charger is actually 1000mv, that would mean the screen is using about 300-400mv's, on 30% brightness.

Does anyone have a car charger that didnt cost

Upvote 0
Had mine for a few days now. I'm charging roughly every 24 hours with around 20-25% left. But then as it's new I've been playing with it alot, using it as a squeezebox remote, music, video and general faffing, auto brightness. Wifi on all the time, BT off, GPS off (I don't expect much from this as my previous Nokia N85 which lasted a good 3 or 4 days without a charge was zapped in about 4 hours with it on.)
Overall it's sufficient. So long as I get a whole day I'm happy. I have a charger on my PC, laptop, car and plugged one too, so it just isn't an issue. Gonna do what I do with cameras too and get an extra spare and external charger, so I can always swap them when needed.

One thing I noticed is that Advanced task killer seemed to have the opposite effect than I'd thought...ie reducing battery life... so that's gone.

Upvote 0
Well, the end is near for this damned phone.
Tried all the turning off of apps (ain't that just a PITA though), tried the USB Debugging turned on.
Unplugged the phone from the charger on sunday (100% charged) and within about 20mins it said I had 4hours 50mins left of life.
It sucks.
This is the comments I got back from the network:
Hello Mr. xxxxxxx,
I confirm that there is no known issue with the battery life of HTC Desire HD. The battery life details is given below:
Talk Time: 550 minutes (max)
Standby Time: 420 hours (max)
3G Talk Time: 320 minutes (max)
3G Standby Time: 490 hours (max)

I am now at the point where I am trying to think of suitable filmed demise of the phone for posting up.
Any suggestions? Phone in a blender?
Phone coated in meths and set alight?
Any particular tune to accompany it?
Have it staged in a SAW type environment?

My HTC Desire HD must die before it takes over my life constantly charging and waiting for the battery to die on me again and again. It's like Groundhog day but I'm tormented with this damn phone.

Upvote 0
I am now at the point where I am trying to think of suitable filmed demise of the phone for posting up.

Sorry but its too great a phone to watch it have a death like this. Could you do a factory reset, and not install any apps for a few days, just to see if the battery lasts any longer.

If you still only get 4 hours out of it... attach to a rocket/firework and fire into space

Upvote 0
I will quickly add that I've had my desire HD for three weeks and I can get a full days use (16 hours) with wifi on, 3g (H) making calls for an hour, texting from time to time and web browsing for an hour or two. Play angy birds usually at night which finishes my phone off before bed time charge.

I never expected this phone to go 24 hours without a charge. This is not the phone to get if you need a phone that you can call and use all day for everything. All the reviews I saw made that point very clear.

Upvote 0
Tried all the turning off of apps (ain't that just a PITA though), tried the USB Debugging turned on.
Unplugged the phone from the charger on sunday (100% charged) and within about 20mins it said I had 4hours 50mins left of life.
It sucks.

My HTC Desire HD must die before it takes over my life constantly charging and waiting for the battery to die on me again and again. It's like Groundhog day but I'm tormented with this damn phone.

What do your battery stats say?
Does the phone get hot at all? (when not in use)
After an hour or so, take out the battery. Does it feel hot?

As many have said, the phone will only last a day (16 hours) with moderate use (of everything), but yours is definitely under performing.

Upvote 0
It sucks.

Have you tried zapping the battery terminals with an ARC welder (a suggestion for improving my drill batteries lol)?

I'm joking - by the way!

How old is the phone. It should be lasting a day after a week of charging.

I don't turn off all the updates. Just set it to sync with email on the hour, weather every 8 hours, dont have FB on. Dont use twitter. Use the net and text etc through the day and the odd game. Works fine for me.

What apps have you down loaded??

Upvote 0
At this moment in time the phone is less than 4 weeks old.
Have downloaded only the advanced task killer app.

Phone will synch with our exchange server for mail only.
The contacts and calendar always fail.
We are on exchange 2010 64bit. HTC say they are working on a solution, but to be honest the blurb said it WILL synch, so at present it is not fit for purpose.

I have followed the recommendations of turning apps off, have usb debugging on, screen down to 25%, display off after 20 seconds.
All synchs set to manual where possible or at maximum time where it's not possible to turn them off completely.

I left it to it's own devices overnight a couple of times and removing the charge at ~9pm meant the phone lasted without usage until approx 8am.

HTC's advice? Despite the phone being only a week old they said send it back for repair...but leaving me with no phone.
After getting a little uptight about that they acceded to send me a replacement battery which is now fully charged and I'm awaiting the outcome.
Was on charge for 16hours minimum as recommended so we'll see how it goes.
Not happy with the HTC customer service suggestions so lets see what happens next.
The offices I am in at the moment also do the mobile phones packages for the company so my ranting about the HTC life has had a negative effect on the selection of the HTC phones as a viable international tool. Bearing in mind this covers from Aus to Alaska to Russia to UK, that's a fair few phones. Blackberries rul;e at the moment even though we do need the separate servers.

Upvote 0
I'm new to Android after moving from years of s60 and my HD had poor battery life at first, but after trying some of the suggested tweaks on here I am now getting around 12 - 18 hours with moderate/heavy use (6-8% drain per hour) Email every 30 mins, weather every hour, 30 mins browsing, 50 text messages and 20 mins on Angry Birds.

Under light/moderate use (3-5% drain per hour) i'm getting over 24 hours.
I have had the phone for about 2 weeks and the battery does definately gets better with a few charges.

Happy? Yes :)

Upvote 0
Battery power is poor for me, played a bit of angry birds today, a few texts, phone rang twice, didnt answer and the battery is below 20% where the power saver thing comes on. I have a lot of things set up to sync so i might need to change that around. Hopefully it makes a difference.

My phone lagged ALOT today too when playing angry birds and when scrolling through screens just now, anyone know why that might be? Came on pretty suddenly so its a bit odd. Never happened before.

Upvote 0
The offices I am in at the moment also do the mobile phones packages for the company so my ranting about the HTC life has had a negative effect on the selection of the HTC phones as a viable international tool. Bearing in mind this covers from Aus to Alaska to Russia to UK, that's a fair few phones. Blackberries rul;e at the moment even though we do need the separate servers.

I'm in the IT department for a large company and my recommendations for all of our staff has always been, keep it simple. Only install the applications on your computer that you need. If the computer has Internet Explorer on it, don't install Firefox as well. The equipment is for work purposes only and doesn't need to be overly complex as long as it does the job.

Therefore, Android in a corporate environment is wasteful. Your company will spend more time doing factory resets on the Phones that your users keep breaking while "playing", and giving support on how to use it, than they will gain in productivity.
Blackberry's are simple, difficult to break, and fullfil most work requirements.

Upvote 0
K,few more days here. Yesterday unplugged the charger when I got up at 06:30. Faffed around with mail and notifications, settings... BT off, GPS off, AUto brightness, Push mail (instant notification), played a little angry birds, some using as a squeezebox remote, a couple of short calls and some messing about (maybe 30 mins). Another faff about before going to bed. Had a late morning and got up around 11, battery 35%, Did some more configuration and some browsing, connected a BT headset and played around setting it up. I ended up recharging at around 14:00 with 23% left. So that's fairly reasonable usage, over 31 hours and 23% left. Will do me fine. Even so I have a spare (original) battery on order and a cradle that takes the phone and a battery.

Upvote 0
Not convinced the desire and desire hd use the same battery.....

Desire HD uses a battery that is between a 1200 to 1300mah capacity. The Desire uses a 1400mah battery, same part as the Nexus One, G2 and Desire Z.

And a tip for all the others:

Battery life tends to be short when the battery itself is new. Especially true with HTC. After several recharge and discharge cycles - you don't need the battery to be fully discharged --- the battery starts stretching. When "used", the battery tends to have a much longer life.

Used to complain a lot about my Nexus One having short battery life but that stretched out during use. Then got a Desire and same thing again--- short battery life when the bat is new, but stretches out when time passes. I also tested this out by switching the batteries between the two phones and I got the same result. The one with the new battery has the short life.

I'm not going to say however, the battery/screen/CPU ratio of the Desire HD is optimal. A Galaxy S would have a 1500mah battery. Look at the cheap LG Optimus One. 3.2" screen, HVGA, a 600Mhz ARM11 CPU, and yet its gifted with a 1500mah battery.

My other advice is to charge at every opportunity with conveniently, strategically placed micro USB cables in your home, car, and place at work.

Upvote 0
i must add, that since so many tend to reply that "well, my phone lasts for whole workday" etc. that a good phone with proper battery should last, in my opinion, at least 3 days with single charge, like my all previous phones. Including iPhone 3G. And most probably iPhone 4.

Just my two cents.
Agreed, usable battery life should be around 2~3 days, specially if you're out and about on sites in the middle of a field.

New battery arrived - its:
Model - BD26100
Rating - 3.7VDC 1230mAh 4.55Whr
S/N 2WBA109K005534 P/N 35H00141-03M

So far it has lasted 24hrs at best after being on the charger for at least 16hrs.
Not sure if it's fair test though because I have now got everything turned off and using the phone for as least time as possible (got a company crackberry for the calendar and e-mails now cos the HD was so shite).

Latest suggestion is to nail it to a piece of wood containing suitable HTC logo and roast it over an open fire, take bets on how many turns before it is deemed fully done.

I was quite prepared to give HTC the benefit and have them send a replacement phone, but their reticence to even acknowledge that their new device could ever have a battery problem has just driven me to slag it off to all and sundry.
A little customer service goes a long way but shit sticks longer.

Upvote 0
Battery power is poor for me, played a bit of angry birds today, a few texts, phone rang twice, didnt answer and the battery is below 20% where the power saver thing comes on. I have a lot of things set up to sync so i might need to change that around. Hopefully it makes a difference.

My phone lagged ALOT today too when playing angry birds and when scrolling through screens just now, anyone know why that might be? Came on pretty suddenly so its a bit odd. Never happened before.

The lag issue is a known problem that will get fixed. But you can do a temporary fix youself by switching on 'USB debugging' in 'setting', 'applications', 'developement'. This also seems to help with battery life to :) .

Upvote 0
had my HTC desire HD 2 days and the sim card and memory card container panel at phone at the bottom came off and wont connect back on i cant get any signal at all anywhere otherwise the phone is great and rely easy to use great for wathcing stuff like iplayer videos (at expence of the battery). Fortunately i took out insurance for it or i would be stuffed !! :)

Upvote 0
Hi! Got my DHD on Sunday and charged up. Started using yesterday. Here's the stats for first charge usage down to 15% (not good to fully discharge).
26hr 53 minutes
Display 49%
Voice 34%
Idle 7%
Standby 6%
Android 2%
htc 2%

I've surfed and downloaded a bit over wifi, bluetoothed over some 1600+ contacts. Not used mobile internet though and using the installed widget to switch off transmitter when not is use. Plus various voice calls.

I researched about a week before committing to the DHD and realised that people complaining seemed to have all transmissions switched on. Simply not realistic - my new super toshiba laptop will only run 8hrs on wifi. Forget 3g and Bt and 2g and the rest. More holes in the bucket and the waters gonna flow out quicker. Surprise!

Verdict - exactly the same performance as my Nokia 5800, which has a much smaller screen. All in I'd say reasonable performance.

;)

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I'm new and have a terrible battery issue.

Firstly, let me thank the forum and the community for the "usb debugging" tip. Solved my Android OS using 60% of my battery life. But now I have a new problem.

When auto-sync is on (and I like it on!) my Calendar uses between 60% and 95% of my battery! At first I thought this was due to it syncing my my google calendar (which subsequently syncs with my work outlook calendar) but have since deleted all entries and still the problem remains. I am aware that calendar uses a range of other items such as stocks within it, but cannot trace the issue!

I do not have any calendar widgets being used, I have since removed my stocks widget and have got my home screen, a screen filled with 16 programs, friend stream, texts, a frequent contacts screen and a weather widget.

Can anyone help me? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Is your Google account set to sync on the Accounts and sync page within System (I'm guessing it is seeing as you mentioned you had a Gmail account)?

I've noticed that the sync options for gmail suck, you can either set it to sync or not, there is no way of adding time frames to it.

Have you tried switching off the calendar sync on the google mail sync page?

Out of interest, have you set up your Outlook account, rather than syncing your gmail account with your work Outlook.

Upvote 0
My phone has been transformed today, i'm rocking 9/10 bars and my stats suggest 'Android OS' is now using 5% of my battery, instead of 60% that was typical before.

If your battery is terrible (6/7 hours to drain) I'd strongly suggest removing an app at a time until you hit the jackpot. I targeted the Skype/Sky News (and a couple of others) simply because they seemed to always be running when I looked at apps/services.

It's made one hell of a difference!

I'm not going to charge it now until it dies, I want to see what legs it's got.

HI,
nice to see ur experiece. Concern the battery , do u mean by removing all the apps from the display can save the battery from 60% which normal Android OS uses to 5%???
:cool:

Actually i still have this problem, the battery does not last even one dayyy. would be great share ur experience.

Greeting

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones